Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
dlyearsley
dlyearsley began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Note 10
Conversion Performance issues.

Looking for anyone running Windows 10 and Calibre 5. I am having performance issues with the Convert books button. When I am converting just one book I have noticed that it is very slow. Especially with the Metadata button. Looking to see if anyone else is having this issue. It has only happened in 5.0.

If I select 2 or more books to convert, then everything works fine.
dlyearsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
5.0 is obsoleted (issues)
5.2 is current

Sorry, but I am long past the need to bulk convert (my Library gets only a few new additions per month these days), so Single convert is all I use and I have not noticed unusual slowness.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
StegBook
StegBook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
I'm also having the same issue with slow conversions since upgrading to 5, 5.1 and 5.2.
StegBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With Calibre 5.2, I just converted 9 ePub to KF8 in about 1 minute 5 seconds. It's not slow at all.

It's most likely the source you are converting from.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
dlyearsley & StegBook - post the conversion log -- click the job spinner, press Show job details button, etc….

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
dlyearsley & StegBook - post the conversion log -- click the job spinner, press Show job details button, etc….

BR
But post it in a spoiler tag or a code block.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:11 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This isnt about errors/slowness in actual conversion, just opening the conversion dialog. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1898221
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #8
StegBook
StegBook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
It does seem to be an issue with opening the conversion dialog with a single book selected. Once it opens and you click on another tab like "Look & Feel" it pauses for a while as well. You can click on any of the other tabs in the dialog box normally, but if you click on Metadata it pauses again and when you click another tab it pauses as before.

There is no busy icon when it happens either, unless you try and click something else.

It works normally with multiple books selected.

I'm using Windows 10.
StegBook is offline   Reply With Quote