Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-12-2020, 03:06 PM   #1
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Calibre 4.22.0 update install failing on Win10

Where does Calibre store the log when an install is done?

For the first time I can recall, a Calibre update failed here. The Calibre 4.22.0 msi installer ran, started to install, then rolled back claiming an error. I'd like to know what the error was, as it's likely something I can fix. Where can I find the data?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The installation is done by the windows installer service, not calibre. You can pass various flags to misexec to get more verbose output, but I will warn you that windows installer service is a baroque mess, so you likely wont find the log very helpful.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2020, 10:49 PM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The installation is done by the windows installer service, not calibre. You can pass various flags to misexec to get more verbose output, but I will warn you that windows installer service is a baroque mess, so you likely wont find the log very helpful.
That I can well believe. Any suggestions on how to determine what the issue is? I'd like to keep current, and this is the first time I've seen this failure.

I suppose I could simply uninstall and reinstall, as I believe existing data is preserved when you do that.
______
Dennis
Old 08-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...is-not-working
Old 08-12-2020, 11:13 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The PC is Win10 Pro running Windows built-in A/V. That has never been a problem.

I use Firefox as production browser, and tried MSIs from both Calibre's own download and the mirror sites.

I uninstalled Calibre and tried to do a clean install. Same problem - get part way though and roll back due to error.

I tried downloading through Chrome. Same problem. The MSIs all seem to be correct.

I just rebooted and tried to do a fresh install again. That worked and Calibre runs.

I'd still like to know what the previous problem was, but will settle.

Thanks!
______
Dennis
Advert
Old 08-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Dennis
There are some pretty big (regular) updates coming down for W10, You might have landed in the middle of the reboot needed (parts get installed, others were stalled because they were in use by you for something you were using and these were not the KNOWN OS pieces that need reboots)
I think I went thru 3 reboot notices on my Laptop in the last couple of days.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I'd also check to make sure that Calibre itself somehow wasn't stuck open in the background.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing I have noticed with Win10 is that it eventually need to be rebooted for the updates to take place after a while. So if you do have updates to do and can do them, do them ASAP.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:00 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing I have noticed with Win10 is that it eventually need to be rebooted for the updates to take place after a while. So if you do have updates to do and can do them, do them ASAP.
Some updates don't require reboots. Some do. I apply those ASAP in the spirit of remaining fully patched. I simply have Win10 set to tell me updates are available but let me choose when to install.

Win10 Pro here runs off an SSD, so full reboots are quick. It takes longer for major updates to apply than to reboot the machine once they have.

(In some cases when things are having issues, logging off and logging back on instead of a full reboot can clear things up. That was not the case here.
______
Dennis
Old 08-13-2020, 12:15 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Dennis
There are some pretty big (regular) updates coming down for W10, You might have landed in the middle of the reboot needed (parts get installed, others were stalled because they were in use by you for something you were using and these were not the KNOWN OS pieces that need reboots)
I think I went thru 3 reboot notices on my Laptop in the last couple of days.
I've gotten an assortment of updates recently. Some are security fixes. Others are more extensive and make visible changes and add features.

As a rule, I prefer to apply updates promptly, so when they arrive, if they require reboots, it's not a big deal to close open applications, apply the updates, and reboot. I boot off an SSD, and I generally don't have multiple applications open at once. For the most part, closing Firefox is all that is needed.

(I am also not one of the folks who tries to prevent Win10 updates because they can break things. It's possible I'm lucky, but I have a fairly vanilla system, and updates have never broken things here.)

I'd already done the last Win10 Update reboot required before I encountered the issue with Calibre failing to update. And Task Manager is my friend, and I'd already confirmed I didn't have a stuck Calibre process in the background somewhere.

At this point, I have a working current Calibre installation, so the problem gets tossed onto the "One of life's little unsolved mysteries" stack and I move on. It's simply the first time I've seen a Calibre Update fail, so it's a WTF? moment.
______
Dennis
Old 08-14-2020, 04:17 AM   #11
docjc
docjc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi there,

I have the same problem here:
- I had 4.21 running fine
- Windows Update KB4569745 and KB4566782 installed
- 4.21 still fine running
- Calibre 4.22 tried to install - rollback of the installation at about 3/4 of the installation
- reboot: same result
- deinstallation of 4.21 + reboot
- new installation of 4.22: same result: roll back no install
- shi......

what can I do??
docjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:11 AM   #12
docjc

addendum to my last mail

Even older versions of calibre 4.21 and 4.20 fail to install
Old 08-14-2020, 07:46 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@docjc: that indicates problems on your computer. Try running a registry cleaner, and/or installing in safe mode.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:55 AM   #14
docjc

no setup of Calibre possible

Hi there,

No chance to setup calibre on a system wich was updated by windows update on August 12th: KB4569745 and KB4566782.

As I have written in the thread by DMcCunney I had a runnung calibre 4.21^on this system with the above mentioned updates. I've got the new calibre version 4.22 and the problem started: no calibre update possible (rollback after about 3/4 of the installation process). Deinstall and new installation does not work. Installation on a system which never had calibre before does not work either. The msi log-file shows the following error:

MSI (s) (68:FC) [13:20:17:811]: Executing op: ShortcutCreate(Name=hjse7_l4|calibre 64bit - E-book management,,,FileName=C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe,,,,,,,Description=Manag e your e-book collection and download news,,,,)
CreateShortcuts: Shortcut: hjse7_l4|calibre 64bit - E-book management
MSI (s) (68:FC) [13:20:17:827]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=WixRollbackInternetShortcuts,,)
Action 13:20:17: WixRollbackInternetShortcuts.
MSI (s) (68:FC) [13:20:17:827]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=WixRollbackInternetSho rtcuts,ActionType=3329,Source=BinaryData,Target=Wi xRollbackInternetShortcuts,CustomActionData=C:\Pro gramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\calibre 64bit - E-book Management\User Manual.url€https://manual.calibre-ebook.com€1€€...\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\calibre 64bit - E-book Management\Get Involved.url€https://calibre-ebook.com/get-involved€1€€0)
MSI (s) (68:FC) [13:20:17:827]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=WixCreateInternetShortcuts,,)
Action 13:20:17: WixCreateInternetShortcuts.
MSI (s) (68:FC) [13:20:17:827]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=WixCreateInternetShort cuts,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=WixC reateInternetShortcuts,CustomActionData=C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\calibre 64bit - E-book Management\User Manual.url€https://manual.calibre-ebook.com€1€€...\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\calibre 64bit - E-book Management\Get Involved.url€https://calibre-ebook.com/get-involved€1€€0)
MSI (s) (68:00) [13:20:17:827]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI329C.tmp, Entrypoint: WixCreateInternetShortcuts
MSI (s) (68:6C) [13:20:17:827]: Generating random cookie.
MSI (s) (68:6C) [13:20:17:827]: Created Custom Action Server with PID 7428 (0x1D04).
MSI (s) (68:2C) [13:20:17:843]: Running as a service.
MSI (s) (68:2C) [13:20:17:843]: Hello, I'm your 32bit Elevated Non-remapped custom action server.
WixCreateInternetShortcuts: Creating IUniformResourceLocatorW shortcut 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\calibre 64bit - E-book Management\User Manual.url' target 'https://manual.calibre-ebook.com'
WixCreateInternetShortcuts: Creating IUniformResourceLocatorW shortcut 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\calibre 64bit - E-book Management\Get Involved.url' target 'https://calibre-ebook.com/get-involved'
WixCreateInternetShortcuts: Error 0x80004005: failed to save shortcut 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\calibre 64bit - E-book Management\Get Involved.url'
WixCreateInternetShortcuts: Error 0x80004005: failed to create Internet shortcut
CustomAction WixCreateInternetShortcuts returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 13:20:17: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

what can I do?

JC
Old 08-14-2020, 07:57 AM   #15
docjc

I don't believe so as this happens on 2 different computers (see my new thread)