Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Gena
Gena began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Error when downloading covers...

Just started getting this error today, on any cover I try to download.

calibre, version 0.7.48
ERROR: Cannot fetch cover: <b>Could not fetch cover.</b><br/>For the error message from each cover source, click Show details below.

amazon.com covers: expected string or buffer

openlibrary.org covers: HTTP Error 403: Forbidden

Gena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Gena
Gena began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Never Mind...

Okay, I got it working.

If anyone else has the same issue, this is what I did. Not really a fix maybe, but a workaround?

I went to Preferences, then in Advanced area I opened Plugins. Open Cover Download plugins. I disabled Amazon and openlibrary and enabled Douban.com and Nicebooks. So now it is downloading covers from those 2 instead. Not sure what happened to Amazon and openlibrary, but at least I can download covers again.
Gena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
rangerwinslow
rangerwinslow began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Openlibrary is doing site maintenance, so I presume that's what's happening there. Not sure what's going on with Amazon.

Thanks for the tip though, had forgotten about the ability to choose other sites for covers!
rangerwinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
thadine
thadine began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Thanks for the tip! I've been having the same problem and it's been really annoying.
thadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
If you look at the release notes for Calibre 0.7.49 you will see Kovid has made some changes which should address the issue. It sounds like OpenLibrary has been blocking Calibre and Kovid implemented some workarounds.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
Jczar
Jczar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Kobo
Thanks. 0.7.49 totally works.
Jczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #7
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Thanks for this information, I was having the same problem and am updating now.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
sparker
sparker began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jczar View Post
Thanks. 0.7.49 totally works.
Is it possible this change was regressed in 0.7.50? I'm seeing this again...

Steve
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparker View Post
Is it possible this change was regressed in 0.7.50? I'm seeing this again...
I would assume that is because the workarounds for openlibrary aren't working anymore due to changes on openlibrary's end.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There will be yet another workaround in the next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote