Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2020, 08:09 AM   #31
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
I had an issue with my Clara and battery draining overnight when I first bought it (I got it from John Lewis for £35 as a open box item).

I reset it and that cured it (just as well as the John Lewis staff were very unhelpful).

Not my favorite reader but it survives living in the bottom of my rucksack with minimal charging (so far anyway).
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:43 AM   #32
compurandom
Fanatic
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
It makes no difference whether you drain the battery to 50% and recharge it more frequently, or drain it to 5% and recharge it less frequently.
This is largely true for lead acid batteries, which is not what kobo uses.

This article directly contradicts you:

Battery University: How to prolong lithium based batteries

Quote:
Case in point, I have a 15-year old iPod Classic
You can't compare a 15 year old battery with a current battery. They don't have the same chemistry, and battery technology has changed drastically in 15 years.

Also, Apple did and does a lot of special things with the electronics around their batteries to try to keep them healthy.

Last edited by compurandom; 10-22-2020 at 09:25 AM.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The usual thought here is that something in the book leaves a process running and that drains the battery. That's where the suggestion for removing the bad books comes from. Remove and fix them and the problem goes away. And restarting the device will solve it until you open one of these bad books again.

The problem that I don't think anyone knows what in the book causes this.
Do you think converting from ePub > KePub and visa-versa might solve the problem with a bad book?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #34
compurandom
Fanatic
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you think converting from ePub > KePub and visa-versa might solve the problem with a bad book?
Converting epub->epub is more likely to fix it, as that rewrites a lot of the epub structures from scratch. However since we don't know what's causing it, there's no way to know if either conversion path would fix it.

If it turns out it's embedded javascript doing it, I don' t think either of these conversions removes it.

Do you have a book that you are sure is causing a drain?

It occurs to me that since we can do things like run shell scripts on the device, it should be possible to look and see if there is something chewing cpu and directly test this.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #35
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Converting ePub->KePub is actually ePub->ePub followed by adding the Kobo features

And no, if the problem is in the JavaScript a conversion won’t fix it. But if it’s the structure or CSS a conversion might fix it.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #36
compurandom
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Converting ePub->KePub is actually ePub->ePub followed by adding the Kobo features
Good to know! Thanks for the correction.

So I've cobbled together some scripts that work with NickelMenu to record high cpu use processes and even display a list on the device live.

Now all I need is a set of triggers that cause high cpu use. Would others be interested in that? Should I post them here or start a new thread or??
Old 10-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #37
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
I suspect the high CPU process will be the Adobe ePub renderer or the ACCESS KePub renderer. If that's the case (assuming the info is accessible to NickelMenu scripts) it might be better to note which book is in use and the book position at the time and only note the process if it's not one of those.

Also, how are you defining "high CPU"? False positives are better than false negatives here, but too many false positives and it could quickly get too hard to use that log to track down which books or segments of books are causing problems.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #38
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
This is largely true for lead acid batteries, which is not what kobo uses.
It's also true for nickel cadmium and lithium ion batteries, the latter of which Kobo does use (as do most modern electronics).

The bottom line here is, use your Kobo, love your Kobo, recharge it when it needs it, and don't worry about the battery being damaged through normal use.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #39
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
What does the output of "grep -Er . /sys/class/power_supply/*/uevent" look like after unplugging at 100%, 10 min into reading a book, and while idle at 50%?

Note that you'll want to run this while WiFi is off. This can be done by piping it into a file and/or syslog from a NickelMenu cmd_spawn/cmd_output. Something like "menu_item:main:Save power stats:cmd_output:grep -Er . /sys/class/power_supply/*/uevent | logger -st power 2>&1 | tee /mnt/onboard/power_`date +%s`.log" (and the same for menu_item:reader) would work.

It would probably also be a good idea to record the CPU usage too.

Last edited by geek1011; 10-22-2020 at 04:57 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:02 PM   #40
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
I suspect the high CPU process will be the Adobe ePub renderer or the ACCESS KePub renderer. If that's the case (assuming the info is accessible to NickelMenu scripts) it might be better to note which book is in use and the book position at the time and only note the process if it's not one of those.
That would be more something for NickelDBus (think NickelMenu, but for usage by scripts rather than the user). It's not currently supported, but since NDB keeps track of the current ReadingView for currentView, it wouldn't be hard to also make it return the book's URI.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
It's also true for nickel cadmium and lithium ion batteries, the latter of which Kobo does use (as do most modern electronics).
I think you are both wrong. @compurandom's claim that keeping the charge level above 50% is the best is wrong. The best is to keep it between about 30% and 70%. That will give the longest lifespan of the battery. You will probably get more total recharge cycles if you stay within this range. But, it means you are only using 40% of the available battery life.
Quote:
The bottom line here is, use your Kobo, love your Kobo, recharge it when it needs it, and don't worry about the battery being damaged through normal use.
Exactly. Anything you can do to extend the overall life of a Li-Ion battery is difficult and doesn't have enough effect to make it worthwhile. Or means you aren't actually using the battery
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:20 AM   #42
compurandom
Fanatic

Quote:
I suspect the high CPU process will be the Adobe ePub renderer or the ACCESS KePub renderer.
My initial tests confirm this, but the point is less to find out what is causing it as when it is triggered. At least, presuming it's not a run-away auxiliary process.

Quote:
Also, how are you defining "high CPU"?
... a very important question. For the purposes of this issue, it would be anything consuming cpu continuously (i.e., >50%) when the device should be idle. But unfortunately busybox ps doesn't seem to give a cpu%, so I'll settle for anything that has used >10 seconds or is changing continuously.

Eliminating things with cpu used of 0:00 gives a pretty short list, but I've experimentally been using this as a filter:

Code:
ps | awk '$3!~/^0:0/'

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
grep -Er . /sys/class/power_supply/*/uevent
Added that to my script.

Quote:
It would probably also be a good idea to record the CPU usage too.
You mean from ps like I did above? or did you have something else in /proc in mind?

(...record book and position...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
That would be more something for NickelDBus
Quote:
it wouldn't be hard to also make it return the book's URI.
That would be a welcome addition to the script.
I just looked at NickelDBus yesterday, lots of interesting stuff there.
I'm sure extracting current book and position might be useful for other things too.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #43
compurandom
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think you are both wrong. @compurandom's claim that keeping the charge level above 50% is the best is wrong. The best is to keep it between about 30% and 70%. That will give the longest lifespan of the battery.
I think you are totally right there. I pulled 50% out of the air.

Think of it more like, when you hit 50% you start thinking about plugging in, but by the time you actually get around to it, it might be closer to 30%.

As to only using 40% of the battery's charge capacity -- the idea here is not to religiously follow the 30-70% rule so much as do it when it's convenient rather than intentionally draining the battery flat when you could have plugged in easily. And also you have the full capacity when it isn't convenient.

And if you accidentally drain it flat once or twice a year, you've fulfilled the retrain schedule too. But to do it on purpose seems wasteful.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #44
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
FWIW, `POWER_SUPPLY_TIME_TO_EMPTY_NOW` is *extremely* variable on my end (Forma): it very much appears to be computed on-the-fly *right now*, with zero smoothing.

(As in, it can fluctuate by a factor of ~4, depending on the immediate power draw, and the thing is *very* finicky).

For people playing at home, it also requires a recent device anyway (Mk. 7 for sure, possibly Mk. 6).

Quick'n dirty script: bat_ttl.sh

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-24-2020 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Script moved to SVN
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote