Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #31
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm in the midst of re-reading the Brother Cadfael series. So far up to The Hermit of Eyton Forest.
A series set in the town my parents lived in.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #32
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
A series set in the town my parents lived in.
MR user demographics notwithstanding, A little before their time, I'm guessing?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:01 PM   #33
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
MR user demographics notwithstanding, A little before their time, I'm guessing?
Oh yes. Closest connection was my father volunteering in a Wildlife Trust located in the Abbey.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #34
Mel
Connoisseur
Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android tablet
I tend to not read more than two books by any author in a row. More than that and I start picking up on the author's lazy habits. It may be overused phrases or the fact that all their protagonists have green eyes or drive the same car. Once I notice I get annoyed and can never unsee it so I need a break to let the details fade a bit.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:57 PM   #35
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
I'm in the midst of re-reading the Brother Cadfael series. So far up to The Hermit of Eyton Forest.
Need to get back to those. Read through #3 and have all through #6 in my library. And just looked at the series on Amazon. 21? Almost as bad as the Marcus Didius Falco series sitting at 20.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Need to get back to those. Read through #3 and have all through #6 in my library. And just looked at the series on Amazon. 21? Almost as bad as the Marcus Didius Falco series sitting at 20.
And don't forget that one that is out of order. The short story collection, A Rare Benedictine was released around #13 in the series.

Compared to the 1632/Ring of Fire or In Death series, 21 books is just getting started.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #37
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Another series on my list to be read, I'll have to move it up the queue.

I have so many series and books I want to read, I'm not sure if I should thank you for the reminder or not.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:40 PM   #38
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
When you folks read a series, do you binge read the entire series (e.g. Jack Whyte's 9-book Camulod series), or do you break it up between volumes with a totally different book? I've done both in the past. As the post title indicates, I'm just curious.
I pretty much binge read if the series already exists. Sometimes I may leave for awhile and then pick it back up if I've grown tired of the material.

I have read 20 books in a series, one right after another before.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #39
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
When you folks read a series, do you binge read the entire series (e.g. Jack Whyte's 9-book Camulod series), or do you break it up between volumes with a totally different book? I've done both in the past. As the post title indicates, I'm just curious.
It depends. But mostly I read other things between, rather than going straight through from first to last.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:17 PM   #40
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Another series on my list to be read, I'll have to move it up the queue.

I have so many series and books I want to read, I'm not sure if I should thank you for the reminder or not.
One Caveat. When I started reading the Brother Cadfael books some years ago, I read the first book and thought this is good.

I then started binge reading the others as they were all in our local library. I quickly found that for me most of the Cadfael books were very samey, with the same character types, plot devices etc.

It is said about some authors that they have had XX books published but have written the same book XX times. It felt like that for me with the Cadfael books.

I only picked this up because I binge read them. If/when I reread them I will leave a good time gap between titles so this is not evident
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:42 PM   #41
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Thanks for the heads up about that series. Now I'm even more curious about it and might start it after my current series, which is Cormoran Strike (and I'm sorry I took so long to get to this series, I'm enjoying it).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #42
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
It depends on the series or type of books. Usually with mysteries I don't and draw them out. If it's something like a romance series or paranormal that I'm really into it, I'll read it all at once.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:04 AM   #43
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
binge - that's why I love ebooks.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:50 PM   #44
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Mostly binge. It can depend on how much action/adventure/thriller they are.

If they're hard hitting and action packed, I'll take a break after three or so. Most have the action with a slow time between for the characters to rest, but if I binge on them I can feel burned out.

OTOH, some cozy mysteries are nice and relaxed. So relaxed that after three or so I feel the need to pause for something a bit more exciting.

I have the Eve Dallas series, and at one point had read up to 10. I'll need to restart when I dive back in, but I don't think I'll binge the whole thing. But I did start the Barbara Hambly's "Benjamin January" series and HAD to read all 18 books and five short stories in a row, because I was just too caught up with the character and the setting to move on.

So it really just depends.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote