Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-12-2020, 06:47 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroScribe View Post
Yes, is there any potential problem with it?
Possibly. Try your color on an eInk screen. It may not work well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #17
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
I was a little worried about that myself but moreso for night modes, which for various apps seems to be implemented in fairly arbitrary ways.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:47 PM   #18
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
On e-ink screens black and white for text and bars/rules are really the only safe colors to use. And even then you don't want to use "black" and "white" or their hex equivalents but instead use "color: inherit;" for the text color so that it will work in night mode as pointed out by phillipgessert. E.g., in my boilerplate CSS I have

a.text-color {
color: inherit;
}

so that it's black (in day mode), not the usual blue, which comes out as gray on e-ink. There is also the builtin color currentColor.

See also https://friendsofepub.github.io/eBookTricks/
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:07 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Possibly. I had one ebook where the chapter header text and graphic colours contrasted nicely on a iPad but on my Kobo ereader, the two colours rendered as pretty much the same shade of gray which made the text close to unreadable.

Best to test before hand.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:38 AM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
On e-ink screens black and white for text and bars/rules are really the only safe colors to use. And even then you don't want to use "black" and "white" or their hex equivalents but instead use "color: inherit;" for the text color so that it will work in night mode as pointed out by phillipgessert. E.g., in my boilerplate CSS I have

a.text-color {
color: inherit;
}

so that it's black (in day mode), not the usual blue, which comes out as gray on e-ink. There is also the builtin color currentColor.

See also https://friendsofepub.github.io/eBookTricks/
I know that this is the ePUB forum, but the last time I tested color:inherit on MOBI, it didn't work worth a damn. Looked fine in Previewer, not worth two s**ts on real devices.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I know that this is the ePUB forum, but the last time I tested color:inherit on MOBI, it didn't work worth a damn. Looked fine in Previewer, not worth two s**ts on real devices.

Hitch
Why would you need color:inherit when the default works perfectly well?
Old 10-13-2020, 08:54 AM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For the same reasons as above, Jon--night and day modes, if you have a colored TOC.

Hitch
Old 10-13-2020, 09:03 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
For the same reasons as above, Jon--night and day modes, if you have a colored TOC.

Hitch
So you'll have colored text on a black background and the contrast will be awful. So why have the colored text? It's going to be awful with eInk.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
So you'll have colored text on a black background and the contrast will be awful. So why have the colored text? It's going to be awful with eInk.
Jon:

Girl has clients. Girl's clients pay for stuff. No matter or despite Girl's best warnings, client write'um check, client gettum what client wants. All Girl can do is try to protect client from themselves and their wants. ;-)

Hitch
Old 10-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #25
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Girl is my fav Stark!!!!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:16 PM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Girl is my fav Stark!!!!
MWAHAHAHAAH. Not to mention, one of the few above the dirt. (n.b., don't anybody say anything, I never did finish watching it and I refuse to read books in a series for which the creator might...well, you know.)

Hitch
Old 10-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #27
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Hitch
MOBI? You and those antediluvian devices.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Girl is my fav Stark!!!!
I knew the new Iron Man is supposed to be female.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #29
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
MOBI? You and those antediluvian devices.
Yup, that's me, peddling my way through life with my antediluvian shekels.

Quote:
I knew the new Iron Man is supposed to be female.
I AM Iron Man!

(I refrained from the ubiquitous Sabbath clip... now you can all have that stuck in your heads all day...)

Hitch
Old 10-13-2020, 03:04 PM   #30
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
I'm trying to recreate a test example but not having any success. There was a thread where someone was asking how to make the links in the TOC not be gray because apparently the e-reader's CSS was using blue for them, which is obviously a weird thing to do with e-ink. And I definitely remember seeing blue on my computer's screen when looking at a TOC with either Sigil's previewer or Calibre's book viewer. But now with those the TOC entries are black. They're also black on my Forma. Maybe I'm misremembering and the CSS in their book was specifying blue.

Equally puzzling to me is that the CSS I'm using from the Blitz site, with that a.text-color, it doesn't do anything. I tried changing the font-weight to bold and nothing happens. It works when I change it from a.text-color to a. And searching the web doesn't turn up anything for text-color.