Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #106
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I did just think of one that fits this welcoming requirement quite well:

Welcome to the New Leaf Book Club

If deemed necessary the opening post could go into more detail about what this thread is used for.
In truth, this is my favorite suggestion so far. I like "Welcome" as encouraging the new and/or curious to check out the thread.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #107
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Well, it kept us entertained for a couple of days anyway!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #108
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Well, it kept us entertained for a couple of days anyway!
Oh, I have no objection to changing it if people can agree on something! It would be nice if it included "Welcome"; that's all.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #109
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Leave the title alone then, and just add something to the OP about general discussions.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #110
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
New Leaf Book Club * Welcome to the Conversation
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #111
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
In the spirit of this being a general conversation thread for the NLBC, and better here than derail the theme-suggestion thread again, I'm pleased to say that I've finally worked out a few possibilities for when It's All Relative comes up for nominations.

But one of my possibilities does raise a concern: Mission by Patrick Tilley. It is a science-fiction tale that involves on the story of Christ (and also involves the nature of time, as per the theme).

Given the open nature of this forum, would it be better to avoid books with such strongly religious aspect? I have no wish to offend participants (but if people were not going to be offended this is an excellent book).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #112
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
In the spirit of this being a general conversation thread for the NLBC, and better here than derail the theme-suggestion thread again, I'm pleased to say that I've finally worked out a few possibilities for when It's All Relative comes up for nominations.

But one of my possibilities does raise a concern: Mission by Patrick Tilley. It is a science-fiction tale that involves on the story of Christ (and also involves the nature of time, as per the theme).

Given the open nature of this forum, would it be better to avoid books with such strongly religious aspect? I have no wish to offend participants (but if people were not going to be offended this is an excellent book).
Feel free. There's no reason people can't discuss a religious-themed book in the context of the book itself, history and society. I've no doubt everyone here can keep such a discussion impersonal.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think a strongly religious book will get into the realm of the P&R forum. Also, I feel that two things that cannot really be talked about without an argument of others getting pissed is politics and religion. I would so no tho that book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #114
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:

I'm with issybird on this -- you're more than welcome to nominate it, and if it is selected, we'll discuss the book without going into P&R territory. And certainly, anyone who doesn't find themselves able to keep the discussion 'clean' will simply not participate. But I think we're all adults here (or at least imitate them on the Internet ) so I think such a nomination is fine.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #115
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or, given the theme of the month, at least relatively clean.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #116
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I glanced at the Amazon reviews, which seemed positive, and then at the Audible reviews, which were less so, and indicated content that seems rather offensive.

I am not suggesting that the book not be nominated, but I think there may be legitimate concerns.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #117
CRussel
(he/him/his)

So, a comment on our theme for March, The Book Came First. This theme has had me diving into all sorts of books I either hadn't read at all, or hadn't read in years and years. What fun, and I've discovered all sorts of excellent books as a direct result.

One of the books I discovered was E. R. Braithwaite's To Sir With Love, on which the movie was based. And, for a change, the movie followed the book rather closely, with Sidney Poitier being a perfect fit for the Braithwaite character. I enjoyed the book enough to give it 5 stars on Goodreads, and it's got me wanting to read more by Braithwaite. Next up will be his Paid Servant, about his time after teaching when he worked as a social worker. A fascinating person. Worth a read!

ETA: It's also worth noting that Braithwaite was a diplomat to South Africa during Apartheid. His book about some of those experiences is titled: Honorary White. Title says it all, I suspect, but I'll be reading it when I finish Paid Servant.

Last edited by CRussel; 02-20-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #118
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I glanced at the Amazon reviews, which seemed positive, and then at the Audible reviews, which were less so, and indicated content that seems rather offensive.

I am not suggesting that the book not be nominated, but I think there may be legitimate concerns.
Sometimes we need to be offended. I would never suggest not nominating (or voting for) a book simply because it might have some offensive content. But it is worth making note of. And I suspect it would have an impact on whether a book actually gets selected. That being said, I've found myself reading several books each of these last two months based on the nominations above and beyond the selected book. I'm hoping others are having the same experience.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:47 PM   #119
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
New Leaf Book Club * Welcome to the Conversation
I like this one! Though I'm OK with us leaving the title alone, but adding a paragraph into the first post. IAC, as folks can see, I'm going to keep talking about what I'm reading when I think it's of general interest, and I really encourage others to join in. Let's talk about books! And not just the ones we actually select for everyone to read. For me, this new theme approach has done such a good job of driving discovery I want to extend that here. In both directions. I hope my posts will lead to others discovering an interest in the books I'm finding, but I also hope to find even more from what you're reading. So join in!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #120
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Sometimes we need to be offended. I would never suggest not nominating (or voting for) a book simply because it might have some offensive content. But it is worth making note of. And I suspect it would have an impact on whether a book actually gets selected. That being said, I've found myself reading several books each of these last two months based on the nominations above and beyond the selected book. I'm hoping others are having the same experience.
True enough. I'm all for "offensive" when it means challenging set beliefs or expanding one's understanding. Since I haven't read this book, I don't know if that's what it does.

What I most wanted to point out, though, is the disconnect between the two sets of reviews, Amazon and Audible. When I skimmed Amazon, I thought, well, maybe I could make myself read this (remember I am not an SF reader); when I looked at Audible, my reaction was no way, even though I am not an organized-religion person.

That's my two cents. SF is already problematic for me, and adding an anti-religious bias (my impression) makes it a nonstarter. As I said, though, I don't have any desire to block a nomination; I may want to nominate something offensive and controversial myself at some point.