Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #61
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I can easily imagine that graphing when a book too place could quickly get out of hand: so many occur over a long period, or over multiples periods - think Robert Goddard.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:28 AM   #62
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I can easily imagine that graphing when a book too place could quickly get out of hand: so many occur over a long period, or over multiples periods - think Robert Goddard.
Good point. Or pretty much any time travel novel.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #63
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
One more graph...this one is not specific to the MRBC though.

The averages below are through January for the Literary and MRBC but do not include February other than a single placeholder comment. The Literary club discussions tend to last longer than the MRBC discussions did so there may still be a few coming for previous discussions but it looks like they are pretty much wrapped up.

Average comments/discussion:
MRBC: 29.7
Literary: 31.9
Overall: 30.5

This includes an "annex" discussion of The Lost Symbol from 2009 since it had the MRBC tag on it but doesn't include a 63 post side discussion for The Count of Monte Christo that happened in 2008. It wasn't an official selection (yet) but was in the BC sub-forum. If that is included the MRBC average goes up by 0.5/discussion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chart.png
Views:	403
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	162302  
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #64
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
OK, I'm going to make a suggestion here. We've got a good discussion for our first official book in the New Leaf Book Club, and I'm pleased by that, but I'd also like to have a place where we can just sort of "hang out" and talk about books or whatever. And actually quite a bit of whatever, I hope.

Now, we could start a new thread for "General Discussion" or even call it Chat. But it seems to me that a "Welcome" thread is really just as good a place to do it and we avoid having proliferating threads. But perhaps our fearless leader could 'adjust' the title of this thread to something like Welcome and General Discussion for the New Leaf Book Club? What do people think? A new thread, or morph this one?
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #65
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Definitely not a new thread; too much clutter and I wouldn't want to add to the stickies. But I'd be happy to change the title of the thread to reflect it as a place to go for a natter. I think I'd like to work on a new title a bit though; something shorter and punchier would be my preference.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #66
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, that title didn't exactly grab one, did it? <rueful grin>

Suggestions, anyone? I'm all out of them I admit!
Old 02-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #67
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
NLBC Welcome and Discussion?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Make NLBC a tag and that will leave that bit out of the title. Then the title can just be Welcome & Arguments (Discussions).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:11 PM   #69
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Apart from the very attractive opening photograph and post by issybird, this thread has been a general chat thread almost from the beginning. So we may not really need the word Welcome there now - though obviously we want to be welcoming to anyone new dropping in to check us out. I feel we need to keep the Club name in full, at least for now.

So maybe something like ... New Leaf Book Club Drop In Centre ...?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #70
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Perhaps then all that's really needed is to tweak the opening post to add something about discussion.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #71
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Make NLBC a tag and that will leave that bit out of the title. Then the title can just be Welcome & Arguments (Discussions).
Not an option we control, nor are there those around lately who do. It's the goal, but not likely soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Apart from the very attractive opening photograph and post by issybird, this thread has been a general chat thread almost from the beginning. So we may not really need the word Welcome there now - though obviously we want to be welcoming to anyone new dropping in to check us out. I feel we need to keep the Club name in full, at least for now.

So maybe something like ... New Leaf Book Club Drop In Centre ...?
Drop In Centre - I like it. (Especially the correct spelling!)
Old 02-16-2018, 05:37 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Drop In Centre - I like it. (Especially the correct spelling!)
Drop in Center - correct spelling and in English.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:45 PM   #73
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
It is in English - Australia and Canada use English spelling, not American. However, I can live with the American spelling given that many members, though certainly not all, are from the US.

Or we can find another word, but I thought that one gave the idea of a place where you pour yourself a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and have a chat.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #74
CRussel
(he/him/his)

You know Americans think their version of English is correct, even though there is absolutely no historical or other justification for that. Personally, I'd prefer centre, but I'll leave any such decisions to our (American) moderator.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You know Americans think their version of English is correct, even though there is absolutely no historical or other justification for that. Personally, I'd prefer centre, but I'll leave any such decisions to our (American) moderator.
Technically there is no correct version of English. When the colonies were established, the people there spoke the same English as the UK. So both the UK and the US started off with the same English. Now both the UK and the US speak a different English. So really, neither is the correct English but both are English.