Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Another Author Signs Kindle Exclusive - David Morrell

I know these aren't especially popular around here but it does look like another author self-publishing onto Kindle. Publisher is listed as "Morrell Enterprises"

Quote:
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

Amazon.com (NASDAQ: AMZN) today announced that internationally bestselling author David Morrell is releasing a new, never-before-published, full-length thriller, “The Naked Edge,” along with nine of his previously published books, in electronic book format exclusively in the Kindle Store. This is the first time any of these titles have been available electronically. These Kindle editions will offer additional content for many of the books, including new introductions and photographs that reveal insights into the making of these modern classics. All 10 of these Morrell books are available starting today for download exclusively from the Kindle Store (www.amazon.com/kindlestore).

“Publishing these 10 books in the Kindle Store is a great opportunity to explore how electronic publishing enables me to give my readers additional, unique content,” said Morrell. “Available at $9.99 or less, I hope that my fans will be able to rediscover their favorite titles, and that new readers will have the chance to enjoy my books on their Kindles. I'm especially excited about publishing my new thriller, ‘The Naked Edge' in digital format, exclusively for Kindle.”
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I'm sure we will see a few more of these.

I don't think it's a great idea for the author, unless Amazon is giving 'em a ridiculously sweet deal. Amazon is big, but they are not the only retailer out there. That said, I don't see why it would really get anyone's dander up either.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
hmm

Why aren't they popular? Control of author content is going to be the most critical component of the future of e-reading. Or do you mean Amazon press releases aren't popular?

Morrell's always been progressive. He did a split-profit deal with a publisher instead o straight advance. He also is a musician--I got to play in a band with him at the first Thrillerfest.

By 2011, none of these types of announcements will be news unless it is Rowling/Meyer level.

Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
mopping five
Enthusiast
mopping five doesn't littermopping five doesn't litter

Device: nook
That quote at the end sounds like Amazon's PR department wrote it and asked him if he'd let them put quotes around it.
mopping five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Scott -

I think there is a line of thought that while these exclusivity deals might be good for the author (if he's getting mega-commissions) and good for Amazon, they are not terribly beneficial to eBook buyers as a whole.

Especially in this case eBook buyers who don't own a Kindle/Kindle Reader. Due to DRM and the legal issues of shifting the format, it makes the product unavailable to them. ie ... nook/iPad/Sony people are locked out of the availability unless they want to get shifty.
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Especially in this case eBook buyers who don't own a Kindle/Kindle Reader. Due to DRM and the legal issues of shifting the format, it makes the product unavailable to them. ie ... nook/iPad/Sony people are locked out of the availability unless they want to get shifty.
While I am all for the author/publisher/distributer 's right to sell something they own in any way they want to, I might be obsessive enough about a certain book to get a bit shifty myself. Damn shifty in fact if I had already bought the book being unaware of the format, although I prefer the word proactive
Especially if I ran out of books to read and the library was closed.

If you legitimately acquire the book you have, IMO, an implied right to read it even if you know it is mobi to start with.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
“Available at $9.99 or less, I hope that my fans will be able to rediscover their favorite titles,
European users pay $13.99
That is not a $2 surcharge but a $4 addition.

I actually do like Amazon and the service they have provided me over the years, but I have to admit that ePub looks gradually more appealing.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I dont see his ebooks available at Amazon UK.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
@Scott -

I think there is a line of thought that while these exclusivity deals might be good for the author (if he's getting mega-commissions) and good for Amazon, they are not terribly beneficial to eBook buyers as a whole.

I agree completely. I don't like the fact that Amazon locks everyone else out from buying their books - I will download free books from Amazon, but I refuse to give them any money for ebooks even though I can remove the DRM and reformat.

I looked at his books on Amazon, and it looks like at least they are mobi and not topaz.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
European users pay $13.99
That is not a $2 surcharge but a $4 addition.

I actually do like Amazon and the service they have provided me over the years, but I have to admit that ePub looks gradually more appealing.
Just double checking ... are you looking for Kindle books with the search term "Morrell Enterprises"? These are $3.99 to $9.99 and most are $6.39 (The Protector, Blood Oath, The Totem, etc). These are the prices in Canada at least.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:17 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I looked at the Naked Edge tome only.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:22 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Why aren't they popular?
Because some don't own a kindle ?
Well, here comes an other book i'm forced to boycott.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #13
LynnO
LynnO is on a distinguished road

Device: nook, color nook, droid 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I know these aren't especially popular around here but it does look like another author self-publishing onto Kindle. Publisher is listed as "Morrell Enterprises"
Modern classics? I've never even heard of him. LOL. Anyhow, as a nook owner, I don't like to see anyone sign exclusives with amazon, but I have the kindle reader software on my computer. I figure when I get my next phone, I'll be able to read both nook and kindle books. Although, at this point, I'm only using the kindle reader to get free books!
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
abookreader
Wizard

@ Lynn -

You've heard of Rambo, right?

He wrote the book that was the inspiration for the movie.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:10 AM   #15
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I think it's a fairly risky move to lock oneself into a single format, even if it -is- Amazon. As e-readers proliferate the Kindle's command on sales numbers is going to weaken until eventually they (Kindle-only publishers) are going to be crying about the lack of access to a huge market share.

Of course, to be fair, I noticed that Amazon is releasing the reader for a lot of platforms, however it's still going to leave them locked out of competing native e-readers.

I for one will continue to keep producing ebooks in about 3 formats for now (epub, mobi and PDF).
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote