Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Looking for recommendation

I've had an ebook for almost 10 years now, first a Rocket eBook then the eBookwise 1150 which I still use, I had a PRS-700 briefly, and now I currently own a Nook. Overall I like the Nook but it has a couple of issues that keep me from loving it and have me still looking for the 'perfect' ebook.

The bulk of what I read is stories downloaded from the Net which means most of them are RTF or HTML files. I do read books purchased from eBookwise/Fictionwise and Barnes & Noble but, if necessary, I'll use the Nook to read them. I do use Calibre so I can convert the RTF and HTML files to EPub but I'd rather not have to go that extra step.

Here are my Must Haves:
1. Upgradeable Memory - 4gb is my absolute minimum
2. Must be able to organize files/stories/books into folders/categories/collections - this is my biggest issue with the Nook, and the one thing I liked about the PRS-700.
3. Side-button page turns - this was my biggest issue with the PRS-700, well aside from the fact that it died after a month. The PRS-700 with the buttons on the bottom and the hard square edges was actually painful for me to hold after 15-20 minutes. Nook has the side buttons but they're reversed - the back button is on top and the forward is on the bottom. This annoys me but is livable.
4. Must read at least 3 of the following formats: RTF, HTML, EPub, and PDF. LIT would be great too but not a necessity. This is my 2nd big issue with the Nook - having to convert about 2,000 RTF/HTML files to EPub is a pain, especially since the RTF files don't like to convert properly so they have to be converted to HTML first then to EPub.
5. Long Battery Life - this is subjective, I know, but I get about 4 days to a week out of the 1150 and the Nook depending on how much reading I do.

Things I'd like but aren't deal-breakers:
-6" Screen - this was going to be a must-have but then I realized the 1150 is only a 5" and it doesn't bother me.
-Touchscreen - I'd really like this but if it comes down to it I can do without
-More than 3 font sizes and in a sans serif font like Arial or Verdana would be nice
-Backlight/integrated light - pretty much a pipe dream with current e-ink technology and the side-lights in the PRS-700 were horribly uneven but I can dream.

That's about it. Thanks.

Beth
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
check out the PocketBook 360, couple of forums up form the bookwise 1150 forum.

Im in sort of the same postition as you, currently using a 1150 and considering upgrading.

The 360 looks like a wonderfull little device and is very very tempting.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Thanks. I'm debating now between the 360 and the 302. Based on video reviews that seem to show a lack of sensitivity in the Touchscreen along with the glare I'm leaning more and more towards the 360.
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote