Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
Does Size Matter?

I've been reading on several of the threads discussing what people want in the Kindle III that larger screen size is high on the list. But it has me thinking: Is bigger always better?

I get the larger screen for students and for those wanting to read tech information or graphic novels. In cases where you're reading a lot of .pdfs or times when exact pagination is essential. Perhaps for those with vision problems who benefit from larger font so they can have more on a single page.

But for most of us, is bigger necessarily better? One of the complaints about the K2 is that its footprint is larger (though the screen size didn't increase). For people reading for pleasure, and traveling on the go, doesn't a larger size offset some of the advantages of ebooks, namely convenience and portability?

For me, I'd like a slightly larger screen in the same footprint. I need it to remain portable and about the size of a hardback cover. Larger than that and it's no longer able to fit in my cabin bag for the airplane or be as comfortable to read in bed. I definitely think there's a market for Amazon to have a larger version, but my vote is firmly in the camp of maintaining a smaller version as well for those in the same reading demographic as I find myself.

What about you? Does size matter? If so, how?

Last edited by BurBunny; 02-13-2009 at 07:24 PM.
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurBunny View Post
But for most of us, is bigger necessarily better? One of the complaints about the K2 is that its footprint is larger (though the screen size didn't increase). For people reading for pleasure, and traveling on the go, doesn't a larger size offset some of the advantages of ebooks, namely convenience and portability?
I'm sure if you ask most of these people they want a bigger device not for recreational reading but to read technical books that might have source code or charts or diagrams in them.. or documents that are basically distributed as 8.5x11 formatted size.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm sure if you ask most of these people they want a bigger device not for recreational reading but to read technical books that might have source code or charts or diagrams in them.. or documents that are basically distributed as 8.5x11 formatted size.

BOb
Bingo. What I was going to say.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
If I had to limit myself to just one reader, I'd choose something small like my Kindle. I would like a larger one in addition for work.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I have no problem with the screen's current size.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I would LOVE an 8.5x11 screen. that'd be awesome i have so many things formatted for that size .
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
I'm perfectly happy with the current screen size. With six choices of font size, it is perfect for my reading.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Since I really use it for recreational reading only, I prefer smaller, paperback book sizes for the screen. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had different reading requirements.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Ultimately, I want two devices. A small one for novel type books and an 8.5x11 device for everything else.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
That plastic something thing thats supposed to come out in 2010? might fit the bill when it comes to large stuff like tech or graphic novels.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #11
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
The Plastic Logic device might still be too small. The outside diameter is about the size of 8.5x11 page, but it only has a diagonal screen measurement of 10.7 inches. This makes its page size only about 6.5x8.5, which is just 60% of the size of an 8.5x11 page.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
The Plastic Logic device might still be too small. The outside diameter is about the size of 8.5x11 page, but it only has a diagonal screen measurement of 10.7 inches. This makes its page size only about 6.5x8.5, which is just 60% of the size of an 8.5x11 page.
Most 8.5x11 documents/magazines have margins... so the frame of the PL reader would be the margin. And, many tech books are not 8.5x11 they are smaller than that, I'm gonna guess 9x7 or so (guessing here). That also has a margin.

So, I think the PL device is plenty big for most purposes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:37 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Most people are finding the iRex DR1000's 10.2" diagonal screen big enough in portrait mode after croping the margins of letter/A4 PDFs. The alternative is to switch to landscape mode and display half a page at a time at full size. The Plastic Logic 10.7" screen will be a bit better and the PVI 9.7" screen (in several devices this summer) a bit worse. If Amazon produces a big screen device it will probably use the 9.7" screen, like the Netronix EB-900. See the E-book Reader Matrix for the DR1000S and the EB-900.

There are supposed to be 5" and 8" screens from PVI too, see EInk: High Resolution Displays. There will probably be a device from Jinke (Hanlin) using the 5" screen, but I have not heard of any new devices with an 8" screen. If this used a touch screen it could be the same size as the current Kindle 2 but with an on-screen keyboard. Based on the iLiad, an on-screen keyboard is much easier to use on an 8" screen than a smaller screen. If the screen were robust enough this might make a good form factor. Perhaps I just described the Kindle 3, with (as reported by various sources last year) the 9.7" device as a separate "professional" model for students and others who need PDF support. I would make it touch screen too, but Amazon really likes actual keyboards.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
brn_eyed_girl81
Connoisseur
brn_eyed_girl81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm happy with the size of my Kindle now. If they could make the screen slightly larger without increasing the size of the device, that's fine, but for my recreational reading I really want something about this size. I can understand having a bigger model for the student model - it would still be smaller than a lot of textbooks I'm sure (if only it had been out when I was in college/med school - my back would be much happier right now).

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want a touch screen, though. I hate any slight smudge on my screen, and I'm sure that the finger marks would make me absolutely nuts. I understand that's not an issue for everyone, but for me it would prevent the device from "disappearing" as intended.
brn_eyed_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #15
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I too am perfectly satisfied with the overall size of my Kindle. If they can increase the screen size without increasing the overall size that would be a bonus, but I have no problems with reading on it as is. Again, I am also that recreational reader, not reading scientific, graphic or textbook material, so can't speak to that problem.

cheers

Last edited by Leep; 02-14-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: typo
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote