Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
ndtvideas123
ndtvideas123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Book Designer

I have downloaded eBook from fictionwise in pdb format (eReader format)....Then converted to html using ereader2html...Now, I want to download that to my PRS-505 device...
I have downloaded BD 4 (I tried a lot, but am unable to find BD5..It would be great if you could provide me a link or some hint as to how I can Google it)

Also, I am unable to understand the steps to convert to lrf (Sony reader format)...So, an easy guide on doing that would be great?

Can that be done using Designer 4 version also OR is BD5 preferred?

Thank you so much.
ndtvideas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
CaptainIncognito
CaptainIncognito began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Sounds mighty complicated!

I've just used Calibre instead and haven't yet found a file type it hasn't converted in one step which is just dandy as I'm reasonably technically savvy but I'm no computing graduate!

Only complaint is it can be pretty processing power hungry sometimes.
CaptainIncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
With Book Designer you download and install v4.0, then overwrite with 5.0.

Here's some advice (and links) from our wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_Designer

And a long but useful thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786

Basically, get the file into Book Designer. Set chapter headings as titles. Perhaps make a TOC. (THis can be done automatically, using the 'Insert' menu.) Then click on make Sony Reader file.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And HarryT's excellent tutorial on Book Designer is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313
Old 09-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
ndtvideas123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIncognito View Post
Sounds mighty complicated!

I've just used Calibre instead and haven't yet found a file type it hasn't converted in one step which is just dandy as I'm reasonably technically savvy but I'm no computing graduate!

Only complaint is it can be pretty processing power hungry sometimes.

ok..I just downloaded Calibre...What are the steps to convert html (with png images in that folder) to PRS 505 compatible format?
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndtvideas123 View Post
ok..I just downloaded Calibre...What are the steps to convert html (with png images in that folder) to PRS 505 compatible format?
I believe you have to zip all the files together.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader

You may be better off asking this question in the Calibre corner of the forum, ndtvideas123.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
ndtvideas123

ok..Calibre is actually hanging and I am unable to proceed...I have all the ebook files in one folder...
Old 09-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
ndtvideas123

I am not sure how to update BD 4 to BD5...The interface has no menu bars...only icons...
Old 09-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
ok..Calibre is actually hanging and I am unable to proceed...I have all the ebook files in one folder...

You have to have the files in a zip format. (e.g. MyBook.zip )

Where is Calibre hanging? During the conversion process, loading, importing?

To convert import the compressed zip file to Calibe. It's the first Icon button to the left on the tool bar.
Select the book you want to convert in the details pane below.
Convert the book, it's the second to the last Icon on the tool bar.

That is it. To view select the last icon on the tool bar.

Sometimes calibre hangs during the conversion. I usually stop the conversion process and restart it. This helps 90% of the time.

To stop click on the hour glass icon at the bottom of the app.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Back to the original topic. The instructions for installing BookDesigner are here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786. Remember that it only works in Windows and if you are running it in Windows Vista there are additional requirements in the thread that need to be implemented. If all you see are a group of icons and no menu then there is a problem with the installation.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Back to the original topic. The instructions for installing BookDesigner are here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786. Remember that it only works in Windows and if you are running it in Windows Vista there are additional requirements in the thread that need to be implemented. If all you see are a group of icons and no menu then there is a problem with the installation.
Do not forget the Book Cleaner files. These are very important to download ans set up. Book Cleaner is part of Book Designer. Without Book Cleaner set properly, you'll possibly have errors in your eBooks.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #13
ndtvideas123

ok..Here is my problem again...
I am running XP

I am not sure which s/w to use for conversion, as I am facing problems with both;

1. With BD4, I am not seeing any button to upgrade to BD5 or any button which says to convert to Sony format. It seems to be a very complex screen with only icons.

2. With Calibre, it hangs as soon as i open it from Program files.

So, I am a bit confused. Going through similar posts previously has not helpmed much...I need more simpler instructions...BD or Calibre whichever that is

Thank you.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ndtvideas123 read the following threads and follow the directions.... for the Book Designer you'll need to download two attachments.

Book Designer
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786

Book Cleaner
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #15
Patricia
Reader

Quote:
1. With BD4, I am not seeing any button to upgrade to BD5 or any button which says to convert to Sony format. It seems to be a very complex screen with only icons.
Thank you.
Ah. You don't use buttons to update from BD 4 to BD5.

The process is described in the wiki. I quote:

"Two steps are required to install BookDesigner:

Download and install the base release of BookDesigner 4.
Download the latest BD full release update -- it contains all of the files that have been updated since the base release (i.e. there's no need to run earlier updates). Unzip this file to its own directory, then copy the full content of this directory (and its subdirectories) to the BD directory located in "Program Files", ensuring that the new content overwrites the original files. "

1. So go to the first link posted by JS Wolf. Download the files.
2. Install BD4.
3. Then unzip BD5 onto a folder on your desktop.
4. Open the BD4 files (which will be hidden in my computer/c drive/ program files/book designer.
5. Copy all the BD5 files into the BD4 folder. The new version will overwrite the old.
6. Job done.

Note: The folder in your program files will still be called 'BD4.' Don't worry.
If you open the BD shortcut icon that will appear on your desktop, then click on 'help' and 'main help' it will tell you whether you have BD4 or BD4.

Under 'make ebooks' you have the option of making a sony reader book. It is also a good idea to make a book designer book. (This will save itself in my computer/c drive/program files/ Book Designer/bd.) Then, if you ever want to make any corrections, or to make the book in another format, you can open the book designer book.

I hope that this helps.