Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
missflow
missflow began at the beginning.

Device: ipod - kindle app
Transfer problem??

I use calibre to convert epub files to mobi. Then use "send to Kindle" function, to send mobi files to my ipod Touch and I mostly read my books in my kindle app.

It has been working fine, until around Aug/Sept 2015, when the mobi files will appear as .azw after transferring.

Initially thinking it may be a Window 10 problem, I used my other laptop which is running Window 7 to send the files. I also tried older version of calibre but the mobi files still ended up as .azw.

I tried to convert the files to .azw3 but then "send to Kindle" did not recognise .azw3 files.

I am able to open the .azw document in Kindle but Kindle does not recognise any changes I made (such as changes to author's name) just prior to the transfer (in the Send to Kindle app). I also find that seeing the extra .azw in the title rather annoying.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks.
missflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
How are you sending? USB or email?

AZW3 might need to be enabled (older Calibre installs defaulted off. New K's are now common) as a valid format for your USB device.
With the device connected, Use the Configure device on the device icon arrow. IMHO Tick and move AZW3 up above Mobi
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2016, 04:44 AM   #3
missflow

I use the kindle app and the "send to kindle" application. So I send the files using Wifi. No need to plug in or use USB.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:09 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Amazon's PDOC service (which is what the Send-to-Kindle app is) does not support AZW3.

.azw is exactly the same thing as .mobi (only the filename is different, Amazon likes the .azw version ever since they took over Mobipocket).

The issue with the file not recognizing changes is probably due to the fact that you copied the file from calibre's internal storage. calibre does not modify files except on export.

Honestly, I think you will be far better off in general using calibre's send-to-email feature, but certainly, calibre will make sure to update the emailed copies.
See item #4 here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui.html#connect-share
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #5
missflow

I tried calibre send to email function but the book received by the kindle app still has the .azw extension.

I can retrieve the books from "share content server" but the covers are missing (in the library list) as the document is no longer personal document. I checked out the setting/preference in the mobi output, but there is no “Enable sharing of book content” option. In fact, many of the covers are not showing.

Same thing happened for Kobo app - if I retrieve the books from "share content server", then the covers won't show up in the library.

How do I get around it?
Advert