Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-02-2016, 10:12 PM   #1
expatchapter
expatchapter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Aura HD
Calibre will not connect to Kobo in Windows 10

Hi folks...
I've read the sticky from David and gone through each of the steps with no solution found yet. I never had a problem in Window7 but now in Windows10 my Kobo devices are not seen in Calibre. I can see them in Windows explorer under letter F and USBdeview shows the device as connected and a removable device in capabilities. Log from Calibre below:

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Mike

calibre 2.48 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Manage Series && Quality Check && Reading List && Count Pages
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\vid_04f9&pid_0042&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_058f&pid_6362&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c518&rev_4203&mi_01',
u'usb\\vid_0463&pid_ffff&rev_0001',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_0990&rev_0007',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_0990&rev_0007&mi_00',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid10de&pid036c&rev00a1',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c317&rev_0070&mi_01',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c317&rev_0070&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c518&rev_4203',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid10de&pid036d&rev00a2',
u'usb\\vid_2237&pid_4163&rev_0326',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c317&rev_0070',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_0990&rev_0007&mi_02',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c518&rev_4203&mi_00']
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\scanner.py", line 85, in __call__
DriveError: No removable drives found
Drives detected:

No disabled plugins
Looking for devices of type: MTP_DEVICE
List of WPD PNP ids:
[u'\\\\?\\swd#wpdbusenum#{fe1dcf40-b1bd-11e5-8d86-00044b0516c9}#0000000000000000#{6ac27878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}']
No suitable MTP devices found

Looking for devices of type: SMART_DEVICE_APP
All IP addresses {'{8A746FB4-C670-48E7-8148-C129A92AAFBD}': [{'addr': '169.254.30.197'}], '{C3C3CCF0-BB25-46AB-A5F5-6807348BD822}': [{'broadcast': '192.168.1.255', 'addr': '192.168.1.4', 'netmask': '255.255.255.0'}], '{BCD1BD3A-A5BC-11E5-A940-806E6F6E6963}': [{'broadcast': '127.255.255.255', 'addr': '127.0.0.1', 'netmask': '255.0.0.0'}]}
No device is connected

Looking for devices...
u'usb\\vid_2237&pid_4163&rev_0326'

Devices possibly connected: None
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	345
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	145208  
expatchapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That would be the curse of the Windows 10 upgrade.

Some people are finding that Windows isn't reporting their ereader as a removable drive -- at least, Windows Explorer may know but it isn't telling other programs.

No solution has been suggested except a complete reinstall of Windows -- only people who upgraded in-place have reported the problem.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's a long shot but I'd love to see info from your computer.

Could you download and install USBDeview. Then plug your Kobo in and run the program.

Select ALL the devices (Ctrl-A) and then do a "Save Selected Items" (Ctrl-S) which will prompt you for a file name. Supply a name, and then after it's been saved, upload the txt file to the forums here.

I'm hoping to see some "extra" settings which might help us figure out what has happened.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:14 AM   #4
expatchapter

USBDeview file attached

Thanks for the response guys....attached is the txt file you requested. I'm also considering doing a fresh install of Windows 10 on one of our laptops and checking another laptop to see if it works.
Cheers...
Mike
Old 01-03-2016, 01:22 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatchapter View Post
Thanks for the response guys....attached is the txt file you requested. I'm also considering doing a fresh install of Windows 10 on one of our laptops and checking another laptop to see if it works.
Cheers...
Mike
Mike - I'm seeing no text file attachment

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #6
expatchapter

2nd attempt

Let's try this again....I pushed it to a pdf file so the forum would take it.
Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf forumrequest.pdf (53.7 KB, 362 views)
Old 01-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'm not sure what PeterT was looking for, but nothing jumped out at me. What I would try is to use USBDeview to delete the "eReader‐3.19.5613" and "Mass*Storage*Device" devices. But, make sure you don't have the Kobo or any USB memory sticks or drives connected. Then reboot the computer. If you're lucky, it will now work.

If it doesn't work, what does Windows have in the properties for the drive? For this, right click on the device in explorer and select properties. Then go to the "Hardware" tab, select the device and then press the "Properties" button. If there is a "Policies" tab, have a look at it. If there isn't a policy tab, go to the "Volumes" tab and press "Populate". The properties dialog should close and reopen with a "Policies" tab.

On the "Policies" tab, what is selected in "Removal Policy" and in "Write-caching policy". It might also be interesting to see what drivers are involved. This is on the "Drivers" tab and then press "Driver details".

I have no idea if any of this information will help. But, I was just poking around on my Win10 laptop with my Glo HD connected, and these are the things I can see that might be involved. As eshwartz said, Win10 is not mounting some devices as removable drives. This means that calibre doesn't see them as potential drives for it to use. This seems to be something in the upgrade of some machines to Win10. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any ideas for what went wrong.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:32 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had hoped that details like the properties might have been shown. When I get home I'll take a look and see if anything jumps out.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

The only thing that leaped out was no drive letter being assigned.

Searching in Google for "windows 10 not assigning drive letter to usb" brought me to a similar issue on Windows 7

Windows 7 Does not assign a Drive Letter

A common solution from that thread was
Quote:
open command prompt
type in diskpart
automount enable
If you just type automount by itself, it will show the current status of the automount setting.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:38 AM   #10
expatchapter

Hey guys...I'm a little slow in responding but still not much joy.

I did the deletion in USBDeview and then a shut down and power up. No dice.

I tried the automount trick using diskpart which is active. There was a mention that a drive letter is not being assigned but it does seem to be assigning the letter (i.

The properties shows that the device was set up for quick removal. I've changed this to best performance but it has not helped.

I've attached the drivers shown associated with the drive in the image below.

I've found that I can still use the device in Calibre by clicking the connect/share and connecting to folder so this is a nice band aid but still not finding a root cause / fix.

Kind regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	304
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	145571  
Old 01-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

WOW... What a change in drivers from Windows 7! All I see loaded in Windows 10 are WpdFs.dll and WUDFRd.sys!

(Note; I think some of these changes came in Windows 8 so probably not that significant).

Last edited by PeterT; 01-16-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:21 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, for comparison, I have attached a screenshot of the drivers for my Glo HD connected.

Looking at the drivers, the last two are something to do with an Acronis product. And "edevmon.sys" is part of ESET Smart Security. Disabling both temporarily or getting them to ignore the device, might help. But, I don't think they are the problem.

I have "hpdskflt.sys" which is from HP for my laptop. That won't be affecting this.

Everything else seems to match what I have here.

How about starting Windows in safe mode? That should eliminate all unnecessary drivers but the USB drivers should still be available.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DriversForKobo.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	145604  
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:52 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Kovid may have found a fix, can you try the beta builds here: https://download.calibre-ebook.com/betas/
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote