Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 10-28-2004, 05:54 PM   #1
Roofrat
Roofrat began at the beginning.

Device: Garmin iQue 3600
Avantgo and Isilo to Plucker

I'm a relatively new Plucker user and just found this forum, which led me to Sunrise, which I have downloaded and installed, but haven't played with yet. Previously, I have used the Plucker Desktop for conversion. I'm hoping Sunrise will offer some improvements over that.

I have been using Avantgo for off-line channel viewing and Isilo for just about everything else. My goal now is to hopefully consolidate everything into Plucker. So my question is - does anyone know of any conversion tools or simple methods (I'm not a programmer) to convert from either of these programs to Plucker? One Avantgo channel in particular would be Yahoo. Any input would be appreciated.
Roofrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
maceyr
Palm Discoverer
maceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650 & Zire 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofrat
I'm a relatively new Plucker user and just found this forum, which led me to Sunrise, which I have downloaded and installed, but haven't played with yet. Previously, I have used the Plucker Desktop for conversion. I'm hoping Sunrise will offer some improvements over that.

I have been using Avantgo for off-line channel viewing and Isilo for just about everything else. My goal now is to hopefully consolidate everything into Plucker. So my question is - does anyone know of any conversion tools or simple methods (I'm not a programmer) to convert from either of these programs to Plucker? One Avantgo channel in particular would be Yahoo. Any input would be appreciated.
Some sites or channels on Avantgo can't be accessed outside of the Avantgo program. Even if you know the url to the Avantgo page, it will be denied access. Yahoo is one of them. If you have already set up a My Yahoo account, just use Sunrise to pluck the password protected site. If your My Yahoo page is way too big, you can always create a special smaller page of the features you want on it in your My Yahoo. Just add a new page and add the features you want to have plucked. Then, use the url to that page to be plucked. I have done this on my My Yahoo page since my main page has way too much stuff and so, when I pluck the My Yahoo page, I pluck the special page. In my case it's 'http://my.yahoo.com/p/2.html'

I personally have not used iSilo and don't know of any conversion program to convert them to Plucker. Maybe someone can provide an answer to that.

I find that Sunrise is probably the best plucker type program out there and I have stopped using Avantgo and Plucker Desktop and just now use Sunrise exclusively for all website page retrievals.

If you're interested in learning how to use Sunrise, check out my posting on a mini step through of it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2529

Last edited by maceyr; 10-28-2004 at 06:35 PM.
maceyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2004, 06:38 PM   #3
Roofrat

Thanks for your input, maceyr. I think that's a geat idea about the My Yahoo site. I'll try that.

I've been playing with Sunrise. But when I try to download a particular web site, all it gives is the front page with dead links. In the Properties dialogue, I specified up to 4 link depth with no restrictions, but each time, it gives me the first page only. I have no filters set, nor any changes to defaults on the Advanced tab. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've converted the same site using IsiloX with no problem.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:47 AM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Perhaps you could tell us which site (URL?) you're trying to convert, or post the SDL that is not working for you.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 12:08 PM   #5
Roofrat

Here's the url:

http://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Curriculum/music.htm/hymns.htm?f=templates$fn=document-frame.htm$3.0$q=$x=$nc=8877
Advert
Old 10-29-2004, 03:20 PM   #6
Traecer Prime
Connoisseur
Traecer Prime began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Yahoo! has apparently redone it's mobile portal site; some info is here:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7234

I just used Palm Web Pro on my Tungsten T3 to view the site, and I don't see why you couldn't use iSiloX/Sunrise/etc. to scoop the site. And apparently it has some My Yahoo! functionality available, though the feature is still technically listed as beta-quality.
Traecer Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 08:30 PM   #7
Roofrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by maceyr
If you have already set up a My Yahoo account, just use Sunrise to pluck the password protected site. I have done this on my My Yahoo page since my main page has way too much stuff and so, when I pluck the My Yahoo page, I pluck the special page. In my case it's 'http://my.yahoo.com/p/2.html'
maceyr - I tried your suggestion to have Sunrise pluck my My Yahoo site, but I can't get it to work. I'm hoping you can help. I set up the Form Login for the site. Do I need to reference that somewhere in the channel properties? All I get with the converted product is the generic login page.

I've attached the SDL file containing the Yahoo channel and the Form Login. I'm hoping someone can take a look at it and point me in the right direction.

Thanks ... Mike
Attached Files
File Type: zip My Sites.zip (1,016 Bytes, 464 views)
Old 11-01-2004, 11:50 PM   #8
maceyr
Palm Discoverer
maceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650 & Zire 71
Seems to work fine. I've tried converting the site and it comes up with my main Yahoo page stuff so it works fine. Just make sure that you have logged into the My Yahoo site properly and have the cookies on your hard drive.

Check my posting on pointing Sunrise to the cookies.txt file to make sure My Yahoo looks at those cookies.

If you still have problems, maybe try using the "Send To Sunrise" extension. Just make sure you are on the logged in My Yahoo page and then have it Send to Sunrise. Originally, before the Forms Login feature was there, I was able to use this to pluck some password protected sites that I can't pluck with the cookies. Again, that info is also in the other posting.

Last edited by maceyr; 11-02-2004 at 12:31 PM.
maceyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:07 AM   #9
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofrat
http://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Curriculum/music.htm/hymns.htm?f=templat...
I just did some work a few weeks ago to help Nathan Bullock with his lds-get script to fetch it all of the Latter Day Saints writings into one .pdb and then create some snazzy hires screenshots for it. You can see the lds-get news article on the Plucker website with all of the details and screenshots. I'm not a religious person, but the article is one of the most popular to date, so a lot of people must be using it.

Check it out, you might like the results.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote