Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #91
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawhite View Post
This will be a very cool project !
How do you plan to control the display on each Kindle? VNC via usb or wireless network?
Even with the 27 good ones (plus 3 with cosmetic defects in the screen surface, but with good eink beneath), and another 30 usable ones in the next batch, and the two I already had, I would still be short two K3 units. And I have to swap parts between them just to get 30 working units in the first batch.

And then, people here who held off bidding against me want some of them, decreasing my eink array even more. Perhaps I could do 7x7 or 7x7, but that just looks ugly in hexadecimal.

For those who wanted one of the K3s from my first batch of 40, we can discuss my costs in a PM (or you can calculate them from the ebay price plus shipping). I have not paid for the second batch of 40 yet, and they have not shipped. The vendor told me to wait until I tested the first batch. I still have K4 and K5 demos to test too...

I now have 12 K3s with broken screens. I may try to "remote control" them with a VNC server. There is an X11 VNC server we can download in a Dev Corner thread from seaniko7. I want a native mode VNC server though.

EDIT: Instead of VNC, I may just use synergy, but I would need the new mouse cursor support that was just added to the K5 by twobob. The goals are to make as much stuff as possible work on as many kindle eink models as possible. Twobob has been very busy. Give him some karma! (Of course, I like karma too!).

And by the way, we now have working USB OTG on the K4, so some USB devices can be used when plugged into the kindle. We still need a keyboard and mouse driver though. Other kindle models will be supported soon.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-03-2012 at 11:17 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #92
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
(shakes head) I think yer all just a little crazy, but I enjoyed reading the thread. Congrats on the auctions that worked out, and condolences on the ones you lost.

Re sniping assists, I always used to sit there with a PST clock in one corner of my screen and my bid poised waiting for the last click, but the stress got a little high, and my hand would cramp. :-D From there, I used bidnip. I don't know if they have different rates for BIG ticket auctions, but for normal stuff, I'm pretty sure it's still... wow. I guess inflation strikes everywhere. They're currently selling a 10 snipe package for $6.99 US. Pretty sure the last time I bought some they were $0.25 a piece. (shrugs)
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #93
seawhite
E Ink Lover
seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle DX white, Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard, K4NT
More kindle DXG demo units on ebay now, in case anyone is interested
I ordered one, it will arrive next week, hopefully in good shape

I got the package. It is shipped with original box, but no other protection. This one came intact, and the DXG is in excellent shape. Perfect screen, almost no scratch on body (I caused several ones while removing the sticky stuff). I will spend sometime over the holidays to flash it

Too bad they are now bidding it all the way to $150+ for a demo unit. Otherwise I will want to get more.

2nd Update:
Now the price is around $50!

Last edited by seawhite; 11-29-2012 at 11:25 PM.
seawhite is offline   Reply With Quote