Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-25-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
adc89
adc89 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Recommend me a reader

Well I've spent the last 6 hours agonizing over which one to buy and I've just about had it. Please recommend one for me. Here are some details:

- I live in Canada
- I am a Mac user but I have access to windows and linux via Parallels
- I have a large collection of pdf books, many are formatted for letter sized paper, fiction and non-fiction for recreational purposes, many are uncommon and/or out of print
- I would like a built in dictionary with a lookup function
- Money is not an issue but, obviously I would like to spend as little as possible

Last edited by adc89; 11-25-2007 at 06:39 PM.
adc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that you have a large PDF collection (as long as it's not DRM laden) the iLiad would be your best bet because the iLiad has a larger screen and a higher resolution.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
adc89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that you have a large PDF collection (as long as it's not DRM laden) the iLiad would be your best bet because the iLiad has a larger screen and a higher resolution.
That's what I'm leaning towards but I'm having trouble justifying the price.

Anyone have much experience reading on the iPhone/iPod touch. It would be nice to have everything on one, pocket sized, device. I know it's a backlit LCD but I'm thinking the density might make it legible.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc89 View Post
That's what I'm leaning towards but I'm having trouble justifying the price.

Anyone have much experience reading on the iPhone/iPod touch. It would be nice to have everything on one, pocket sized, device. I know it's a backlit LCD but I'm thinking the density might make it legible.
A legible 8.5" x 11" PDF on a 3.5" screen?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
adc89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
A legible 8.5" x 11" PDF on a 3.5" screen?

Dale
With a little scrolling...
Advert
Old 11-25-2007, 10:10 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc89 View Post
With a little scrolling...
You mean a lot of scrolling I presume. Or a lot of zooming in and out. Neither is much fun while reading a book.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you get a 505, you can use pdflrf to clean up the PDF so it's a lot more readable. It works very well. But as far as native PDF reading goes, the iLiad is the best so far. pdflrf makes the 505 the second best.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:02 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can equally well use PDFLRF on other platforms, so let's not get tied down to the Sony too quickly.

You should also consider the Bookeen CyBook, since it has excellent dictionary lookup facilities - something which the Sony lacks, and you mention as being important to you.

Jon will doubtless chime in here and start his usual moan about how the CyBook is useless for displaying pictures. He's exagerating - most pictures are perfectly acceptable .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:51 AM   #9
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Jon will doubtless chime in here and start his usual moan about how the CyBook is useless for displaying pictures. He's exagerating - most pictures are perfectly acceptable .
You mean pictures in Mobipocket books. As far as I know the Cybook has a better algorithm for resizing and dithering pictures per se (don't remember who made that observation, Hadrien maybe?).
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:09 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You should also consider the Bookeen CyBook, since it has excellent dictionary lookup facilities ....
But isn't the dictionary lookup only functional in Mobi books? I didn't think it would be available in PDF files, especially if they've been through the pdflrf slice-n-dice ....

'Course that that restriction is going to be universal to e-readers.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
But isn't the dictionary lookup only functional in Mobi books? I didn't think it would be available in PDF files, especially if they've been through the pdflrf slice-n-dice ....

'Course that that restriction is going to be universal to e-readers.
It is available in anything except pdf files and images. Lookup works for text files and for html files also.

Last edited by tompe; 11-27-2007 at 06:20 AM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:45 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for clarifying that; I only ever read Mobi books and have a bad habit of forgetting that the Gen3 supports other formats too .
Old 11-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yes, thank you -- one of the things I like about MobileRead is I'm always learning new stuff!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Regardless of what we think of the Gen3 and the 505, the iLiad is the best one for PDF at present.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Regardless of what we think of the Gen3 and the 505, the iLiad is the best one for PDF at present.
I entirely agree. If reading A4/Letter PDFs is your main priority, there's no doubt that the iLiad is the clear winner.

For reading fiction, however, the Sony or Gen3 are, I think, better. Which one you go for depends on your priorities. I will admit that the Sony does display pictures better, but on the other hand the Gen3 has a wonderful dictionary lookup facility which the Sony lacks.