Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
huari
Enthusiast
huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle me, Sony Reader missus
EVDO usage limits?

Hi,

According to the terms of service, the wireless EVDO usage is limited and can be revoked at will.

I was thinking that Kindle would be a great light browsing device in addition to Wikipedia and built-in dictionary, but sadly it appears Experimental.

Anyone care to test the limits of the service?

Probably can't read off manybooks.net, but do short google queries, weather, etc. Another thing I found was a manual hint that the browser is based on Access (formerly PalmSource) NetFront 3.3 browser which supposedly supports PDFs.

Please share your experiences,
thanks
huari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by huari View Post
Hi,

According to the terms of service, the wireless EVDO usage is limited and can be revoked at will.

I was thinking that Kindle would be a great light browsing device in addition to Wikipedia and built-in dictionary, but sadly it appears Experimental.

Anyone care to test the limits of the service?

Probably can't read off manybooks.net, but do short google queries, weather, etc. Another thing I found was a manual hint that the browser is based on Access (formerly PalmSource) NetFront 3.3 browser which supposedly supports PDFs.

Please share your experiences,
thanks
Of course one thing to try, without trying to cause Amazon to revoke their free EVDO, would be to use the browser on local files.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Of course one thing to try, without trying to cause Amazon to revoke their free EVDO, would be to use the browser on local files.

Dale
That is one thing I have not read about anyone actually trying. It's a good idea (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
broadband restriction clauses are typical, even for paid services. Verizon Wireless EVDO "unlimited" will turn you off if you exceed something like 5GB in a month.

I suspect its more of an attempt to have legal recourse for chopping you off if you are hacking or abusing the network.
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:52 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How well does the borwser actually work? I know that people who've used the iLiad for web browsing using its WiFi connection have said that eInk and web browsers aren't exactly a match made in heaven. The slow screen refresh really kills you with a lot of web sites.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
The video reviews I saw of it basically said the same. I don't think this thing is really geared towards mobile web browsing. I think the idea of the wireless really is just to get content. It'll do in a pinch for browsing something quickly but I don't think this is intended as any sort of Web appliance.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote