Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #136
jleliekelly
i'm getting there.
jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-600, MOTOROLA PHOTON & Toshiba Thrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
I like him too!
Lol
jleliekelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #137
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Hey CWN...any new John and Teddy stories?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #138
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Hey CWN...any new John and Teddy stories?
Not really. Things are pretty quiet right now.

But hey - some good news - the second season of Rookie Blue starts in 40 minutes!! Yay! I've been waiting MONTHS for this.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #139
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
But hey - some good news - the second season of Rookie Blue starts in 40 minutes!! Yay! I've been waiting MONTHS for this.
Guess I don't get out enough....had to google it! However, I am waiting for the next season of Eureka to start .... not sure if that helps or hurts my 'hip' status?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #140
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Guess I don't get out enough....had to google it! However, I am waiting for the next season of Eureka to start .... not sure if that helps or hurts my 'hip' status?
I love Eureka!! Alas, I no longer have cable (haven't for over a year) but I pre-ordered season 5 on DVD. Comes out next month, I believe. That way I can pick up about where I left off watching it.

Turns out last night's ep of Rookie Blue was a re-run - new episodes start next week.
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #141
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
I love Eureka!! Alas, I no longer have cable (haven't for over a year) but I pre-ordered season 5 on DVD. Comes out next month, I believe. That way I can pick up about where I left off watching it.

Turns out last night's ep of Rookie Blue was a re-run - new episodes start next week.
Has Castle made your list?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #142
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

I really like Castle, but had trouble fitting it in to my regular TV schedule. It ends up on the summer "catch the reruns" list. Same story with Lie to Me. I have a TV tuner on my Win7 desktop, so technically I could DVR them with Windows Media Center (the Win7 version is sooo much better that previous versions, IMO) but that doesn't solve the problem of only having so many hours in a day.

It's kind of the same problem with books - so many stories to experience, but not enough time.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #143
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
I really like Castle, but had trouble fitting it in to my regular TV schedule. It ends up on the summer "catch the reruns" list. Same story with Lie to Me. I have a TV tuner on my Win7 desktop, so technically I could DVR them with Windows Media Center (the Win7 version is sooo much better that previous versions, IMO) but that doesn't solve the problem of only having so many hours in a day.

It's kind of the same problem with books - so many stories to experience, but not enough time.
Love Castle!

Really like Lie to Me, as well, but unfortunately it (and Human Target which I watched as well) has been canceled.

Edit: Can't wait for Eureka to come back. We were late to the show as a whole and caught up last year, I think, via Netflix. I'm not so crazy about the new time-line, but I do enjoy the show.

Last edited by Nyssa; 06-17-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #144
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Love Castle!

Really like Lie to Me, as well, but unfortunately it (and Human Target which I watched as well) has been canceled.

Edit: Can't wait for Eureka to come back. We were late to the show as a whole and caught up last year, I think, via Netflix. I'm not so crazy about the new time-line, but I do enjoy the show.
I hate to say this, and I hope it doesn't make me sound like a snob, but intelligent and emotionally complicated shows tend to not last unless there are enough boobs and gore to balance it out.

For a while there was a similar problem with police shows - everyone wanted gory lab procedurals, courtroom contests or oversexed dramas rather than good old fashioned "cops doing cop stuff" shows. I held my breath for the longest time worrying that Rookie Blue was going to get canceled, so I was very happy when they announced a second season was ordered.

Many people thought Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior was boring. I loved the emotionally complicated characters. It got axed, it won't be back next year.

Don't get me wrong, I love gore too, but I don't need it. It's just that network TV is competing for the attention of as many people as possible, so anything not exciting enough doesn't make the cut through to season 2. Cable has the advantage in that many cable channels are already catering to niche markets, and they don't need the huge numbers to be successful. They can also afford to take more chances.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #145
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

[QUOTE=CWatkinsNash;1613656]For a while there was a similar problem with police shows - everyone wanted gory lab procedurals, courtroom contests or oversexed dramas rather than good old fashioned "cops doing cop stuff" shows.QUOTE]

I'm guessing you were a Hills Street Blues fan! For me, I think the dialog is the most important...I love good writing, but it has to have a smattering of intelligent humor or I tend to find it depressing. Law & Order is a perfect example, I liked the depth of characters but eventually found the story lines so depressing that I lost interest in the show...
Old 06-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #146
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
I'm guessing you were a Hills Street Blues fan! For me, I think the dialog is the most important...I love good writing, but it has to have a smattering of intelligent humor or I tend to find it depressing. Law & Order is a perfect example, I liked the depth of characters but eventually found the story lines so depressing that I lost interest in the show...
I don't really remember much about Hills Street Blues. My TV preferences hadn't yet developed at that point. But I do watch Adam-12 every weekday at 4pm on our local Retro TV affiliate. While obviously dated and old-fashioned by today's standards, THAT is a genuine "cops doing cop stuff" show.

I agree about the dialog and intelligent humor, which is why I preferred Law & Order: CI over SVU. (Plus the Benson/Stabler "dramatic tension" got really old after a few years. They should have named the show "Law & Order: Detectives With Issues".) And CI also had more "happy endings" than SVU. But I don't watch any L&O anymore. I'm still a Vincent D'Onofrio fan, even if he is a bit of a spoiled brat in person. (At least that was my impression being around him for several hours.)The new L&O looks good (and I like Molina), but I've only caught one episode.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #147
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I hate to say this, and I hope it doesn't make me sound like a snob, but intelligent and emotionally complicated shows tend to not last unless there are enough boobs and gore to balance it out.
I don't think you sound like a snob at all, I think you are absolutely right. Even though I am a SVU, fan!
Old 06-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #148
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I don't think you sound like a snob at all, I think you are absolutely right. Even though I am a SVU, fan!
LOL I used to watch SVU until I got hooked on CI. But these days I'm a CBS watcher - all but about two prime time shows I regularly watch are on CBS. Of course, now that it's summer, I'll be skipping around the other channels for Rookie Blue and stuff I missed during the regular season.

I'm just glad I have Retro TV to watch during the day - there's nothing else on in the afternoons except soaps and Jerry Springer. I'm much happier watching Kojak, Rockford Files, Adam-12 and Dragnet.

(I love that the "I Appreciate You Guys Club" (IAYGC) is turning into the "what are we talking about today?" thread. It's nice to have a place to post random discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else but doesn't require it's own thread. I like our little clubhouse.)
Old 06-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #149
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
LOL I used to watch SVU until I got hooked on CI. But these days I'm a CBS watcher - all but about two prime time shows I regularly watch are on CBS. Of course, now that it's summer, I'll be skipping around the other channels for Rookie Blue and stuff I missed during the regular season.

I'm just glad I have Retro TV to watch during the day - there's nothing else on in the afternoons except soaps and Jerry Springer. I'm much happier watching Kojak, Rockford Files, Adam-12 and Dragnet.
My dad would LOVE you! I remember watching Kojak and Rockford files with him.
As for the rest of TV. I'm spoiled rotten by DirecTV and our DVR. I record and watch way more TV than any one should. I think i watch a little bit of everything.

Quote:
(I love that the "I Appreciate You Guys Club" (IAYGC) is turning into the "what are we talking about today?" thread. It's nice to have a place to post random discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else but doesn't require it's own thread. I like our little clubhouse.)
Again, I agree with you !00%. This is a great threat and a great group on a great site!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #150
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

I'm thinking about changing my sig. What do you think about this:

My 2011 Reading Challenge progress! Proud Member of the IAYGC - Our Clubhouse
calibre + Kindle Collections + Reading Lists = one happy Kindler!
Everytime you call a PDF an ebook, a puppy dies of Parvo. Poor puppies. Don't you like puppies?

It's got everything covered - enthusiasm for reading, solidarity with my friends, support for awesome software, and puppies!

Please vote/discuss.