Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 04:51 AM   #346
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I downloaded Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in a dramatised reading from Librivox Plus from my audiobooks app.. It is really quite well done and enjoyable. I would recommend it.

The "Plus" books are read by the best Librivox readers and very well presented. It's very inexpensive to get as an individual Plus title but for only €4.99 one can download all of the Plus selections one cares to have--and there are quite a few of them.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #347
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
fantasyfan, I'll have to get that Alice. I don't normally care for dramatized but I've been wanting to give Alice a read or listen and I have gotten a few good ones from Librivox. I listened to good readings of The Day Boy and The Night Girl, The Light Princess, Wind in the Willows, and Anne of Green Gables from LV.

I had a hard time finding this thread again for some reason (I found the reason. I'm an idiot and was looking at the regular rather than the pinned threads for it). Anyway, I have listened to a couple of enjoyable audiobooks recently.

One of these was Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Deadly Virus by Bill Wasik and Monica Murphy. I actually like non-fiction, if it is interesting like this one, better than fiction in audio format. Huzzah for the People's Scientist Louis Pasteur!

I also listened to Jepp, Defied the Stars by Katherine Marsh. This was a fine historical fiction. Not challenging, compared to my recent reads Cloud Atlas and The Twelve, but not brainless by any means. I quite enjoyed it. It had a richly detailed setting and well-fleshed-out characters. The reader did a very good job as well.

I got On the Beach by Nevil Shute with an Audible credit. I wanted to get the story of this granddaddy of post-apocalyptic literature. I enjoyed it. That is how I would hope people would act in that situation, basically keeping calm and living life until the end. Of course, I'm pretty sure it would be rioting and cracking open neighbor's skulls to feast on the goo inside if this actually happened (at least here in the U.S.).

Right now I'm listening to Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. I love it (so far)! I was lucky enough to get it (and the above-mentioned audios) on Overdrive from my public library. I love the old man who speaks to cats. I would have gotten this one in a text format if I had paid for it so I could go back and linger over different passages and see how you spell some of these Japanese names.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 11-16-2012 at 10:16 AM.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #348
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I downloaded Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in a dramatised reading from Librivox Plus from my audiobooks app.. It is really quite well done and enjoyable. I would recommend it.

The "Plus" books are read by the best Librivox readers and very well presented. It's very inexpensive to get as an individual Plus title but for only €4.99 one can download all of the Plus selections one cares to have--and there are quite a few of them.
What is LibriVox Plus? I don't see anything at the LibriVox site or in a Google search.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #349
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
What is LibriVox Plus? I don't see anything at the LibriVox site or in a Google search.
If you go to the iTunes store and put in Audiobooks Premium as a search term you will be directed to that app--it has one for the iPad and another formatted for the iPhone or IPod touch. I have both and purchases sync--in that if you buy the Plus unlimited for the iPad it works for the iPod as well. In fact, I suspect that the iPhone version might well work fine with the iPad though the screen display wouldn't be as easy to navigate.

Audiobooks Premium has the Plus feature which allow you to download these enhanced books. In fact the top in-app purchase {€4.99} is the Plus unlimited option. You can, of course also use the app to get the standard free Librivox audiobooks as well as sites which offer professional readings {for a price}.

So this is how I obtained them myself. And the Plus books really do sound very nice. The Alice book is as good as any professional reading. --and much cheaper.

Unfortunately, I don't know how one would get these books without getting the App. I don't see why the Plus books shouldn't work with any audio book software such as Overdrive. Perhaps if you send a message to the Librivox site they could help you out.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 11-16-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #350
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
I looked all over also.

fantasyfan
Librivox is always free, so maybe this is just a price you pay to be able to use an app to access and play their free books?

Is that same Alice in Wonderland (and reader) available on the Librivox site?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #351
fantasyfan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I looked all over also.

fantasyfan
Librivox is always free, so maybe this is just a price you pay to be able to use an app to access and play their free books?

Is that same Alice in Wonderland (and reader) available on the Librivox site?
I don't think the dramatised version is the same. the Plus uses a different reader for each of the various parts with a central reader for the narrator. Here's what is said on the app's FAQ:

"What are plus and pro books?
In addition to the great free content provided by the Librivox Project, we also sell Plus and Pro books. These options are great way to improve the overall quality and enjoyment of your listening experience!

PLUS books are hand-selected, trimmed titles. We choose only the best Librivox narrators, and package the audio content for a streamlined and high-quality listening experience.

PRO books are professionally narrated and recorded titles. These are often new-release or current bestselling books. Send us an email if you have a request for a title that we don’t offer!"

So, perhaps the Plus versions are done specifically for the app? Again, maybe asking Librivox would clarify the situation--possibly they've done a deal with the app people--but that's only a guess.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #352
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, fantasyfan.

I don't do iStuff. Or apps!

But it sounds from your description that the app people just chose from the general collection at LibriVox the books they think are best.

Is this the version of Alice you got?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #353
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thanks from me too fantasyfan.

Although I have an iPhone, I prefer to not buy through iTunes.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:49 AM   #354
fantasyfan
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks, fantasyfan.

I don't do iStuff. Or apps!

But it sounds from your description that the app people just chose from the general collection at LibriVox the books they think are best.

Is this the version of Alice you got?
You found it!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #355
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
You found it!
Aha. Thanks, fantasyfan. So that apparently confirms my opinion that your app just chooses audio books from the general collection at LibriVox, rather than LibriVox having a special separate section.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #356
fantasyfan
Wizard

Quote:
Aha. Thanks, fantasyfan. So that apparently confirms my opinion that your app just chooses audio books from the general collection at LibriVox, rather than LibriVox having a special separate section.
Thanks for going to the trouble of locating Alice. It means that anybody can get that file free without bothering with an App and IMHO that dramatised version is excellent.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 11-17-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #357
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Right now I'm listening to Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. I love it (so far)! I was lucky enough to get it (and the above-mentioned audios) on Overdrive from my public library. I love the old man who speaks to cats. I would have gotten this one in a text format if I had paid for it so I could go back and linger over different passages and see how you spell some of these Japanese names.
I also listened to this one recently, albeit in a German edition. The book is wonderful, I heartily second your recommendation. I had the advantage of having read it in English a couple of years ago when it won the World Fantasy Award. I really enjoyed both versions in both languages.

This week, I finished listening to the Lit2go version of Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery, which was very well done too.

I have now two books going (one on my computer and one on my iPod in my bedroom): The Red Tree by Caitlin R. Kiernan and The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll. I read the latter one a year ago and loved it. When I saw that it was one of the whispersync titles at Audible and I could get it for less than 6 dollars, I bought it. I am enjoying both books a lot, both have exceptionally good readers.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #358
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Started listening to The Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny, read by Alessandro Juliani. This is the first book in the classic SFF Chronicles of Amber series that I read 40 years ago. My tastes for many things have changed greatly since then, but I'm already getting deeply into this book. It's well read, and the story is making me want to find an excuse to listen. Plus the world that Zelazny created for Amber is still compelling.
Sigh. While I enjoyed this book, and I have the next two sitting on my iPhone, I'm finding I don't have a compelling interest in listening to them. I think I'm going to take a break and listen to some other stuff I've got on here. So, next up, Harry Potter read by Stephen Fry. Already in Diagon Alley, and really enjoying Mr. Fry's excellent reading.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #359
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I generally don't listen to a series back to back, just to avoid the getting burned out on it. For example, over the last several months I've been alternating between Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson series, Zelazny's Amber series (listening to Hand of Oberon right now), Steven Brust's Taltos series and David Weber's War God series. Throw in a few new books (The Mark of Athena, the latest Rick Riordan book is currently queued up behind Hand of Oberon) and I get a good enough mix that I don't get burned out on any one author. I also find that it's good to try to mix the tone of the books. That's one reason that I like to mix in youth books, such as the Harry Potter and the Rick Riordan books, with the gritter books such as the Mercy Thompson books. Weber's War God series makes a nice change of pace from the urban fantasy or the Zelazny/Brust books.

Last edited by pwalker8; 11-21-2012 at 06:55 AM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #360
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Generally, I'd agree with pwalker8, and why I broke off from the Zelazny Amber books. I've got two more in my Audible Library, so I'll undoubtedly read them. But the one exception to that restraint was my recent listen to the entire Liaden Universe series in audio books. I didn't burn out at all, and found myself doing all sorts of things to justify finding more time to listen.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations