Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-14-2022, 03:46 PM   #1
GnRFan79
Enthusiast
GnRFan79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
How to adjust Line Spacing with Send to Kindle Email

Is there any way at all to use the Send To Kindle Email method with a Mobi file and have any control over the line spacing on the resulting file when it reaches the Kindle and the Kindle app on IOS?

I have a few epub files that I have converted to Mobi but when I send them via send to Kindle email, the gap/spacing between the lines is much more than a standard book.

Cloud sync is really important as I read in my Kindle and IOS devices.

All I want to do is reduce the line spacing. Is there any to do this whilst still being able to use the send to Kindle email method?
GnRFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:59 PM   #2
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
You might try taking the ePub, rename it to .txt, and email it to Kindle.

The .txt gets it through the type checks yet afterwards the ePub format is detected and converted.

httpshttps://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288964&page=6&highlight=Rename

Last edited by Little.Egret; 04-14-2022 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Add link to discussion of rename
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2022, 03:45 AM   #3
GnRFan79
Enthusiast

It’s no different unfortunately the line spacing is still really big.

It looks to me like any file that you email to your Kindle, The conversion process completely ignores the formatting.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:58 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnRFan79 View Post
It’s no different unfortunately the line spacing is still really big.

It looks to me like any file that you email to your Kindle, The conversion process completely ignores the formatting.
KDP uses a standard 1.2em line-spacing. No matter what you send to Kindle, no matter what you email yourself, or sideload via Wired USB, you will get 1.2em line-heights.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 04:22 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
KDP uses a standard 1.2em line-spacing. No matter what you send to Kindle, no matter what you email yourself, or sideload via Wired USB, you will get 1.2em line-heights.

Hitch
There is a way to fix the line-spacing. But that requires a KF8 (AZW3) format eBook. If you use CareInk (font), it is set in the font's metadata to give a smaller line-space on a Kindle and so it reduces the 1.2em line space to something smaller.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2022, 06:06 PM   #6
GnRFan79
Enthusiast

I read my books on all my devices, which all stay in sync via the cloud.

I will just have to re-buy the books direct from Amazon.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:54 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a way to fix the line-spacing. But that requires a KF8 (AZW3) format eBook. If you use CareInk (font), it is set in the font's metadata to give a smaller line-space on a Kindle and so it reduces the 1.2em line space to something smaller.
That's only if you sideload, Jon, not if you use any of Amazon's typical tools for transport, right? The moment the file goes through the KDP processes of any kind, the 1.2em line-heights kick in.

Hitch
Old 04-20-2022, 03:13 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
That's only if you sideload, Jon, not if you use any of Amazon's typical tools for transport, right? The moment the file goes through the KDP processes of any kind, the 1.2em line-heights kick in.

Hitch
As long as it's a KF8 format eBook, ChareInk will lower the 1.2em line height. It will not work for Mobi or KFX. I've tried it on a side loaded KFX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:23 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As long as it's a KF8 format eBook, ChareInk will lower the 1.2em line height. It will not work for Mobi or KFX. I've tried it on a side loaded KFX.
That's because you're sideloading it. If you're sideloading it, you can use pretty much any damned font and set the line-heights. ChareInk is moot.

The MOMENT the file is emailed to the Kindle address, or sent to the Kindle any other way that touches upon the KDP-verse, the line-heights change. He could use Times New Roman and set it to 1.0em if he wanted--as long as he sideloads. TTBOMK.

Hitch
Old 04-21-2022, 03:05 AM   #10
GnRFan79
Enthusiast

I don’t think it would be a problem if I sideloaded the mobi files, but having reading progress synced across all my devices is more important to me.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:26 AM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnRFan79 View Post
I don’t think it would be a problem if I sideloaded the mobi files, but having reading progress synced across all my devices is more important to me.
I don't think that that would be affected by the sideloading versus emailing. Gang? Y'all do that more than I do, with Calibre, etc.

Hitch
Old 04-21-2022, 11:27 AM   #12
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I regularly get books from NetGalley, both PDF and epub. They are mailed to my Fire tablet through the @kindle address, which I assume is Send To Kindle. They vary a lot in line spacing, and highlights do not show up at read.amazon.com/notebook as do books I borrow from the e-brary or (infrequently) purchase from Amazon.

But perhaps this is neither sideloading nor Send to Kindle? They don't have a cover image.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:51 AM   #13
GnRFan79
Enthusiast

I do think it’s a shame that sending a .mobi file via the email to Kindle method changes the formatting. You would have thought that as it’s in .mobi format it would just send it to the Kindle as is, rather than performing some additional conversion before it arrives.

Unless they don’t actually touch the .mobi file when you email it, and it’s the actual .mobi file and a quirk with the .mobi reading system on a Kindle and the Kindle IOS apps?
Old 04-21-2022, 11:53 AM   #14
GnRFan79
Enthusiast

Does anyone know if it is the converted .mobi file itself where the increased line spacing occurs, or if it’s the Kindle software and Kindle apps that interpret the .mobi file incorrectly?
Old 04-21-2022, 12:02 PM   #15
GnRFan79
Enthusiast

I’ve just converted a .epub file to .mobi with an online converter and opened the resulting file in a couple of different .mobi reader apps, as well as an online viewer, and the line spacing is very condensed in all of the viewers.

So it appears that it may be the actual .mobi file itself causing the spacing issues?

Tags
email, ios, kindle