Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-24-2021, 08:50 AM   #1
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast
tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (jailbroken)
Lightbulb KindleBreak - Software Jailbreak for (almost) any Kindle <= 5.13.3

A huge thank you to katadelos, yparitcher, SKK, jp12323 for helping me develop and debug this exploit!
Thanks to NiLuJe for customizing his jailbreak to work with it and everyone from the KindleDrip thread who helped me test it!

KindleBreak is based on KindleDrip, discovered by Yogev Bar-On, who did an amazing job finding and documenting this vulnerability.
They were not involved in the making of KindleBreak in any way.

Start here!

First of all, if you're here from the Open Sesame! thread, then welcome, keep reading! If you're not, you should go there and read it from the beginning until it directs you to come back here.

If you have any questions, consult the FAQ!
Even though this method has been extensively tested by every supported device / firmware version, you may encounter technical issues (none that may harm you device in any way), in that case consult the Technical FAQ!

Check if your device is supported using the steps below:
  1. Use the Wiki to identify your device and make sure that its nickname is on this list:
    Spoiler:
    • KOA3
    • KT4
    • PW4
    • KOA2
    • KT3
    • KOA
    • KV
    • PW3
    • KT2
    • PW2

If you didn't find your device and you're wondering if it'll ever get added, consult the FAQ!

2. If you did, then make sure it's running one of these firmwares:
    (You can check your firmware version in Settings->Device Options->Device Info->Firmware Version)
    Spoiler:

Versions that don't work:
    Spoiler:
    • Anything above 5.13.3
    • 5.12.2.2.2 : (With this version you can't upgrade either, it's actually newer than 5.13.3 despite the name.)
    • Anything below 5.10.3

Keep in mind that versions >= 5.12.x DON'T have a sure-proof way to block automatic updates right now. There is a method but I'm not sure it's been tested extensively enough for me to recommend it. If you still want to try it, check this thread for more info. Please report your results to either that thread or this one if you end up trying it! Without an OTA blocker, you'll have to keep airplane mode on if you want to be sure to avoid updates that can possibly remove your jailbreak.

If your firmware is not on this list that can be for 3 reasons:

1. It's higher than 5.13.3: Your device is not supported by this jailbreak.
    2. It's lower than 5.10.3: You can update it to one of the versions on the list. If you want to stay on your current version for some reason, consult the FAQ! If you want to update to a later version and you don't know how to, check the Firmware updating tutorial!
    3. It's neither, but still not on the list: I might have missed some firmware versions, so please reply to this thread and I'll make sure to get your specific version tested. If you don't want to wait, then feel free to update to one of the higher versions that are on this list. If you don't know how to do that, check the Firmware updating tutorial!

If your firmware is on the list, let's begin the Jailbreaking process:

Even though this method uses your browser, you DO NOT NEED WIFI enabled for it. Turning airplane mode off / wifi on will just risk your device updating.
  1. Download this: jb-kindlebreak.zip

2. Connect your kindle to your PC with an USB in USBMS mode and unpack the contents of the archive you've just downloaded to the top-level of the visible USB storage. (It's the same directory where the documents folder is.)

It should look like this:
    Code:
    ... (other folders and files)
    kindlebreak.jxr
    kindlebreak.html
    jb.sh
    jb
    documents/
    ... (other folders and files)
  3. Unplug your USB, open your Kindle's "Experimental Browser" from the top right menu, and navigate to:
    Code:
    file:///mnt/us/kindlebreak.html
    (make sure it's 'file:///', not 'file://')

Your browser should freeze, crash and after some time (this can range from few seconds to several minutes depending on your device) your Kindle will reboot. It'll probably give you some kind of error window with the title along the lines of "Application Error" or "Collecting Debug Info".

After your device has rebooted, you're done with this thread.
The jailbreak will delete all of its own files to clean up after itself. The only thing that will be left behind is the debug log, kindlebreak_log.txt. Please keep that file until you managed to install the Jailbreak hotfix, for debugging purposes!

Now, head back to the Open Seasame! thread and continue the jailbreaking process starting from the "Making sure your JB survives updates." section!

If you've ran into any technical issues, please consult the Technical FAQ!

FAQ
Spoiler:

Q. What does this jailbreak do exactly? Is there any chance of it harming my device in any way or bricking it?

A. There are zero risks involved. The worst case scenario is that nothing will happen. The only thing this jailbreak does is it puts a developer key on your device, essentially jailbreaking it.

Q. I didn't find my device on the list, will it ever be supported?

A. The only other device that might get supported is PW. I'll start working on that after the initial burst of people trying this method slow down. The older devices are immune to this exploit. Kindles releasing after KOA3 will almost definitely have firmware versions above 5.13.3, they won't be supported.

Q. I didn't find my firmware on the list, will it ever be supported?

A. Technically it's possible to generate new jailbreaking kits for any firmware version between 5.3.0 and 5.13.3. If your firmware is in that range and you have a good reason why you'd refrain from updating (not something like "I'm too lazy / don't know how to update"), then leave a reply in this thread and explain your point. Testing a new kit - especially if it's for a really old firmware - takes a long time, but if there is demand, I'm willing to try.

If you didn't find an answer to your question, feel free to ask in this thread!

Technical FAQ
Spoiler:

Q. My browser successfully loads the website and it won't crash, what am I doing wrong?

A. Double check step 2 and 3 of the jailbreaking process. Maybe you've made a typo or put the files to the wrong location. Make sure that your browser has images enabled in the Browser Settings menu on the top right!

If you ran into any issues not present here, please leave a reply to this thread where you describe your problem! Make sure to include answers to these questions before your problem description:

1.) What device were you using?
2.) Which firmware version is on that device?
3.) What did the browser do when you navigated to kindlebreak.html?
4.) Do you have a file called kindlebreak_log.txt in your USB's root directory? If so, what's in side it?

Firmware updating tutorial (If your current firmware is not supported)
Spoiler:
  1. Choose your device from the list below, copy the URL displayed next to its nickname and replace 5.XX.X with your desired firmware version. Make sure that the firmware you chose is on the list of supported versions above! PW2 and KT2 don't have firmwares above 5.12.2.1.1, you won't be able to download them.

2. Connect your kindle to your PC with an USB in USBMS mode and put the downloaded update.bin file to the top-level of the visible USB storage. (It's the same directory where the documents folder is.)

3. Unplug your USB, go to Settings on your Kindle, then from the top right menu, choose Update Your Kindle. Your kindle will restart and update to the new firmware version. Now go back to the supported firmware versions section and continue from there!

Last edited by tryol; 01-27-2022 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Fixed typo (ty AlanHK)
tryol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #2
maiko
maiko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Can't install JB hotfix

Thanks a lot for the jailbreak!

I have a PW3, firmware 5.12.3.

Jailbreak works perfectly:
Code:
Loaded logging functions
Didn't find existing developer key
Created developer key
Updated permissions for developer key
Finished installing jailbreak, restarting..
However, the next step, installing the JB Hotfix doesn't work. The "Update your Kindle" fails with "Error 007 - The update was unsuccessful". Any idea on what I am doing wrong?
maiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #3
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast
tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiko View Post
Thanks a lot for the jailbreak!

I have a PW3, firmware 5.12.3.

Jailbreak works perfectly:
Code:
Loaded logging functions
Didn't find existing developer key
Created developer key
However, the next step, installing the JB Hotfix doesn't work. The "Update your Kindle" fails with "Error 007 - The update was unsuccessful". Any idea on what I am doing wrong?
If that doesn't work, that'd mean that the jailbreak failed to install the developer keys. Sending you a PM in a few minutes.

Edit: Never mind, seems like your account is too new and I can't PM you.

Can you try running the exploit again to see if the log says "Removed existing developer key" instead of "Didn't find existing developer key"? If that ends up being the case, that means that you're doing something wrong when you're trying to install the JB Hotfix. Don't worry about running it again, even if u ran it a 100 times nothing bad would happen, it's made with that in mind.

Please let me know how it went!

(Hopefully the logging can be updated to check if the file gets created correctly soon, so others won't have to run it twice.)

Edit: This issue has been resolved, the jailbreak failed for devices >= 5.12.x, but now it works.

Last edited by tryol; 03-24-2021 at 03:16 PM. Reason: The issue has been resolved
Old 03-24-2021, 11:20 AM   #4
maiko
maiko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryol View Post
If that doesn't work, that'd mean that the jailbreak failed to install the developer keys. Sending you a PM in a few minutes.

Can you try running the exploit again to see if the log says "Removed existing developer key" instead of "Didn't find existing developer key"? If that ends up being the case, that means that you're doing something wrong when you're trying to install the JB Hotfix.
This time:
Code:
Loaded logging functions
Removed existing developer key
Created developer key
It looks like installing the developer key worked.
But I still have the same issue with the jb hotfix
I am putting "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin" in the usb root directory and then use "Update your Kindle".
maiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #5
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Some formatting issue with version numbers in the Check spoiler 2 (5.12.2...).
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #6
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Some formatting issue with version numbers in the Check spoiler 2 (5.12.2...).
Thanks! Fixed.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:11 PM   #7
Dra_w
Night Owl
Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3; Kindle Voyage
Hi. Thanks very much for your effort.
I try to install on my KO3 fw 5.13.1, the jb seem ok but also get the 007 error code when install the Hotfix, I try install the exploit again but not success.

Edit: It's resolved I have my OA3 jailbroken. Thank you very much

Last edited by Dra_w; 03-24-2021 at 09:01 PM.
Dra_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #8
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra_w View Post
Hi. Thanks very much for your effort.
I try to install on my KO3 fw 5.13.1, the jb seem ok but also get the 007 error code when install the Hotfix, I try install the exploit again but not success.
Sent you a PM. Let's get to the bottom of this!
Seems like the exploit is working correctly but there is something wrong with the jb.sh file. Either that or you're not installing the Hotfix correctly.

Edit: This issue has been resolved, the jailbreak failed for devices >= 5.12.x, but now it works.

Last edited by tryol; 03-24-2021 at 03:16 PM. Reason: The issue has been resolved
Old 03-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #9
jp12323
jp12323 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (Jailbroken)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryol View Post

Can you try running the exploit again to see if the log says "Removed existing developer key" instead of "Didn't find existing developer key"? If that ends up being the case, that means that you're doing something wrong when you're trying to install the JB Hotfix. Don't worry about running it again, even if u ran it a 100 times nothing bad would happen, it's made with that in mind.

Please let me know how it went!

(Hopefully the logging can be updated to check if the file gets created correctly soon, so others won't have to run it twice.)
I have the same issue (007 error trying to install JB Hotfix). So I ran the exploit again like you mentioned, and the log says "Removed existing developer key" this time.
Had the same issue (007 Error) rerunning the JB Hotfix (tried it 3 times).

Not sure if I'm doing something incorrectly while installing the JB Hotfix. Basically just put the "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin" in the root directory of the kindle, unplug microusb from the device, go to settings -> Device Options -> Advanced Options -> Update Your Kindle and let it do it's thing which is when the 007 error occurs.

Kindle Oasis 2 - 5.13.3
jp12323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #10
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast

For the people waiting for the positive reviews flood in before they use the jailbreak:

I wouldn't have posted this thread if I wasn't absolutely sure that the jailbreak would work on every single device and firmware combination I've listed in the op.
Considering that the finalized version of the jailbreak was tested and confirmed to be working on multiple devices just yesterday, with no failed tests, this is really weird behaviour.

I'll keep you updated here whenever something changes. Here is a picture of my jailbroken Oasis 3 just to further stress that this method has been confirmed to be working on every device I've listed: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=48

Last edited by tryol; 03-24-2021 at 03:57 PM. Reason: The issue has been resolved
Old 03-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #11
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp12323 View Post
I have the same issue (007 error trying to install JB Hotfix). So I ran the exploit again like you mentioned, and the log says "Removed existing developer key" this time.
Had the same issue (007 Error) rerunning the JB Hotfix (tried it 3 times).

Not sure if I'm doing something incorrectly while installing the JB Hotfix. Basically just put the "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin" in the root directory of the kindle, unplug microusb from the device, go to settings -> Device Options -> Advanced Options -> Update Your Kindle and let it do it's thing which is when the 007 error occurs.

Kindle Oasis 2 - 5.13.3
You are doing everything correctly, for some reason even though the developer key gets created, the JB hotfix doesn't install, even though I've confirmed with the creator of the hotfix that that's the only requirement.

I'm working on finding out what's exactly wrong here.

Last edited by tryol; 03-24-2021 at 03:58 PM. Reason: The issue has been resolved
Old 03-24-2021, 01:37 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Oh, wait, I know what's wrong.

There's a reason the emergency script ran more things >_<".

(I shouldn't be doing these things at 4AM and no sleep, sorry ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:39 PM   #13
delfinogrisu
delfinogrisu began at the beginning.

Device: pw4
hi same problem to me error 007 with pw4-32

Code:
Loaded logging functions
Removed existing developer key
Created developer key
delfinogrisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:50 PM   #14
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast

I'll update this post once the 007 error gets fixed.

Until then please don't post reports of this issue!
NiLuJe is probably working on it right now.

Edit: I've been told that this issue only affects devices with firmwares >=5.12.x.
A fix is on its way.

Edit: This issue has been resolved.

Last edited by tryol; 03-24-2021 at 03:58 PM. Reason: The issue has been resolved.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:17 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Okay, this *should* be fixed now, sorry about that :/. (Simply re-download the ZIP).

It would only have been an issue for people on FW >= 5.12.x, so if you have a previous version of the kindlebreak zip and you're running an older FW, you're fine .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.13.3, exploit, jailbreak, kindle, kindlebreak