Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-23-2023, 11:37 AM   #2221
MrKaon
MrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enough

Device: KV, PW5
Hello Guys
I am using Kindle Voyage, downgraded and rooted (with hotfix and KUAL installed) at FW 5.11.2.
It is in Aeroplane Mode, but I want to keep it connected to the internet. For DeDRM reasons, I want to stay at 5.11.2 permanently.
Anyway, do you think I can prevent Firmware updates?
MrKaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:56 AM   #2222
MrKaon
MrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enough

I think I find my answer in the Helper package.
Advert
Old 01-23-2023, 12:11 PM   #2223
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKaon View Post
Hello Guys
I am using Kindle Voyage, downgraded and rooted (with hotfix and KUAL installed) at FW 5.11.2.
It is in Aeroplane Mode, but I want to keep it connected to the internet. For DeDRM reasons, I want to stay at 5.11.2 permanently.
You need the Rename OTA binaries extension to KUAL.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 01:25 PM   #2224
MrKaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
You need the Rename OTA binaries extension to KUAL.

Dave
Which extension do I need to install?
Old 01-23-2023, 02:31 PM   #2225
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which extension do I need to install?
This one:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=25

Dave
Advert
Old 01-23-2023, 11:05 PM   #2226
oldman20
oldman20 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
is it working properly in 5.14.2?
oldman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:58 AM   #2227
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman20 View Post
is it working properly in 5.14.2?
By personal experience with that firmware, yes. I believe I have even heard reports of it working properly on later firmware.

Dave
Old 02-01-2023, 11:50 AM   #2228
sunny0s
sunny0s began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glueckstiger View Post
Hi,

I am new to jailbreaking kindle and i am a little bit lost.

I have done so far:
- jailbroke my PW5 (5.14.2)
- installed K5-JB-Hotfix
- installed MRPI
- copied Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7.26_install.bin to mrpackages folder on PW5
- run ";log mrpi" on searchbar
=> MRPI overlay says: installing something, then switching things on display...

What i didnt have done so far:
- setting up user and wifi on PW5

Where should i see KUAL icon on my kindle?
I have in my library only the two "books" "kindle feedback" and "set up your kindle".
Same for me, but also the last Coplate build doesnt work for me(Update_KUALBooklet_ff4134d_install.bin from KUAL-ff4134d-20221017.tar.xz). Maybe someone has an older working version?
sunny0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:43 AM   #2229
vitalidon
vitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Voyage 5.12.1, Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Hello Guys
Any particular reason to downgrade to version 5.11.2 instead of 5.12.1 for deDRM purpose?
I also have a Voyage and looking to downgrade too.
Thank you.
vitalidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:34 PM   #2230
MrKaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidon View Post
Any particular reason to downgrade to version 5.11.2 instead of 5.12.1 for deDRM purpose?
I also have a Voyage and looking to downgrade too.
Thank you.
Just to make sure OTA blocking works , I read with FW > 5.12 OTA blocking can be missed.

Last edited by MrKaon; 02-07-2023 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:09 AM   #2231
vitalidon
vitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Just to make sure OTA blocking works , I read with FW > 5.12 OTA blocking can be missed.
According to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=75 the current OTA blocking works with any recent version of firmware.

"As to bypassing ota binaries, it works as well. The most recent FW 5.13.6 is dated April 2021 and my KV is still on FW 5.13.5. Not that it matters for we have got WatchThis for any device running a FW version <= to 5.14.2.
Do it manually or by renametobin KUAL extension."

Also, I found this info: "update.bin.tmp.partial does not work for firmware greater or equal to 5.11. OTA mishap can happen on any FW after 5.11.x, so just make sure to use Rename OTA bins stuff".

I already downgraded my Voyage to 5.12.1 as this is supposed to be the last version supporting the old decryptable KFX format.
To avoid KFX books entirely on Voyage you would have to revert as far as before version 5.6.5. In this case Amazon may not even deliver files to the device, it is hard to know at this point.

I applied the renamebin KUAL extension to prevent firmware upgrades, so far so good.

If you have more info in regards to benefits of staying on 5.11.x firmware on our Voyage please share.
For now it looks like 5.12.1 is as good as any 5.11.x version based on my brief research.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:57 AM   #2232
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
To avoid KFX books entirely on Voyage you would have to revert as far as before version 5.6.5. In this case Amazon may not even deliver files to the device, it is hard to know at this point.
Not hard to know at all.

I have a Voyage running 5.6.1 that amazon delivers azw3+azw6 to.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:53 PM   #2233
vitalidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Not hard to know at all.

I have a Voyage running 5.6.1 that amazon delivers azw3+azw6 to.
I see. Thank you for this information. Too bad that it is not just a separate azw3 file as the older devices.
According to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=351285 Calibre has troubles converting the azw3+azw6 combination.
That's why so far was confirmed that the most recent calibre-friendly device is Kindle 4 Touch. Kindle 4NT is also receiving azw3-only books. I am not sure if Kindle 3 gets azw3 files or older mobi format.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:08 PM   #2234
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I see. Thank you for this information. Too bad that it is not just a separate azw3 file as the older devices.
According to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=351285 Calibre has troubles converting the azw3+azw6 combination.
That's why so far was confirmed that the most recent calibre-friendly device is Kindle 4 Touch. Kindle 4NT is also receiving azw3-only books. I am not sure if Kindle 3 gets azw3 files or older mobi format.
Yeah, no way yet to merge azw3+azw6 from kindle OTA downloads. I am bitterly disappointed that amazon delivers azw6 OTA, especially since the image quality sucks. But for text only books (or books with only a few images you don't care about, it doesn't matter. The text is fine. And if you are reading on a kindle, you can copy the azw6 to the book's .sdr directory and the images will work.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:47 AM   #2235
mattcd216
Enthusiast
mattcd216 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 D01100
Hiya. linux sysadmin here, new to kindle playing.

Kindle 4, jailbroken, installed usbnetwork and KUAL... wondering if I can get a 'button' (?) in Kual to run a shell script? Or if there's another simple way to run a script manually from the kindle (not ssh).

Thanks

Last edited by mattcd216; 02-16-2023 at 06:21 AM.
mattcd216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified