Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2022, 10:23 AM   #1
compukol
compukol began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre to Kindle email

When I tried to send an eBook from Calibre to my kindle email, it doesn't accept EPUB format. If I send the MOBI format, I get the following message back from Kindle support in an email:

Dear Kindle Customer,

Thank you for using the Send to Kindle service to send personal documents to your Kindle library. We noticed that the following document(s), sent by you at 01:37 PM on Tue, Jul 26, 2022 GMT are in MOBI (.mobi, .azw) formats:
* The Street of Crocodiles - Bruno Schulz & Celina Wieniewska & Jerzy Ficowski.mobi

We wanted to let you know that starting August 2022, you’ll no longer be able to send MOBI (.mobi, .azw) files to your Kindle library. Any MOBI files already in your library will not be affected by this change. MOBI is an older file format and won’t support the newest Kindle features for documents. Any existing MOBI files you want to read with our most up-to-date features for documents will need to be re-sent in a compatible format.

Compatible formats now include EPUB (.epub), which you can send to your library using your Send to Kindle email address. We’ll also be adding EPUB support to the free Kindle app for iOS and Android devices and the Send to Kindle desktop app for PC and Mac.

When would Calibre support the new Send to Kindle via email format?
compukol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:51 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...-of-mobi-files
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:46 AM   #3
monophoto
Connoisseur
monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Amazon Fire HD8 (2020)
This issues appears to have been resolved, and it is now (on 1 August) possible to send a document from Calibre to Kindle in EPUB format.
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:55 PM   #4
Smoke65
Smoke65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The only response to this clear problem is a link to the manual? Go figure

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-29-2023 at 10:19 PM. Reason: expletive deleted
Smoke65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:33 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It was a link to the Frequently Asked Questions that addressed the particular question that was asked. If you do not believe that was adequate then please explain why.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 04:24 AM   #6
bubak
Connoisseur
bubak began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
converting EPUB to AZW3 in Send to KIndle

It seems that Amazon is now finally rejecting MOBI files in Send to Kindle. So far I was getting a warning in my email but the file was sent and was well readable, now this is not possible. I've tried to send EPUBs instead and failed: On my voyage the file was converted to AZW3 by Amazon, sent to my kindle but it lacked the usual buttons, I could read it only from beginning to end. Previously, with MOBI, I could select each news from a menu. On oasis, though, the file has never arrived. I haven't tried to convert the file to MOBI and or back, because I'm downloading various news every morning and this should go automatically, otherwise I can just copy news to each Kindle via USB.

I'd be interested in other people's experiences with Send to kindle, whether anyone has succeeded to make it work, at least partially. I've also tried to send all other accepted formats, but the kindle oasis didn't accept any of them.
bubak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 01:09 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubak View Post
It seems that Amazon is now finally rejecting MOBI files in Send to Kindle. So far I was getting a warning in my email but the file was sent and was well readable, now this is not possible. I've tried to send EPUBs instead and failed: On my voyage the file was converted to AZW3 by Amazon, sent to my kindle but it lacked the usual buttons, I could read it only from beginning to end. Previously, with MOBI, I could select each news from a menu. On oasis, though, the file has never arrived. I haven't tried to convert the file to MOBI and or back, because I'm downloading various news every morning and this should go automatically, otherwise I can just copy news to each Kindle via USB.

I'd be interested in other people's experiences with Send to kindle, whether anyone has succeeded to make it work, at least partially. I've also tried to send all other accepted formats, but the kindle oasis didn't accept any of them.
Periodical format is only supported by mobi. Personally, sideloading from calibre to a Kindle ereader as mobi still works and seems to be the only solution at this time.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 03:30 AM   #8
bubak
Connoisseur

Interesting. What do you mean by sideloading and which kindle do you have? As I've written, voyage and oasis seem to behave differently.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:01 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Sideloading would be connecting your Kindle to your computer using an USB cable and sending the .mobi periodical to your Kindle. As for which Kindle I have? Paperwhite 10th generation (fw 5.16.6). Mostly used to check formatting on books that are destined to be published on Amazon.

I find it weird that your Oasis was unable to receive the same file as your Voyage. Are both connected to the same Amazon account? Can you purchase or borrow an ebook from Amazon and have it show up on both devices? Someone more experienced might have some comments on how you have your library view configured on both that might cause this type of issue.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 12:42 PM   #10
bubak
Connoisseur

I think Amazon is sending a different file for Voyage and Oasis. The problems started when Amazon stopped to email MOBI files, apart from that both are compatible.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:55 AM   #11
bubak
Connoisseur

Still struggling with the Email to kindle feature. My previous setup: The news were downloaded in MOBI format and directly mailed to the kindle Oasis. When I connected the second kindle Voyage per USB, the news were automatically copied to it.

With the new Amazon policy I don't seem able to reproduce this. First of all, no matter which format I use to download news and mail to Amazon, it does not appear in the Oasis. But when I look at its inside using the USB cable, I can see the AZW3 file, so it is probably in a format which is not recognizable by the Oasis, although it was Amazon proper which converted it to AZW3.

The second part does not work either. The best results are with downloading news to EPUB, then it gets automatically converted to MOBI and sent per USB to the Voyage. The page setup is slightly unusual but nothing serious. When the news get downloaded to any other format accepted by Amazon (I've tried DOCX, HTML, TXT and RTF), the results of converting to MOBI are disappointing. I find this strange because the news are downloaded by calibre and converted by calibre, so the MOBI output should be flawless, shouldn't it?

Tags
send to kindle