Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-13-2020, 11:28 PM   #1
xversion1
Enthusiast
xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Can I integrate covers into azw3 files?

So here the thing; If I convert an epub file to azw3 file, and then add cover to this file using Calibre, this cover only shows if I sent the book to Kindle via Calibre. Otherwise if I copy it directly from folder on my computer to folder on Kindle, this book doesn't have a cover. So I guess the cover I use Calibre to add to azw3 file doesn't really forge in the file but act as a seperate picture file. I hope I can somehow stick the cover with the azw3 file itself so I just need to copy only one azw3 file and cover always included. Is it possible?
xversion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:02 AM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can tell you how I do it with an epub using sigil, after which converting it to azw3 will preserve the cover properly. There's probably a less intensive way to do it entirely with calibre. In sigil add the cover image to the images folder, then right click on it and select cover image, then in the tools menu at the top select add cover and in the window that comes up select the cover image from the previous step. Save and quit. Now you can convert it to azw3.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:39 AM   #3
xversion1
Enthusiast
xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I can tell you how I do it with an epub using sigil, after which converting it to azw3 will preserve the cover properly. There's probably a less intensive way to do it entirely with calibre. In sigil add the cover image to the images folder, then right click on it and select cover image, then in the tools menu at the top select add cover and in the window that comes up select the cover image from the previous step. Save and quit. Now you can convert it to azw3.
Does doing this way make covers show up on kindle even if you download azw3 file from a cloud storage via experimental browser? I don't use Sigil but I use Calibre to convert epub to azw3, most of my epub files already have covers, no need to add them manually, but after convert to azw3 files and copy/paste those files to Kindle, there's no cover appears.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:13 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The problem is not in calibre or the AZW3 file or file format, but with how the Kindle handles the file. The cover will be there in the file, but the Kindle ignores it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:14 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon doesn't like covers. So they handle them very poorly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #6
xversion1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The problem is not in calibre or the AZW3 file or file format, but with how the Kindle handles the file. The cover will be there in the file, but the Kindle ignores it.
But if I send azw3 files via Calibre "Sent to device" then the covers show up. What makes the difference?
Old 01-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by xversion1 View Post
But if I send azw3 files via Calibre "Sent to device" then the covers show up. What makes the difference?
Calibre creates and loads a separate cover thumbnail file. The Kindle will use this thumbnail for sideloaded KF8/AZW3 format files marked internally as a book (cdetype=EBOK).

MOBI7 files do not have this problem because the Kindle firmware is able to extract a cover thumbnail from them. Kindle does not support this capability for AZW3 files.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #8
xversion1
Enthusiast

So I guess I can't sort this out. The conclusion is there's no way for a converted azw3 file to show its cover on Kindle just by download the file alone. Thank you all!
Old 01-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #9
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
So I guess I can't sort this out. The conclusion is there's no way for a converted azw3 file to show its cover on Kindle just by download the file alone ...
Actually, you can (or at least, you could when I did this a few years ago).

Kindle pulls the cover image from Amazon's servers based on the ASIN number embedded in the azw3 file.

For this to work, first find the 10-digit ASIN number from the book page on Amazon's website. It usually starts with "B". Then you need to add the following to the opf:

Code:
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="MOBI-ASIN">B000000000</dc:identifier>
OR
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="AMAZON">B000000000</dc:identifier>

(use the actual ASIN number, not all 0s)
In Calibre, you can add the ASIN under Edit Metadata: Ids: asin:B00000000 or amazon:B00000000. If there's already something in the "Ids" field, separate the new information with a comma. Then convert epub to azw3 and run Quality Check: Fix ASIN for Kindle Fire. This will embed the ASIN in the azw3.

Or open the epub in Sigil and export via KindleGen plugin and select "Add fake ASIN".

When you download the book from experimental browser, Kindle will pull the cover image from Amazon's servers (provided WiFi is on, which it would be if you're using the experimental browser).

Note: this won't work if you use Send-to-Kindle because Amazon overwrites the ASIN with a new one when you use Send-to-Kindle.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:35 AM   #10
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, that's almost always the case. Not only will Amazon try to drop the included cover, but I've had a frontispiece thrown out as well. I had to move it past the TOC in order to include it.

For publishing through Amazon, the cover is merged after one has uploaded both the text file (without cover) and the separate product image.

It's always best to avoid the included cover for a Kindle edition, because sometimes (usually because one has uploaded an epub) we wind up with TWO covers, the one the author provided (which is not full screen) and the one incorporated by the KDP software. And of course we pay the download fee for the included cover!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #11
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Calibre creates and loads a separate cover thumbnail file. The Kindle will use this thumbnail for sideloaded KF8/AZW3 format files marked internally as a book (cdetype=EBOK).

MOBI7 files do not have this problem because the Kindle firmware is able to extract a cover thumbnail from them. Kindle does not support this capability for AZW3 files.
Yesterday a publisher sent me a PDF file for a book I intend to review. I used Calibre to convert it to AZW3 and emailed it to my Fire tablet. It was rejected and I was told to use a mobi. So I did, and it came through just fine (with the usual concessions that a PDF conversion is not going to be perfect).

I remembered that I had been in the habit of using mobi for Send-to-Kindle, but had forgotten why.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:41 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Yes, that's almost always the case. Not only will Amazon try to drop the included cover, but I've had a frontispiece thrown out as well. I had to move it past the TOC in order to include it.[...]
You're talking about uploading to Amazon for publishing. This thread is about side loading onto a Kindle.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Yesterday a publisher sent me a PDF file for a book I intend to review. I used Calibre to convert it to AZW3 and emailed it to my Fire tablet. It was rejected and I was told to use a mobi. So I did, and it came through just fine (with the usual concessions that a PDF conversion is not going to be perfect).

I remembered that I had been in the habit of using mobi for Send-to-Kindle, but had forgotten why.
You cannot do a proper review of this converted PDF unless you are 100% sure there are no errors due tot he conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #14
xversion1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Actually, you can (or at least, you could when I did this a few years ago).

Kindle pulls the cover image from Amazon's servers based on the ASIN number embedded in the azw3 file.

For this to work, first find the 10-digit ASIN number from the book page on Amazon's website. It usually starts with "B". Then you need to add the following to the opf:

Code:
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="MOBI-ASIN">B000000000</dc:identifier>
OR
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="AMAZON">B000000000</dc:identifier>

(use the actual ASIN number, not all 0s)
In Calibre, you can add the ASIN under Edit Metadata: Ids: asin:B00000000 or amazon:B00000000. If there's already something in the "Ids" field, separate the new information with a comma. Then convert epub to azw3 and run Quality Check: Fix ASIN for Kindle Fire. This will embed the ASIN in the azw3.

Or open the epub in Sigil and export via KindleGen plugin and select "Add fake ASIN".

When you download the book from experimental browser, Kindle will pull the cover image from Amazon's servers (provided WiFi is on, which it would be if you're using the experimental browser).

Note: this won't work if you use Send-to-Kindle because Amazon overwrites the ASIN with a new one when you use Send-to-Kindle.
Works like a charm. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2022, 08:22 PM   #15
robarr
robarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2022, iPad mini 4, tab s6 lite 2022
Can confirm it still works on azw3 with new kindle paperwhite

Quote:
Works like a charm. Thanks!
Can confirm it still works on azw3 with new kindle paperwhite
robarr is offline   Reply With Quote