Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-15-2015, 07:41 PM   #1021
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thank you!

Um, it's kind of hard to feel good about weighing less than someone who was 11 months pregnant!

At least it's significantly less....
For the record my ideal weight is 7 lbs less than the 11 month pregnancy weight.
Hence was underweight even then. The baby was almost 8 lbs.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #1022
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm going to post here occasionally, to hold myself accountable. Fair warning!

So, I've been keeping things in check since I took off those seven pounds and have drifted slightly below my goal. But. I notice the bad habits are creeping back. Wine has gone from a couple of nights a week to every night and I've gotten "snackier" again. Oy, this is tough. I need to dig deep and find a little more resolve, especially heading into the holidays, or January won't be pretty.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #1023
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
FWIW -- the ONLY way I've found to successfully combat the 'snackier' tendency .... particularly at night ... is to NOT buy any snack food and NOT bring any home. Late night foraging safaris can overcome any amount of resolve ... you just don't care when it's 11:00 pm and you want to finish the chapter you're reading .... and you're hungry ...

If that fails, only keep Triscuits in the house ... it's almost impossible to binge on Triscuits ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:08 AM   #1024
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm currently showing around 73.5kg, but the first kg is easy. It's maintaining weight loss over the next seven weeks that will be the tricky bit.
Well, I'm now around 73kg, but for the past couple of weeks (and the next couple of weeks) there's a charity tuck shop at work, and the only way I've found to resist that is not to have any cash at work!

I have touched 72.5kg in the past week, but I reckon that was random variation. 73kg seems a more realistic estimate of my true weight just now. Downwards to 70kg (or a bit below).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #1025
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've reached 115kg this year, last year was more like 105kg. That's not good. So... I've removed sugar in all its forms and flavours from my diet, starting Monday this week (and not replacing it with sugar-free snacks either). Let's see if I can hold out until christmas (aaand resume afterwards).

Since the indoor bike is, like, super boring (even with the ebook reader mounted to it), I use it in a different way now... instead of leisurely pedalling 10km for half an hour, I do 1km in 2 minutes at top difficulty, several times a day. Doesn't sound like much but it gets heart and lungs going anyhow.

It might not help much but I don't want to see 125kg next year either.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #1026
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never been convinced that exercise was a good way to lose weight. It's a good way to increase strength and stamina, of course.

Alas, today was the office charity bake sale. A (large) slice of cake and two cup cakes were my contribution to funds. I just hope I don't have to take home any of the muffins and cup-cakes I baked and contributed.

Back to no snacking tomorrow!
Old 01-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #1027
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Well, here we are, 1st January.

A month of indulgence in snacks and sweets and food in general has led to my scales getting to 76.0kg this morning.

70kg by 1st April!

And yes, I do know I'm yo-yoing. But yo-yoing between 70kg and 76kg isn't too bad. And it's a pretty slow yo-yo.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #1028
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good luck, Paul! Roughly a pound a week, to put it in terms that make sense to me, is doable. Especially since it's easier for men to lose weight than women, in one of the great "life is unfair" situations.

I'm postponing my own dread moment of reckoning until Monday morning. I've got a holiday bash to go to today and I plan to eat. That gives me the weekend to lose the holiday weight, right?

Sigh. I'll be here with you starting Monday. Who else is ramping up to start their New Year's diets?

Last edited by issybird; 01-01-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #1029
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sigh ... I have detected a new bulge over my belt buckle ... so my New Year will include exercise AND less/no/some junk/comfort foods ....
Old 01-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #1030
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My New Year's resolution for 2015 was to significantly increase and maintain my level of exercise -- and I did it! I've been making regular use of our stationary bike (burned out the old one in the spring and bought a new one) and my weight machine in the basement. I didn't keep up with my walking, but I was happy, overall.

Unfortunately, I was so enthusiastic about exercise that I didn't keep on top of my diet, and gained about 10 pounds over the course of the year.

So, for 2016:

> Maintain/increase my indoor exercise
> Increase my walks (I actually enjoy these, but it's difficult scheduling the time)
> Get serious about sticking to a reasonable diet. Again.

I have also been experiencing significant insomnia since the end of 2014. I discovered last August that I can very effectively control it by scheduling an hour (or more) on the deck in the sunshine when I get up. I used to have tea and read a book in the living room, now I have tea and read a book on the deck. Unfortunately, we had very, very little sunshine in December. The "light effect" wears off after a few days. So, to the above list add:

> Continue sitting in the sun when possible
> Buy a therapeutic light for when there's no sun.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #1031
poohbear_nc
Now what?

You might try taking melatonin tablets before bedtime - esp. on days without sunlight.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #1032
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

This was my dread morning of reckoning. I lost seven pounds last fall to get down to my fightin' weight, but found three of them under the tree. Thanks, Santa!

It could have been worse. Time to get back to basics. The tough part is that a lot of my exercise is walking and it's just not appealing at this time of year. I leave the house and get home in the dark and it's going to be well below freezing all day today. At this time of year, all I really want to do is curl up on the couch with a book and chocolate and I don't even like chocolate that much. The good part, I suppose, is that I won't be putting a bathing suit on anytime soon, so I've got time. I want to lose the three I gained, plus a few insurance pounds would not be remiss.

Good luck to all of us!
Old 01-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #1033
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Too many cookies over the holidays has my pants fitting more snugly than I'd like them. So I have resolved to eat more fruit and veggies and plan weekly menus to avoid eating out. I also plan to lift more weights this year so bodyweight may be unreliable for measuring progress. I'm pondering what to use to maintain accountability. Mirror selfies? Caloric balance sheet?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #1034
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Too many cookies over the holidays has my pants fitting more snugly than I'd like them. So I have resolved to eat more fruit and veggies and plan weekly menus to avoid eating out. I also plan to lift more weights this year so bodyweight may be unreliable for measuring progress. I'm pondering what to use to maintain accountability. Mirror selfies? Caloric balance sheet?
Don't forget protein since you will be building muscle.
I like your idea of Mirror selfies. I don't think the balance sheet would help much.
I think I will join you in the meal planning.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #1035
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This was my dread morning of reckoning. I lost seven pounds last fall to get down to my fightin' weight, but found three of them under the tree. Thanks, Santa!

It could have been worse. Time to get back to basics. The tough part is that a lot of my exercise is walking and it's just not appealing at this time of year. I leave the house and get home in the dark and it's going to be well below freezing all day today. At this time of year, all I really want to do is curl up on the couch with a book and chocolate and I don't even like chocolate that much. The good part, I suppose, is that I won't be putting a bathing suit on anytime soon, so I've got time. I want to lose the three I gained, plus a few insurance pounds would not be remiss.

Good luck to all of us!
I've been using this when I read or watch TV:

http://www.amazon.com/MagneTrainer-E...+Leg+Exerciser

It's completely silent and smooth - no stress on knees - the cats hate it b/c they lose their lap time.

I also have a mini-stepper to use when I can't walk, similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=3407811

but I have terrible balance and tend to fall off of it.