Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Adobe DE 4 spies on users

Over at the Digital Reader Blog Nate reports:

Quote:

My source told me, and I can confirm, that Adobe is tracking users in the app and uploading the data to their servers. (Adobe was contacted in advance of publication, but declined to respond.)

And just to be clear, I have seen this happen, and I can also tell you that Benjamin Daniel Mussler, the security researcher who found the security hole on Amazon.com, has also tested this at my request and saw it with his own eyes.

Adobe is gathering data on the ebooks that have been opened, which pages were read, and in what order. All of this data, including the title, publisher, and other metadata for the book is being sent to Adobe’s server in clear text.

I am not joking; Adobe is not only logging what users are doing, they’re also sending those logs to their servers in such a way that anyone running one of the servers in between can listen in and know everything,

But wait, there’s more.

Adobe isn’t just tracking what users are doing in DE4; this app was also scanning my computer, gathering the metadata from all of the ebooks sitting on my hard disk, and uploading that data to Adobe’s servers.

In. Plain. Text.
More at the source:

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/1...comment-660086
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Reprehensible & loathsome.

It's gotten to the point where i expect this sort of behaviour from info technology & communications firms. But is no less reprehensible or loathsome for being the new norm.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Well, that's a disappointing level of stupidity.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Sadly, all this means is that Adobe will continue to spy on the content of your computer, but they'll send it over a secured and encrypted session.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Wasn't Adobe scanning a user's computer including Calibre brought up in 2011? I believe the member was told he was wrong. I vaguely remember reading something about it on here.

More than likely he was correct and Adobe has been doing this for years.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
Wasn't Adobe scanning a user's computer including Calibre brought up in 2011? I believe the member was told he was wrong. I vaguely remember reading something about it on here.

I will go find a copy of Adobe DE 2 and doubl echeck.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Good memory.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145284

Quote:

So what we have here is an inert ebook that exists in my system only in Calibre.

And is being tracked by Adobe Digital Editions.

Why?

charleski (#5 in the other thread) believes that ADE is syncing annotations. the.Mtn.Man (#2) suggests ADE "probably has to make a catalog of what's already on the reader [Kobo] in order to avoid conflicts when transferring new books."

What syncing? ADE crashed the first time I plugged in my Kobo, and has crashed every single time, whether it is running when Kobo is plugged in or I try to boot it when Kobo is already plugged in, and this is also the case when no other ebook app, including Calibre, is running. There is no working relationship whatsoever between ADE and my Kobo.

But I have to use ADE. It has an exclusive role in getting public library ebooks via Overdrive. ADE has an exclusive role in downloading a good number of ebook purchases. I have no choice to have it on my PC. But I won't use it for elibrary management and can't use it with my Kobo for any function. I use the ever-evolving and useful Calibre to run my elibrary.

I ask this forum: Why is ADE poking around in a desktop and tracking all titles in a Calibre library? Not just on my computer: yours. And yours.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Doesn't this beg the question if it is time to legislate around this? How many have contacted their congressman or senator?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I would be interested to find out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #10
linrey
linrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo libra H2O, Kobo Clara 2E, iPad Minis
Libraries should care about this!

My only use for ADE is for digital library books. As far as I know, it's the only way to check out e-books from my local library.

Libraries have always cared a great deal about keeping their patrons' reading habits PRIVATE, fighting legal battles to keep it so.

This should really tick them off.
linrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrey View Post
My only use for ADE is for digital library books. As far as I know, it's the only way to check out e-books from my local library.
Try this:

http://app.overdrive.com/

Overdrive Media Console works on its own without ADE.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrey View Post

Libraries have always cared a great deal about keeping their patrons' reading habits PRIVATE, fighting legal battles to keep it so.

This should really tick them off.
Yep. I raised this point in my post.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #13
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Try this:

http://app.overdrive.com/

Overdrive Media Console works on its own without ADE.
Sorry for my ignorance, but when you use this app, you have to use your Adobe ID. So wouldn't the authorization allow Adobe to scan your computer?

Last edited by mycurlylocks; 10-06-2014 at 09:46 PM.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
ADE2 sends some data but it's small enough that it could just be necessary authorizations. It's also obfuscated in such a way that I don't see any useful info.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry for my ignorance, but when you use this app, you have to use your Adobe ID. So wouldn't the authorization allow Adobe to scan your computer?
If you don't have an Adobe ID you can create one with an older version and then delete it. Or create it on a library PC.

Once you have the ID you can use just Overdrive.