Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Not in my Kobo - but in a couple other small electronics items I have: They refuse to charge properly with "other" USB charging systems. Like my Verizon MiFI - Use a car cord USB cable charger, and it flat out refuses to charge. But use its included 300mAH AC-to-USB cord, and all is well. I was under the impression that the Li-Ion pack's built-in regulation circuitry was "kicking in" and not recognizing the higher current system.

So this is incorrect thinking?
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #17
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
Not in my Kobo - but in a couple other small electronics items I have: They refuse to charge properly with "other" USB charging systems. Like my Verizon MiFI - Use a car cord USB cable charger, and it flat out refuses to charge. But use its included 300mAH AC-to-USB cord, and all is well. I was under the impression that the Li-Ion pack's built-in regulation circuitry was "kicking in" and not recognizing the higher current system.

I'm sure that mobos do strange things for usb adapters. Some of them
cannot charge the device, except on usb on the back of the case. Those
on the front simply fail. Try out usb post on the back and report if
works.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #18
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:

Yup. Hard to say, but I suspect the car USB charger is outputting incorrect voltage (some of them are really bad), or it can't deliver the required 300mA.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #19
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Yup. Hard to say, but I suspect the car USB charger is outputting incorrect voltage (some of them are really bad), or it can't deliver the required 300mA.
Or it delivers it, but not stable. If has ups and downs, here comes
the problem.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #20
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Awesome info - thanks!
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #21
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
but in a couple other small electronics items I have: They refuse to charge properly with "other" USB charging systems.
Ahh, yes. The Sony Readers are like that. They will charge if plugged in to a computer's USB port, but not in a USB charger. How, why? I don't know, but is a real PITA. I ended up buying a PlayStationPortable charger just for the PRS505.

But barring stupid manufacturer's games, any well-regulated (name-brand) charger with enough output will do the job.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #22
KjellM
Connoisseur
KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Glo HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Not in my Kobo - but in a couple other small electronics items I have: They refuse to charge properly with "other" USB charging systems.
The problem is that some electronics want a response over the USB digital path to set their charge current level - the USB controller in a computer can tell a unit how much current is available, or the unit can tell the computer how much current it needs. There are some AC-to-USB chargers that have a chip in them that will do the basic dialog with the unit so it will charge.
KjellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #23
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by KjellM View Post
The problem is that some electronics want a response over the USB digital path to set their charge current level - the USB controller in a computer can tell a unit how much current is available, or the unit can tell the computer how much current it needs. There are some AC-to-USB chargers that have a chip in them that will do the basic dialog with the unit so it will charge.
How this one looks regarding that:

http://www.elive.co.nz/logitech-939-...bhub-p2050.php
Old 08-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #24
SageTracey
Enthusiast
SageTracey began at the beginning.

I just use the USB charger we bought for our houseful of iPod/iPhone/iPads and it works fine for my Kobo. Actually, it works better than fine....my Kobo often freezes after I connect and disconnect properly from my PC, a problem that NEVER occurs when I use the USB charger.

Now...if there was just a way to download my books via the electrical circuits.....
SageTracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #25
goinveg
Enthusiast
goinveg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Entourage eDGe DualBook
I bought the Gizmo Dorks set through Amazon. The wall-USB charger works well but the car-USB charger quits after about 30 seconds. Thry are both labeled 1000mAh and both have red light to show functioning.
goinveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #26
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Found this today at the Source --> 4 PORT USB TRAVEL ADAPTER
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...roduct=2738616

On sale for $15
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote