Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 07:28 AM   #31
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
Then you may never have heard about Noreve. They are well known for making excellent, outstanding cases for nearly everything and like i expected their iPad case is (again) one of the best.

http://www.noreve.com/brand/Apple/pr...Tradition.html
Looks elegant and their colours look awesome - but wouldn't the magnets be a problem with the compass, GPS etc?
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:32 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why don't they show us a shot of the case from the back?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 AM   #33
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
Then you may never have heard about Noreve. They are well known for making excellent, outstanding cases for nearly everything and like i expected their iPad case is (again) one of the best.

http://www.noreve.com/brand/Apple/pr...Tradition.html
I've got the Noreve cover for Cybook Opus. Excellent quality, very robust and protective.
But: It's very bulky. Advantage of the Apple cover is, that it doesn't bulk up. I'm checking for alternatives of similar size, adding as little as possible to iPad's measurements.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #34
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do like the Apple case and so far, I have no seen/read/heard of one that's actually better.
Hi Jon, are you planning on an iPad?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:43 AM   #35
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
I have the Apple case and am pleased with it. But, I did read some good reviews on the InTech case as well.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #36
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Hi there, new ipad owner here. I am reposting this from my other thread at someone's suggestion

I have a case I received from the very kind folks at M-Edge, and I don't like it. It has a tab for standing up the iPad, and I am never sure where to put it if I don't plan to stand the ipad up. Plus it's heavy and the ipad is heavy enough as it is. So far I have been preferring to use it 'naked.'

I am at work right now and just tried the standard netbook sleeve that is like this one (two puffy halves with a zipper around the middle. It fits, albeit a little loosely. But I am worried because it was designed for something which closes like a clamshell and the iPad is open.

Otoh the official Apple case does not look like it offers much in the way of protection either. The front side looks a little flimsy. Perhaps this basic sleeve case I already have is good enough for getting it to and from work in a messenger bag. What to do, what to do I have already spent a fair chunk of money on this, so I am averse to spending much more. But if the case I have is not suitable, I want to find one to protect my iPad too.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #37
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
actually the apple case is pretty good scratch protection. it's not going to protect from a 5' fall onto concrete, but neither will most other cases. the front (and all) of it is a rubberized material that has an excellent grip surface. the front has some stiff plastic sandwitched in it as well to protect against front impacts when it is closed, but still folds back into an easel position in landscape. it's thin and light and offers good protection when i'm carrying it around in my timbuk2 saddlebag with my laptop and other things. i don't need it to provide drop protection, just keep it from getting dinged in the bag.

the only case i'd consider swapping it out for is the Dodo case, if I had seen this one before I picked up the Apple one I would be using it now instead.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #38
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Hi there, new ipad owner here. I am reposting this from my other thread at someone's suggestion

I have a case I received from the very kind folks at M-Edge, and I don't like it. It has a tab for standing up the iPad, and I am never sure where to put it if I don't plan to stand the ipad up. Plus it's heavy and the ipad is heavy enough as it is. So far I have been preferring to use it 'naked.'

I am at work right now and just tried the standard netbook sleeve that is like this one (two puffy halves with a zipper around the middle. It fits, albeit a little loosely. But I am worried because it was designed for something which closes like a clamshell and the iPad is open.

Otoh the official Apple case does not look like it offers much in the way of protection either. The front side looks a little flimsy. Perhaps this basic sleeve case I already have is good enough for getting it to and from work in a messenger bag. What to do, what to do I have already spent a fair chunk of money on this, so I am averse to spending much more. But if the case I have is not suitable, I want to find one to protect my iPad too.
I have the apple case and am very happy with it it will imo provide plent of protection when in a bag, like you say the only thing is it doesnt fasten as such, so maybe drop the iPad with apple case in a generic thin material bag.

Im thinking of making one of these at the weekend T-Shirt bag!-

some guides on internet just do a search
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #39
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
You could always use a little extra packing or craft foam to provide a better fit for the iPad in the sleeve case you already have. Additional covers are reaching the market every week or so, it seems, and eventually the right one will probably come along for you.

My husband also has the M-Edge, and he loves it. Like you, I found it too heavy and didn't like the tab--I use my iPad alone about 1/3 of the time, and in a MacAlly Bookstand cover the other 2/3. The MacAlly is great from a functional perspective WRT positioning in both upright "frame" and typing positions; however, as far as protection goes, I doubt it adds much. It does have a front screen cover to help protect against impacts, but there's virtually no padding, so any increase in protection is probably negligible. For me though, it's perfect--almost no increase in weight, and the iPad is carried around in its own pocket in a messenger bag anyway (along with the Kindle and the wireless Apple keyboard), so the minimal protection the MacAlly lends is fine. Being able to use the angled typing position was the real reason I wanted a cover at all, otherwise, just a sleeve would have been fine.

But to be fair, I also bought the SquareTrade warranty, just as I did with the Kindle. If the iPad doesn't survive a bad fall, it's covered. It's well worth the extra $100 for two years of peace of mind against my own klutzy ways! I do take ordinary precautions with it, but the SQ coverage means I don't feel like I need to take extraordinary ones.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #40
slh17
Ardent beginner
slh17 doesn't litterslh17 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 700
Well, I just got the apple case and it's going back. Combination of the low-quality feel overall and the sharp edges, particularly on the right hand side. I do like the stand part, though Would rather use the iPad on it's own until I fine my dream case. Still working through the recommendations here.
slh17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #41
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
So do you think the net book case, being overlarge a little and, while thoroughly padded, squishy more than firm, will be a danger to it? As I said it is pretty much just to transport it around with me as I use the iPad naked...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #42
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
So do you think the net book case, being overlarge a little and, while thoroughly padded, squishy more than firm, will be a danger to it? As I said it is pretty much just to transport it around with me as I use the iPad naked...
I don't really think it's in any "danger" in an oversized sleeve. But as it shifts about in there, it's easy to see where buttons could be bumped. That sort of thing shouldn't matter too much, but it's a bit of a nuisance. I also tend to think from a protective standpoint, a case should be a bit firm as well as padded--the semi rigid cover/case front and back help spread any impacts towards the edges of the screen, and padding helps to absorb the energy of the impact. That really works best if you're dealing with a snugly fit case though.

On the other hand, my 1st gen iPhone has no screen issues at all, not even a scratch, and it has no protection on the front screen. None. I routinely toss it into a purse loose with other objects, and it's been a non issue. My husband carried his iPad around in a non padded sleeve in another non padded bag for weeks without a problem. These things are built to be carried around and used. I don't know about you, but the iPad just plain FEELS less fragile than my Kindle does--maybe it's the lack of plastic?
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Hi Jon, are you planning on an iPad?
I'm thinking about it. But, I am also waiting to see what else comes out this summer.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The Dodo case does look quite nice. But, it looks a bit heavy.

The Apple case give good protection and is not heavy.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #45
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
the dodo case might be heavier, but it is also made of wood and leather, and would offer more protection than the apple case... plus it does look a lot classier, but not tech if you like that look.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote