Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
lauranguyen
lauranguyen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Warranty for a Sony prs600 bought overseas

Hi,

I want a Sony prs 600 so badly, but I could not get one in Finland. After searching, finally i decide to order one from http://www.bhphotovideo.com.

Price is fine for me, but one thing I worry about, is the warranty. I saw this from the product details: 90-Days Labor & 1-Year Parts Limited Warranty. Anyone has experience pls help me to specify. I dont understand what will it cover (sorry for this stupid question)

In case there are problems, should I contact with bhphotovideo.com or Sony center in Finland? I dont have experience with online shopping so...

Thanks in advance.

Rgs,

Laura
lauranguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I'm not sure if you've read this yet, but here is a copy of the Limited warranty for Digital Book Reader. (PDF)

I'm not sure how the warranty is handled outside of the US and Canada, or if it is even valid. Some of our other members should know.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
In my experience warrenties are usually only valid in the country they were issued.

I've never been sure how that applies to grey market imports. (Like japanese consoles sold in shops in the UK)
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i got my 600 from b&h as well (a friend brought it back for me from new york) and when i called the shop to be sure they had them in stock they guy told me they offer an insurance plan (i beleive it was 20-something $ for 1 year, or they have a 2-year option as well for a bit more, i forget exactly) and the insurance is international and covers all accidents (he gave me the examples of dropping it in the subway or spilling coffee on it). if you are a bit worried (and i can understand you might be) it could be a good solution for you. however, you might have to ship it back to them in case you need the insurance.

you could also check whether you can get coverage from your home insurance or through your credit card, apparently this is common.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 09-22-2009 at 11:50 AM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Another little bit of info from Sonystyle.com

What is the Manufacturer's Limited Warranty?

Quote:
Sony warrants every product against defects in material or workmanship for a limited time. Duration of warranty coverage varies by product type.

If your product requires warranty service, you must contact Sony for instructions. For most products, you are responsible for delivering the product, freight prepaid, to Sony or a Sony Authorized Servicer. During the Limited Warranty period, Sony will, at its option repair or replace your product with new or refurbished parts or products.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sony Europe won't touch a Reader that's been bought in the US. If it does go wrong, you'll need to send it to Sony in the US for repair, and pay for them to return it to you. If you'd bought one anywhere in Europe, Sony would have repaired it for you in your own country.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
The guys at B&H are real techno experts and if they offer a warrenty that's within your price range I would do it without any worries.

Hughdal
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Although I live in the US, I am whole heartedly comfortable with B&H; I've done all my electronic shopping with them for a number of years. I feel you can trust what you've been told by their staff.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Hi, Laura.

I don't know all the details, but I think that if you buy some item in a country in the European Union, I think that, legally, the warranty covers the item in all the European Union.

For example: here in Spain, Sony does not offer the Sony Reader. But I think that if you buy one in the UK, you bring it back to Spain and you have any problem, Sony Spain has to send the device to the UK to be fixed.

Besides, I think in the European Union they have to give you a full year warranty.

You have to confirm these things, but maybe you can consider buying the reader to some UK ebay seller.

Regards,

L.

BTW: I bought a PRS-505 from B&H Photovideo more than a year ago and they gave me a perfect service!!
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:21 AM   #10
lauranguyen
lauranguyen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

Thank you all guys for your information and advice you gave.

I finally have decided to order from B&H and also i would consider the international insurance package.

I hope everything will be fine to me.

Great regards,

Laura
lauranguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:41 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroide View Post
Hi, Laura.

I don't know all the details, but I think that if you buy some item in a country in the European Union, I think that, legally, the warranty covers the item in all the European Union.

For example: here in Spain, Sony does not offer the Sony Reader. But I think that if you buy one in the UK, you bring it back to Spain and you have any problem, Sony Spain has to send the device to the UK to be fixed.
That's absolutely right. If you live in the EU, and buy a Sony Reader from ANY country in the EU, you will be covered by the European warranty, even if the device is not officially sold in your country.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote