Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-01-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
FB2 Output for Calibre

Firstly let me say that all of us e-Readers should be extremely grateful to developers like Kovid Goyal for providing high quality eBook tools that make our lives easier, such as Calibre.

I'm not a Sony owner, and I know the roots of Calibre development started with the need to support conversion to and management of Sony format eBooks. But the tool has obviously expanded a lot since the early days, and now supports Mobi and ePub outputs as well as Sony LRF.

I was wondering if there would be any chance of having the FB2 (FictionBook) format added at some stage to the possible choice of outputs. There are a lot of us out there that use this format, but only a limited number of tools. And whilst tools like BookDesigner are excellent, they are only Windows-based.

Since Calibre is already well developed for Mac OS X and Linux, inclusion of an FB2 format output would provide a great option for non-Windows users. And FB2 is a great format - I've been using it since my Pocket PC days with Haali Reader (before eInk). It's XML-based, and therefore easy to use and process. I also prefer the reader implementations available for devices (such as FBReader and CoolReader for eInk devices, and Stanza for iPhone, etc.).

I would encourage other FB2 fans to join me in supporting this request, and if enough of us come out of the closet then maybe our request will get considered. And of course, any developers interested in assisting Kovid with implementing this option would probably be appreciated (I'd love to do it myself but fear I'm just not a software guru!).

Thanks for hearing me out. Cheers.
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Adding new output formats to calibre is now very easy, as I've completely modularized the code. However, I have a lot of other things on my plate, so some one else is going to have to do this and submit a patch, which I will be happy to include into calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I've added fb2 output for the upcoming 0.6 release.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:50 AM   #4
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
I've added fb2 output for the upcoming 0.6 release.
You are a champion!

I was building up the strength to start installing the development tools and trying to teach myself how to build an FB2 module based on the FB2 XML Schema, secretly procrastinating and hoping someone would come to the rescue. Thank you so much - I can't wait to try it out.

Cheers!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:11 AM   #5
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
@orwell2k: Haha, me too. :-)

Thanks, user_none!
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
informale
informale doesn't litterinformale doesn't litterinformale doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Netronix EB600
Can't wait for that feature!
I own an eBook only capable of viewing FB2 and PDF/DJVU. It's a paint to convert my epubs and prcs into html and then compile an fb2-file.
informale is offline   Reply With Quote