Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Yes, but it is a font related bug. It should not crash because the font is different.
Agreed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #17
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
I often read books in a series...and there is no way to determine which books to read in which order. I would like a way to mark a sequence number on them,
This isn't as easy a solution as you want, but I keep a TXT file on my computer which shows series books, and what order they come in. I download this text file to my Kindle, and when I finish a book, I just open this file to see what to buy (or read) next.

Also -- and again, this isn't overly simple -- but the mobiperl tools will allow you to prepend something (NN- for instance) to a file's title. So one *can* do what you've asked, but not with built in Kindle tools.
badgoodDeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #18
Choisya
Choisya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle in UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't do it. The machine will work, but you won't be able to buy any books from Amazon (without jumping through a lot of hoops) and you'll effectively be buying it with no warranty.

Have you considered the CyBook as an alternative?
Someone on another Forum here suggested buying from Amazon.com via Paypal Mastercard - would that be OK? I am also considering getting a friend in the US to buy it for me then I would have a warranty. By hook or by crook!

No I haven't looked at Cybook but will do so not. Thanks a lot!
Choisya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #19
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
This isn't as easy a solution as you want, but I keep a TXT file on my computer which shows series books, and what order they come in. I download this text file to my Kindle, and when I finish a book, I just open this file to see what to buy (or read) next.
Yeah, I do this too, but I create the file as a pdf and then actually publish it as a book using Mobipocket Creator...this lets me add metadata, and I use the author's name so the file sorts right at the top of the series books.

It's a lot of messing around to do, though, to provide functionality that should be there (IMHO). Editing metadata on the Kindle itself is something I think needs to be added so that everyone can ensure their collection sorts as they want it.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #20
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
I often read books in a series...and there is no way to determine which books to read in which order. I would like a way to mark a sequence number on them, or even better, when I finish a book, I'd like to be able to tell the Kindle to go get the next one in the series.
An excellent suggestion. But my main complaint is that when I go to the Kindle store and see a very interesting book & discover that it is 3rd in a series ... The first two books aren't available in Kindle format. At that point, Amazon has lost 3 sales. I'm not going to go out & find the first two books in paper so that I can then get the third for my Kindle.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've suggested these to Amazon directly...

I often read books in a series...and there is no way to determine which books to read in which order. I would like a way to mark a sequence number on them, or even better, when I finish a book, I'd like to be able to tell the Kindle to go get the next one in the series. The Amazon website does show series lists, but the Kindle storefront does not.
For series, I use collections and put the books in reading order. It works very well actually. Next best thing to folders and in terms of hor them menus work, I can't see how it could work any better if the Sony had real folders.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:09 AM   #22
Choisya
Choisya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Cybooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't do it. The machine will work, but you won't be able to buy any books from Amazon (without jumping through a lot of hoops) and you'll effectively be buying it with no warranty.

Have you considered the CyBook as an alternative?

I have looked at the Cybook website and find that they too only ship to US and Canada! What's with these US companies who don't want to sell these book devices to the UK where there must be a huge market?!!

I am tempted to buy a Kindle via a US friend and just use other e-book sites for downloads. My friend would then hold the warranty for me.
Choisya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:25 AM   #23
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Um what? Bookeen is based in France and they definitely ship to UK.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:56 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choisya View Post
I have looked at the Cybook website and find that they too only ship to US and Canada! What's with these US companies who don't want to sell these book devices to the UK where there must be a huge market?!!
No, you're mistaken; Bookeen are a French company and ship world-wide. I bought my CyBook directly from them.

See:

http://www.bookeen.com

The price is £245 + shipping.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 AM   #25
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choisya View Post
When you go to the booken site and go to their online shop you have to select your country at the top of the page. They most definitely ship to your country.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #26
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Back to the wish list, here's few of mine:

Software:

*Folders
*Ability to tag errors
*Ability to narrow search to the current book
*Ability to highlight a phrase or term and put it straight into a wiki or google search
*Better power management. You should be able to have power settings that intelligently disable the wireless until you use a feature that requires it. Kindle is not a phone. I don't need to receive calls. I may want it on to receive periodical content but there could be a scheduler for that or I could choose to have it on all the time if I wanted. Fortunately I noticed Lab126 had a job opening for a power management engineer.

Hardware:

*Darker case color, maybe a bit less clunky form
*Power and wireless switches on the top instead of the back
*Integrated Lightwedge-style front light
*Of course a bigger, better, faster screen would be lovely but that's out of Amazon's hands
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #27
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Back to the wish list, here's few of mine:
Thanks for getting this thread back on the trail Alisa! I'll try to work this stuff in...
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #28
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
*Darker case color, maybe a bit less clunky form
I second this one. Ideally, the case would be a color close to the background color on the screen. The bright white/cream color of the case actually emphasizes the fact that there's not as much contrast between the black text and the grey background as I would want.
Quote:
*Power and wireless switches on the top instead of the back
*Integrated Lightwedge-style front light
Both of these would make the Kindle more user-friendly. I'd add to this a suggestion that Amazon leave me *some* of the side real-estate where I can hold the device without hitting a button or two.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:17 AM   #29
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Here's another one...when you download an ebook, I wish Amamzon would also send the thumbnail description that convinced you to buy it. I have a Kindle full of books I know I want to read, but in many cases I can't remember what it was that caught my eye, and if I select the book all I see is Page 1.

Paper books have a brief description of the book either inside the front cover or on the back. I can pick up a paper book and remind myself what it's about. I would love to be able to hover my cursor over a book in my Kindle list and read the thumbnail description.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #30
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I've just started using the Kindle while I'm on the elliptical machine. I wish I didn't have to keep reaching over to change the page. I would love to have some kind of remote that I could wear on my index finger with just a "next" or "prev" page button that I could activate with my thumb. It could be some kind of bluetooth thing.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote