Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
seasong
seasong began at the beginning.

Device: none
Want to make audio book vodcasts

Hi out there
I am planing to make some audio book vodcasts ( Audio books with pictures)
The question is: What video format is the best? Is there a videoformat that just about every modern mobile phone can read?

Best regards
seasong
seasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'd probably go with mp4 or AVI.

I'm not too keen on video for books though (I'm better off with plain audio books or podcasts).
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Make an app.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An MPEG4 or AVI version of an audio book, just for the sake of having a few pictures, would be GB in size. How do you plan to distribute this?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
I'd probably go with mp4 or AVI.
There are a number of variants of both mp4 and AVI, many of which are not well supported. You need to use variants (combinations of video and audio codecs) that are.

Currently, HTML5 supports three:
  • MP4 = MPEG 4 files with H264 video codec and AAC audio codec
  • WebM = WebM files with VP8 video codec and Vorbis audio codec
  • Ogg = Ogg files with Theora video codec and Vorbis audio codec

No current browser supports all three and no one is supported by all browsers. Depending on the vodcast will be distributed, it may be necessary to have more than one format.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
seasong
seasong began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for helpful replies.
A little more about the audio book. The book wil be like I said like an audio book, but with the help of some pictures ( More like a slide show) For Eksample: ( To "ilustrate" the idea) If I make an audio book about Michelangelo, then there could be a portrait of Michelangelo when I spoke about hes life and personality. Then if I told the story about one og the sculptures he made, then the picture would "shift" and show the sculpture. If there was a spesial detail on the sculpture that was of spesial interest and an interesting part of the story, then I will zoom in on the detail, and so on. I will try to use as few pictures as possible, and every picture must suport the story in a bether way than words alone.
The plan was to distribute the "book" on itunes, but since I am in the beginners stage, I am listening to all tips and adwice from every one of you out there.

Best regards
season

Last edited by seasong; 06-28-2012 at 01:13 PM.
seasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I honestly find all of this unnecessary.

Probably the best solution is an App, but that requires 1) coding knowledge (depending on whether it's for Android or iOS), 2) limiting yourself to a specific marketplace, and 3) is a slightly different demographic for eBook (ePub, Mobi) readers.

I still think MP4 is the most-supported format among popular devices (but yes, not all devices), but dwig is right about the codecs.

And again, the problem of how to distribute it (if it's not an App) and be aware that the file size and format might be a hindrance to users.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:25 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
And again, the problem of how to distribute it (if it's not an App) and be aware that the file size and format might be a hindrance to users.
File size will most assuredly be an issue. Audio requires about 40MB/hour; video at least 10x that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #9
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
The new CS6 version of InDesign has the ability to export apps for all devices. So if you have been using it to make e-books you can add video and audio and make an app.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote