Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #511
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
After getting annoyed at every cover I've bought I decided to fork over for the Gecko. Here's what it does right compared to the others:
Below is a link to their site in case others are interested.

https://www.geckocovers.com

My Moko cover is breaking down a bit after a year of use, but I'm not sure I want to shell out ~ $45 USD for the Gecko.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:03 PM   #512
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
My Moko cover is breaking down a bit after a year of use, but I'm not sure I want to shell out ~ $45 USD for the Gecko.
That's about right given shipping to the continental US. I actually ordered two covers. You know, just in case, save a bit on shipping, etc. Totally not because I have an Aura One and an Aura One LE. No siree, Bob . Total came to $82.66 USD at the contemporary Euro exchange rate. Then again, the official cover from Kobo lists $49 so the Gecko still costs less for what is, so far, a superior cover.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2018, 07:12 PM   #513
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
After getting annoyed at every cover I've bought I decided to fork over for the Gecko. Here's what it does right compared to the others:

Official Sleep Cover: The cover fits squarely over the screen (the Kobo cover is a few mm offset down for some reason). Sleep/wake function seems to be more reliable without the phantom touches I sometimes (still) get with the Kobo. Exposed power button.

kwmobile: Everything. Better fit, better closures, better quality (so far).

Moko: Better fit (the Moko wouldn't close). Better quality (plastic seems to be a little less brittle).
http://www.geckocovers.com/deluxe-co...ight-blue.html

That's the cover I bought off of Amazon.com and well, I had to return it. It did not close because the magnets were misaligned. I did not get another. I got a kwimobile cover that I do like. The kwimobile fits very well. It closes just fine. The Gecko is noticeably heavier. If it had worked, I would have kept it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:22 AM   #514
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I just got my KA1 and a gorgeous handmade slipcase from Lithuania.

The photos are for an ipad, but the seller custom measures for numerous devices. I have small, arthritic hands, and I prefer to read without a case at all. I don't need a sleep case because the power button is so much more user-friendly than previous Kobo models.
FYI for anyone who cares - its nearly a year later and I am still using this cover daily. It looks as good as the day I took it out of the package.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:02 PM   #515
DaMoo
-
DaMoo began at the beginning.

Device: KA1
Quote:
FYI for anyone who cares - its nearly a year later and I am still using this cover daily. It looks as good as the day I took it out of the package.

I really like the look of this case, it’s similar to one I have for my iPad. However my iPad case uses a magnetic leather strap to cover the sleeve, and this one uses metal snaps. I’m worried that the pressure you need to close the snaps would put stress on the screen of the KA1. How do you handle that?
DaMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #516
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMoo View Post
I really like the look of this case, it’s similar to one I have for my iPad. However my iPad case uses a magnetic leather strap to cover the sleeve, and this one uses metal snaps. I’m worried that the pressure you need to close the snaps would put stress on the screen of the KA1. How do you handle that?
I slide it in with the screen facing away from the snaps. And I don't feel like I am placing that much pressure on it at any rate.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #517
DaMoo
-
DaMoo began at the beginning.

Quote:
I slide it in with the screen facing away from the snaps. And I don't feel like I am placing that much pressure on it at any rate.
Thanks for letting me know and for the recommendation. I went ahead and bought the all dark felt version of the case. Looking forward to getting it in the coming weeks.
DaMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:12 AM   #518
catonroof
catonroof began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900, iPad Mini, Kobo Aura One
Sorry if I'll be repeating anyone on the thread, just didn't follow 35 pages of it. )

I like my reader cases as slim as possible, with a wake/sleep feature and folding.
For me, a folding option is very important. By folding, I mean that the cover folds to a vertical stand, not that you have to turn the device sideways.

All those features I found in the original KOBO case and after 1.5 years of use, I haven't found any better. Unfortunately, it is black.
catonroof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:51 AM   #519
Crca
Crca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Discounted original kobo cover

Hi there, I know this thread is about 3p covers, but I've found a 30% off deal for the original Kobo cover. My question is: would you buy it for that price, or it is still causing phantom touches/sleep mode issues/battery drain?

Thanks
Crca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #520
Pulpwood
Make my Day
Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, KA1 LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since you already have an account there, can you ask if she'll make sleep covers? There's no way I'd buy a cover for a Kobo Reader that was not a sleep cover. A sleep cover saves wear and tear on the power button.
This sounds to be good logic. However, the device cannot be awakened from sleep with the case power button while a magnet is in the sleep mode location. If the magnetic switch were to fail in the sleep position, the device would not function.

Do you or anyone else know of the actual magnetic switch composition. Does it have contacts that are swayed by magnetic fields, spring loaded? Just pondering this after assuming the same thing JSWolf posted. I have experienced on several types of devices the mechanical power button wearing to the failure point.
Pulpwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #521
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Reed switch
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_switch
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #522
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpwood View Post
This sounds to be good logic. However, the device cannot be awakened from sleep with the case power button while a magnet is in the sleep mode location. If the magnetic switch were to fail in the sleep position, the device would not function.

Do you or anyone else know of the actual magnetic switch composition. Does it have contacts that are swayed by magnetic fields, spring loaded? Just pondering this after assuming the same thing JSWolf posted. I have experienced on several types of devices the mechanical power button wearing to the failure point.
No reed switch involved so no mechanical contacts. Check Hall effect sensor.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #523
Pulpwood
Make my Day
Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, KA1 LE
Very interesting to see the last two posts and follow their links. Thanks for posting @filmo and @DNSB. Learned something new. Which is in the Kobo e-readers? If either, or some other, is in fact the device used in the Kobos please cite the evidence.
Pulpwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #524
RJAJ
RJAJ began at the beginning.

I may have asked this before but would anybody know of a KA1 case that has a holding area like the Kindle Oasis? That would make for a comfortable reading. Thanks.
RJAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:43 PM   #525
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
I just bought the MoKo ultra compact case from Amazon UK, and can report that there are 2 concealed magnets - one half way up the side to hold the flap closed, and one correctly positioned above the KA1's sleep/wake sensor.
This is the one I’ve been looking for! I like Moko’s covers, but they’ve disappeared from the US amazon store. The one you list doesn’t ship to the US. Moko’s own website doesn’t list Kobo cases like this anymore. Can anybody recommend a vendor other than Amazon where I can buy this case? Thanks.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote