Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2016, 03:32 AM   #361
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
https://teleread.org/2016/08/30/in-d...e-order-day-1/

For once an American reviewer with a balanced view between Kobos and Kindles.
Now, that's one of the few honest reviewers I've read. Especially a sentence like this:

Quote:
Don’t be put off, necessarily, by the number of negatives I’ve listed. What annoys other people may not bother you.
I really liked this review.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:44 AM   #362
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Teleread review only has 9 possible negatives and not 10. Not having buttons is not a negative. It's what is. So you would know this going in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2016, 04:48 AM   #363
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Teleread review only has 9 possible negatives and not 10. Not having buttons is not a negative. It's what is. So you would know this going in.
It is a negative. For this reviewer. Read what I quoted. For me, it's also a negative. Does that mean I won't get it? No, because I can live without it. Would I prefer one that has buttons: absolutely.

A negative point doesn't mean it's bad. It means it doesn't tick all your boxes. Only you can decide how much it'll influence your buying choices.

For me, of those negatives he mentioned, only points 2, 5 and 10 are negatives for me.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:01 AM   #364
Akerbos
Akerbos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Hey there Kobo: couldn't you at lest SELL us good dictionaries?
Phaw. They should be consistent with their (relative) openness and allow us sideload dictionaries. There are standard formats, and free ones available.

Seriously: when I got an ereader for the first time, I was excited thinking it would help me learn Swedish better, what with built-in dictionaries and all. Of course, Swedish isn't in there by default. Not being able to get it in there sucks.

Okay, there seems to be a way to replace the pre-installed dictionaries, but even if that still works it's a hack at best.
Akerbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:22 AM   #365
Akerbos
Akerbos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
I've solved it with the Voyage by gluing something on the back cover, but it's not something that should have to be done.
Lucky for you, sleep covers use physics, not magic.

Use something iron to figure out where in your sleep cover the magnet is. Touch a not too strong fridge magnet to the device in the corresponding place. Happiness ensues.

I just confirmed with by Aura HD that this works; the sweet spot is at the bottom-right corner of the screen. The most worn-out magnet didn't do the trick, so you may want/have to work your way up in strength.

So, wrapping a small magnet in a piece of cloth gives you a tool you can easily keep handy in bed. (I just hope you don't wear a pacemaker. :P)
Akerbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #366
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akerbos View Post
Lucky for you, sleep covers use physics, not magic.

Use something iron to figure out where in your sleep cover the magnet is. Touch a not too strong fridge magnet to the device in the corresponding place. Happiness ensues.

I just confirmed with by Aura HD that this works; the sweet spot is at the bottom-right corner of the screen. The most worn-out magnet didn't do the trick, so you may want/have to work your way up in strength.

So, wrapping a small magnet in a piece of cloth gives you a tool you can easily keep handy in bed. (I just hope you don't wear a pacemaker. :P)
LOL Thanks for the suggestion but I did try that, even bought the nice magnet. What I ended up with is easier.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:31 AM   #367
beachboybogart
Connoisseur
beachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura, and older devices lounging in my bookcase.
Some of the negatives in that review are more related to the state of the technology of eInk. Changing fonts and sizes is not smooth, he says... but the device doesn't use a computer-type video display and driver, so it is actually the limitations of eInk that cause that jerkiness, I believe.

In any case, I am getting it because of the screen size; the original Aura shows much more like the real size of a paperback page; far less turning involved. I think this will be even better. Sometimes when reading you need to quickly go back a para or two to re-establish your place, so the more the merrier. Although Stephen King once said 'if you have to reread a sentence to get it, the author didn't do his job', some stories will make me daydream for a second...
beachboybogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:35 PM   #368
Raymond73
Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Aura H2O, Tolino Vision 3HD, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura ONE
I updated my (review)copy of the Aura ONE this evening and new firmware (4.0.7523) showed up. No changelog nor can i find any differences. Yet
Raymond73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #369
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
I do wish the manual pdf was available from their website. My experiences with buying Sony or Fuji (digital cameras) is that once they are available the pdf's manuals are as
well.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:26 AM   #370
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Just checked the German Kobo site to see if I can preorder and it said:

"No shipping costs on all e-readers. Offer ends Sept 5th."

That's cheeky! As if they weren't expensive enough to ship for free to start with. I bought my Aura in a store and will do so with the Aura One now, too.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:48 PM   #371
wizardyhnr
wizardyhnr began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one
the chip looks like sdin5d2-8g, which is a mlc nand with decent controller. I would expect it will last much longer than most crappy 64GB TLC sd card nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Immortal View Post
chrisridd,
Look at this. Sandisk chip - 8 GB eMMC as I get it.

frostschutz, thank you!

Sadly
wizardyhnr is offline   Reply With Quote