Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Authors and readers unite! Let's solve the problem together...

One of the Telerad editors just wrote to let me know that my recent post on Teleread about the reader response to, among other things, the MacMillan issue, was the fourth most commented on article they've ever put up! A follow-up will be going up tomorrow addressing a few of the comments but I want to spread the word as widely as possible because I think that we have all aired our POV at this point, and the time has come to move beyond 'explaining' and into 'solving' and I really think authors and readers need to work together on this. Readers have tried for so long to get their voices heard, and it just isn't happening. We need the author's help, and they need our business, so why not join forces?

I think these are the main issues readers have identified:

- We need a business model that allows readers to buy books without restrictions due to the store they shop at or the country in which they live

- We need to move away from any DRM system that restricts the reader as to which device they can use and which features of that device they can access

- We need a shift in pricing so that authors can make a fair profit from new releases without gouging customers with higher-than-print ebook prices for decade-old books

- We need a commitment from publishers to ensure that ebook releases are free from copy-editing and conversion errors---and a mechanism for readers to submit problem books for correction

Authors have blogged---here and elsewhere---about WHY these problems exist. We know that already. And we know that readers are unhappy. So, no more explaining. Let's talk about SOLVING.

- Who actually has the power to solve some of these issues? What is the best way to contact them and what should we say to ensure they take us seriously?

- Are there any author groups or reader groups under whom we can band together and mobilize some sort of campaign? Which groups? How can we get that going? Whom should we contact in publishing to let them know we have done so and share our concerns?

- Petitions. Best way to organize? Who to send them to? What they should demand?

- Media attention. Will it help? From which venues? What would attract the most attention?

- Alternative campaigns. Several authors stated the 1-star reviews made ebook fans come off as nothing more than crackpots. What would be a better way?

- Facebook group. Good idea? Worth the time? What/how to use it to get our voices heard? Someone to moderate? (I am prohibited by my job in getting involved in Facebook groups or else I would volunteer)

- Sympathetic people. I bet Doctorow would get involved if we organized something large-scale. Anybody else in 'the biz' who is known to be sympathetic and who would help us with our efforts?

I love books, I love reading and am unwilling to go back to paper after experiencing ebooks. I do not have the space to store every ebook I want to buy, so a friendly ebook market is very important to me. I am willing to work---not on a full-time job level, but even so---on this. But I really feel that authors and readers need to work TOGETHER on this and the time has come to stop pontificating and start DOING.

Anyone with me? Post any suggestions for ACTION below!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
One of the Telerad editors just wrote to let me know that my recent post on Teleread about the reader response to, among other things, the MacMillan issue, was the fourth most commented on article they've ever put up! A follow-up will be going up tomorrow addressing a few of the comments but I want to spread the word as widely as possible because I think that we have all aired our POV at this point, and the time has come to move beyond 'explaining' and into 'solving' and I really think authors and readers need to work together on this. Readers have tried for so long to get their voices heard, and it just isn't happening. We need the author's help, and they need our business, so why not join forces?

I think these are the main issues readers have identified:

- We need a business model that allows readers to buy books without restrictions due to the store they shop at or the country in which they live
That will happen when the publishers agree to a unified rights model. The *publishers* have to be willing to stop acting as if each unit within a major publisher - Hachette comes to mind as demonstrating how NOT to do this - were 'local' to the country it's in.

Quote:
- We need to move away from any DRM system that restricts the reader as to which device they can use and which features of that device they can access
Again, without the publishers deciding to agree to this, it ain't gonna happen.

Quote:
- We need a shift in pricing so that authors can make a fair profit from new releases without gouging customers with higher-than-print ebook prices for decade-old books
Agreed. Yes, if an O-O-P book needs to be re-entered, re-edited, re-formatted, that expense will have to be taken into consideration, but authors deserve a higher royalty percentage on such ebooks, and not just a 5%-10% boost.

Quote:
- We need a commitment from publishers to ensure that ebook releases are free from copy-editing and conversion errors---and a mechanism for readers to submit problem books for correction
Would love to see this happen. But we're still - for most publishers - in the 'sales' model, in which they offer what they want and we just stupidly buy. A 'marketing' model would take into account that customers are to be valued and the quality of the reading experience matters. Right now, so many publishers are offering us Model Ts in e-book format while offering us Mercedes, Lexuses and Bentleys in dead-tree format.

Quote:
Authors have blogged---here and elsewhere---about WHY these problems exist. We know that already. And we know that readers are unhappy. So, no more explaining. Let's talk about SOLVING.

- Who actually has the power to solve some of these issues? What is the best way to contact them and what should we say to ensure they take us seriously?

- Are there any author groups or reader groups under whom we can band together and mobilize some sort of campaign? Which groups? How can we get that going? Whom should we contact in publishing to let them know we have done so and share our concerns?
Publishers. Publishers. Publishers. We can organize, campaign, complain, think-tank and preach, but until the publishers decide that e-book customers are 'worthy' we won't get anywhere.

Quote:
- Petitions. Best way to organize? Who to send them to? What they should demand?

- Media attention. Will it help? From which venues? What would attract the most attention?

- Alternative campaigns. Several authors stated the 1-star reviews made ebook fans come off as nothing more than crackpots. What would be a better way?

- Facebook group. Good idea? Worth the time? What/how to use it to get our voices heard? Someone to moderate? (I am prohibited by my job in getting involved in Facebook groups or else I would volunteer)

- Sympathetic people. I bet Doctorow would get involved if we organized something large-scale. Anybody else in 'the biz' who is known to be sympathetic and who would help us with our efforts?

I love books, I love reading and am unwilling to go back to paper after experiencing ebooks. I do not have the space to store every ebook I want to buy, so a friendly ebook market is very important to me. I am willing to work---not on a full-time job level, but even so---on this. But I really feel that authors and readers need to work TOGETHER on this and the time has come to stop pontificating and start DOING.

Anyone with me? Post any suggestions for ACTION below!
Of course, there's nothing stopping all authors from forming the Authors E-Publishing Group, whose sole job is to present an alternative publishing outlet for e-titles. In fact, authors could choose to target the biggest offenders amongst the current publishers by deliberately refusing to allow these publishers to publish the e-book version. Instead, AE-PG could publish the titles. And I'd make it a condition that the author has the right to use AE-PG within 60 days of release of any dead-tree version.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Derek, I get that it's the publishers. That has all been explained already, but to me it's an excuse. Nothing is going to happen until somebody convinces them to change. I want solutions, not explanations. We have to *do* something.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Derek, I get that it's the publishers. That has all been explained already, but to me it's an excuse. Nothing is going to happen until somebody convinces them to change. I want solutions, not explanations. We have to *do* something.
And I stated my idea. Get the authors to form their own e-book publishing company. IIRC, that's exactly what actors did, formed their own studio... It takes partial control away from the current publishers and puts it back into the hands of the authors.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:23 AM   #5
Iqy
Iqy is on a distinguished road

Device: PDA
Its Iqy Here, I'm excited

THANK YOU FICBOT!
I spent about 4 months researching ebook publishing sites and came up with every shortcoming you mention here and more. It is infuriating, because as Derek says, publishers are still fighting to stay in control, they won't let go without a fight, there are more Caribbean Islands to buy!

I think I have found a way to make them obselete. We just have to think big and we have to act as a solid group of writers and readers together, we don't need them in the middle taking all the cream.. Read the following before you look at the solution.
1.BORDER and DISTRIBUTION RESTRICTIONS
These are the result of stupid old agreements between authors, (their agents actually) and publishers and distributors, whereby rights to countries are sold and policed. Ebooks can not have this restriction, what is the point if they do, ebooks are a global commodity! So so old fashioned.
2.DRM is also so so old hat. The future is DRM free, publishers will hang on to restricting us for as long as we let them, but we have to go around them. New unpublished writers and writers with new uncontracted books, have the opportunity to publish in ebook form DRM free, so when we buy an ebook we can put it on all of our devices. The ultimate answer is to have access to a book for life after we've paid for it, so we can put it on all our new devices for ever.
3. PRICING and ROYALTY SPLIT Smashwords has a good pricing model 85% writer 15% Smashwords AFTER Paypal fees, but when you get into the small print there are deductions for things like 'affiliate fees, retailer discounts, etc etc,' so it is not that clear. Once an ebook is written edited and converted to epub, thats it! From then on its the click of a mouse and a click of the cash register! Publishers will tell you that its expensive to produce ebooks, total crap. I believe $2 to $5 is a fair price depending on the writers popularity. Over $10 is greedy. Look at the baggage ebooks leave behind, Agents, Printers, Distributors, Transporters, Wholesalers, Retailers, any more?
4. COPYRIGHT As both a reader and a writer, I totally understand the need for copyright. However, take a paperback. We buy it, pass it on to our partner, who passes it on to a mate, who passes it on to a mate, who sells it to a 2nd hand bookstore who starts the whole process again. So, DRM free books might be passed on, no difference. The chance of a $2.95 ebook being pirated and passed around is minimal. This may not be so for big time writers at $12.99, but for most of us its not a problem. If it becomes a problem congrats, you've made it! Ebook writers will just have to accept this and accept that their book can be in front of billions of readers, not just in a few bookshops in a few cities if they are lucky. A massive difference.

THE ANSWER
As I said above, I've spent months on this and the best site by a million miles is a tiny start up web site www.zuluexpress.com. After communicating with the owner for weeks I listed my book with him and sold just short of 200 in a couple of weeks, then it slowed down. Not bad for a brand new site. I asked him if I could give it away for a month to try and get some readers engaged as I am presently writing the sequel, and Book one has a killer ending.

'No problem,' he said, do whatever YOU want! How refreshing. ALSO, he matches Smashwords, in fact beats them hands down on Royalties, its a genuine 85% writer 15% zuluexpress after Paypal, with not one more expense deducted, ever.

His recommended pricing for my book was $2.99 which I'll reinstate in March. I get $2.20 of that! Thats more than a big time writer gets from a publisher. If I get popular I can increase the price if I want. I probably won't.

Its DRM free, there are no territory restrictions, he won't accept books unless they are available globally, and he's working flat out to ensure that zulu ebooks are compatible with every reader. Very difficult, but given time I'm sure he will achieve it, the guy is a genius. Its early days and we are all pioneers.

The idea for a book for life came from him. Once you buy a book at zulu, it sits in your members file, and is available to you forever. This might lead to some sneaky downloads, but in my opinion its best for most of us to get as many books out there as possible, and how many would be ripped off? Not many.

I don't think we need to do anything else but support this guy. Contact him and ask him the questions I did, he's on OUR side. steve@zuluexpress.com

I NEED WRITERS TO JOIN ME AT ZULUEXPRESS.COM If you are sitting on a great book check it out and whack it on, you are not even committed, you can take it off any time if you want. If we can get a few hundred, then a few thousand writers there, we can dispense with those damned publishers, check it out and whack it on, you are not even committed, you can take it off any time if you want. If we can get a few hundred, then a few thousand writers there, we can dispense with those damned publishers and rewrite the history of publishing and reading.

WHO IS INTERESTED? Tell everyone.
Iqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 05:04 AM   #6
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Hi Iqy,

Nice bit of info there thanks. I totally support what you say and would love for more internet shops like ZuluExpress to come along. I am a massive Sci Fi reader and having a shop I can go to that has no restrictions on is heaven. I recently wanted to buy a Peter F. Hamilton and another book, I found them on fictionwise, diesel-books etc but ran smack into the Geographic restriction issue and was mightily annoyed. Ended up having to hunt them down at a UK site so I knew I had access.

I'd like to give thumbs up to Steve at Zuluexpress, I have had a few small issues with the site but after sending him a message he has fixed these issues in hours, great customer service!!! So all you budding SciFi and other authors get uploading books to his site asap!!!
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #7
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Only real complaint that I have about Zuluexpress is that it needs more authors.

Off to a very good start, keep up the good work!
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
GyGeek
Connoisseur
GyGeek is on a distinguished road

Device: Samsung Q1 Ultra, Boox 60, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Only real complaint that I have about Zuluexpress is that it needs more authors.

Off to a very good start, keep up the good work!
I agree, there needs to be more authors in one place, not more places for authors. Just a few popular titles would draw attention, and I am much more willing to buy a book if I know most of the money is going directly to the author.

I'm keeping my eye on Zuluexpress.
GyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
We need a business model that allows readers to buy books without restrictions due to the store they shop at or the country in which they live
The only mechanism I know of for this currently is for publishers and authors/agents to convert georestricted ebook rights into worldwide non-exclusive rights. This is what Amazon asks for on its DTP from authors and publishers by default, and what Baen gets too. However, this may be to big a pill for publishers to swallow.

An alternative I at one time thought Amazon might be able to broker would be sharing the ebook. If a US publisher has an ebook but the UK publisher does not, then either sell the US ebook to a UK reader but give the UK publisher a percentage (20% perhaps) or have UK ebook stores sell the US ebook under license to the UK publisher with the US publisher getting a percentage. The basic point is that it isn't the georestricted ebook rights that are intrinsically the problem (at least in large markets) it is that not all publishers provide an ebook version.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Lots of problems....Who owns the e-book rights? Without rights, the authors can do nothing...

Assuming you have the rights, how much will you settle for? Let me use Baen as an example. They claim e-book revenue is 10-20 percent of p-book revenue. At 50% to website retailer, (once again using Baen as an example gross of $4 a book) leaves $2 a copy. If you sell 10,000 copies a year p-book, you'll sell around 2000 copy of e-book. That's $4,000 gross, max, before your overhead. That's not a lot of money.

Conversion costs. Re-scan, re-proof, re-layout, re-cover. It'll come out of the author's pocket. Of course, there are shortcuts. Check the Darknet for your books. If they are well proofed and formatted, steal 'em back! if they're not out there, do you have any dedicated fans who will do the job for Whiffle credit? Or maybe for a sharecropper fee? (say 10% of your gross) You don't want to burden your finances or time by paying it all upfront. Too much risk, too little reward.

Most likely, you'll only get beer money out of you e-book rights this way. Still... you'll keep your customers satisfied, satisfied...

Most important, you have to have a common site for readers to go to. What I find sad is many author trying to do this on their own, and nobody but the most die-hard fans even know they're doing it...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
ficbot
Wizard

Smashwords might be fixing the 'people need a central place to go' issue.

Here is what I think we can do in the short term, to reward authors who *do* get it AND who are producing a quality product:

1) As many of us as possible should resolve to read at least one DRM-free ebook a month so we can develop a reasonably comprehensive sample of good books to recommend.

2) Have a thread here, stickied, where people can post about these books---not an announcement or shill thread for authors who want to promo their book, but an actual review thread where people can recommend the DRM-free books that were good and post about the ones which were not.

3) A 'reward the author' campaign. Pick one author a month whose works are available DRM-free and do one of the following: 1) if the author has a tip jar on their website, tip them and send them an email. 2) If the author does NOT have a tip jar, then buy a print copy if available and donate it to your local library. 3) If neither tip jar nor print copy are available, buy a copy for another MR member as a gift (maybe we can set up a thread for this where people who gift someone then become eligible to be the next recipient, round robin style?)

So that's a start...

Now, how to work on the publishers?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
The main services a publisher provides are final selection and then editing. The selection is done in the first instance by literary agents; most publishers now will not accept a submission except from an agent.

This selection has good and bad points. It weeds out material which is unpublishable, but it also militates against work which is arbitrarily deemed uncommercial. On the one hand, the reader is spared a lot of slush. On the other, the reader misses out on all kinds of new, original and possibly wonderful books. For example, most of Kafka's output remained unpublished at his death, and we all know stories of eminent modern authors who suffered years of rejection.

Editing is vital. Writers vary greatly in their need for it. Some need major restructuring of their work or have at best an imperfect grasp of grammar and usage, while others need only a light touch. Editing is a skilled and expensive process and I would suggest that sometimes the editor can be almost as important as the author.

Publishers are also responsible for promotion, but increasingly this is targeted at the books of authors who are already successful, with little or nothing left in the budget for newbies or mid-listers. My experience, when I was published in paper, was that the size of the promotion budget was directly related to the size of the advance. The very best form of promotion is actually free: it is word-of-mouth.

Thus, if one is to cut the publishers out of the loop, one must (a) select and (b) edit.

Both of these would be taken care of by a central site where self-published ebooks were reviewed. The site could be funded by advertising and by charging authors a small fee for each listing, or each click-through, or something of the sort. Professional reviewers should be engaged; their reviews should be rated and commented on by readers. In addition, readers should submit reviews, and these too should be rated and commented on, which would effectively stop authors spamming their own work.

The database of titles should be searchable by all sorts of criteria, such as genre, rating, price, and the Amazon-style "if you liked that then try these". See also a piece I posted at TeleRead in October 2008.

Good books would rise to the top by a process of natural selection. I say "good", which is not necessarily the same as "commercial". If a book were badly edited it would score badly in the reviews, putting selection pressure on the author to get his act together in that respect.

Does anyone else think this might work?
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
Does anyone else think this might work?
I do , and I can't see an alternative way to achieve the same ends.

An independent, comprehensive and trustworthy repository of ebook reviews would be a massive step forward.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The only reason I can see for Geo-restrictions (to buy) is when Government requires censorship. (Note: I don't condone censorship) .
Eliminate censorship world wide

If personal/local sensibilities are at risk, the consumer should be aware enough to shop elsewhere.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
Editing is vital. Writers vary greatly in their need for it. Some need major restructuring of their work or have at best an imperfect grasp of grammar and usage, while others need only a light touch. Editing is a skilled and expensive process and I would suggest that sometimes the editor can be almost as important as the author.
Richard, I would wish more authors and publishers understood this. It is increasingly difficult for good, professional editors to earn a living because it is difficult to compete against the quarterly profit mentality. I even had one publisher (no longer in business) tell me that no one cares about editing and it isn't visible, so why pay more than $1 a page?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote