Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-14-2024, 06:36 AM   #1
oblomov314
oblomov314 began at the beginning.

Device: iBook
Post Set the first page

Hi,

I am making my first ebook and there is only one detail left that I can't find in this forum.

I would like to choose on which page the epub3 opens for the first time. I've included all the semantics to each file in Sigil and organised the table of contents in the toc.ncx, but I can't get it to open in iBooks for the first time and show the first page of the book: it goes straight to the first chapter.

Where can I configure it in Sigil?

Thank you in advance!
oblomov314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 09:28 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You can't. Every rendering system out there (including iBooks) can choose to open your epub wherever they want it to open. Nothing you can do in Sigil can force it to work everywhere (or even anywhere).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2024, 10:20 AM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
If you are using ePub2 the best you can do is add a semantic tag (Text) to identify the place you'd like it to start. But, as Diap mentioned, the device/app doesn't always follow your suggestions. Most often it just opens to the first page.

I am not aware of a similar semantic in ePub3.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:39 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
bodymatter semantic is what some epub3 readers sometimes use.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-14-2024 at 10:41 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 01:18 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblomov314 View Post
Hi,

I am making my first ebook and there is only one detail left that I can't find in this forum.

I would like to choose on which page the epub3 opens for the first time. I've included all the semantics to each file in Sigil and organised the table of contents in the toc.ncx, but I can't get it to open in iBooks for the first time and show the first page of the book: it goes straight to the first chapter.

Where can I configure it in Sigil?

Thank you in advance!
It's really annoying when a book does not open at the start. If this book is going to be for sale and it doesn't open at the beginning and I bought it, I would want my money back. Just open at the beginning and show the cover. There is no need to put anything in the guide of the OPF. Please don't try to open at the wrong place.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2024, 03:46 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's really annoying when a book does not open at the start. If this book is going to be for sale and it doesn't open at the beginning and I bought it, I would want my money back. Just open at the beginning and show the cover. There is no need to put anything in the guide of the OPF. Please don't try to open at the wrong place.
That's not relevant to the question, Jon. They didn't ask whether or not it was a good idea (or if you liked it). They asked how it might be done. Answer the question asked, or stay out of the discussion, please.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub3, first page, sigil