Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2024, 03:39 PM   #1
LuisNeto
LuisNeto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Bug: Highlights saved with wrong heading

I found a bug in my Kobo Libra 2 where highlights made are saved with a wrong heading, and therefore displayed under the wrong heading in the Annotations list.

This seems to be happening with books which, within the same HTML/XHTML content files, have multiple headings that are listed in the table of contents.

The bug occurs when a highlight is made in a "page" where a section ends and another one begins.
It occurs in in EPUB and KEPUB files (including purchased from Kobo), but there are differences in how the bug manifests itself.
I have attached photos showing the bug in EPUB and KEPUB files.

Steps to reproduce:

I will describe the bug using the book "The Almanack of Naval Ravikant". The EPUB is distributed for free on its official website.

I'll use a chapter in this book is called "Learning Happiness", with various sections, each starting with a heading.
An example of two consecutive sections are "Envy Is the Enemy of Happiness" and "Happiness It Built by Habits".

I'll start with the EPUB file:
  1. Navigate to the page where one section ends and the other section begins
  2. Make a highlight in the section that ends and another one in the section that begins on that page, as shown in this photo:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - EPUB - text.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	206202.
    Observe the heading shown at the top. It corresponds to the section that ends.
  3. Navigate to the Annotations list.
Result: Both highlights are shown as if they belong to the "Envy Is the Enemy of Happiness" section. The second highlight should be under "Happiness Is Built by Habits"

Name:	2 - EPUB - list.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	206203

Now with the same book as a sideloaded KEPUB:
  1. Here is the page showing the highlights. Also observe that, contrary to what happened with the EPUB, the heading shown at the top corresponds to the section that begins.

Name:	3 - KEPUB - text.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	206204
  2. Navigate to the Annotations list.
Result: Both highlights are shown as if they belong to the "Happiness Is Built by Habits" section. The first highlight should be under "Envy Is the Enemy of Happiness"

Name:	4 - KEPUB - list.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	206205

This shows that Kobo is saving each highlight against the heading that is shown at top of the page, rather than looking up the actual heading.

There is more... here's what I see happening when it's an EPUB: if I quit the book and open it again, the Annotations list now shows the correct headings! Something happens under the hood which updates the highlights.

But this does not happen for KEPUB files - it remains incorrect.

I am planning to report this to Kobo.
It would be interesting to hear if others are able to reproduce this too.

Last edited by LuisNeto; 02-04-2024 at 03:43 PM.
LuisNeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 03:56 PM   #2
LuisNeto
LuisNeto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
To expand on what I wrote above:

1)
Despite the problem fixing itself for EPUB files, it should save it correctly from the beginning.

2)
I've actually analysed this at database level with the EPUB, before and after quitting the book, and I could see that the value of ContentID in the Bookmark table had been updated.

After making the highlight and before quitting the book, the value ended in
Code:
file:///(...).xhtml#idParaDest-40

After quitting, it has changed to
Code:
file:///(...).xhtml#idParaDest-41

Last edited by LuisNeto; 02-04-2024 at 04:00 PM.
LuisNeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
annotations, bug, firmware, highlights, kobo