Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-07-2023, 01:21 AM   #1
veole
veole began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Firmware downgrade after LanguageBreak jailbreak?

My only reason to jailbreak my Kindle (10th gen) is to downgrade to 5.13.6 (better inferface).

It has 5.14.3.2 installed but jailbreak does not work. If i upgrade to 5.16.2.1.1, could I downgrade to 5.13.6 easily? What's the best method?

Thanks!
veole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 04:31 AM   #2
LostOnTheLine
Connoisseur
LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (PW1|PW3|PW4), Kindle Voyage
I've been looking for the same. I've confirmed that LanguageBreak doesn't work, despite what it says, on a lot of devices & firmwares that are older.
I tried it on PW3 on 15.3.7 before failing over a dozen times & going with WatchThis.

I am working on a Firmware Table & just added the details for the Jailbreak in the Jailbreak Table at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Firmware
If you find any information relevant to this let me know or add the information to the table
LostOnTheLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2023, 06:18 AM   #3
Pedja
Pedja began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
I can confirm it worked for me, just 2 days ago I did the jailbreak to my PW4 (10th gen) and downgraded to 5.13.3 following this Downgrading your Kindle Firmware
First try, no issues.
Pedja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 11:02 AM   #4
LostOnTheLine
Connoisseur
LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedja View Post
I can confirm it worked for me, just 2 days ago I did the jailbreak to my PW4 (10th gen) and downgraded to 5.13.3 following this Downgrading your Kindle Firmware
First try, no issues.
Questions
  1. What Firmware were you on before Jailbreak?
  2. What Jailbreak did you use? (Assume LanguageBreak but just making sure)
Old 11-22-2023, 04:41 AM   #5
LostOnTheLine
Connoisseur

Quote:
First try, no issues.
I don't like that guide, not sure if it works, but it requires unnecessary hassle, downloading a file with no source information, etc.
  1. Before you proceed, if you have disabled OTA updates, restore it now to prevent complications later.
  2. Install the Downgrader extension as you would any other KUAL extension.
  3. Drag and drop the downgrader folder containing the bin, config.xml, menu.json into the extensions folder on your Kindle's visible storage's root.
  4. Launch KUAL, then Downgrader.
  5. Pick the device that you have, make sure it is the right device as this tool sets up the version.txt file to match that of the lowest denominator of the device, thus tricking the Kindle's updater to force an "upgrade".
  6. Once you've selected your device, your Kindle will restart, now with the lowest version possible spoofed in the system.
  7. Plug in your Kindle (making sure that USBNetwork is off and USBMS is on), then copy the update file you've downloaded earlier to the Kindle's visible storage root.
  8. DO NOT eject or unplug the USB cable, as this will make the Kindle's OS auto delete the update file we just copied to. Instead, hold the power button until your Kindle restarts. Now it should boot into the updater, and begins your firmware downgrade.

Instead I would use this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347165
  1. Before you proceed, if you have disabled OTA updates, restore it now to prevent complications later.
  2. Install the Downgrader extension as you would any other KUAL extension.
  3. Drag and drop the downgrader folder containing the bin, config.xml, menu.json into the extensions folder on your Kindle's visible storage's root.
  4. Launch KUAL, then Downgrader.
  5. Pick the device that you have, make sure it is the right device as this tool sets up the version.txt file to match that of the lowest denominator of the device, thus tricking the Kindle's updater to force an "upgrade".
  6. This is where it differs
  7. For this version you just copy the official kindle firmware you want to the root at the same time you copy the downgrader to the extensions folder. If you already have it installed just copy it to the root & go into KAUL > Downlgrader > Your Model
  8. Your device will reboot & install the Firmware
Advert
Old 11-22-2023, 05:41 AM   #6
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
renameOTAbin doesn't prevent installing firmware updates via reboot, no need to disable it.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 03:14 AM   #7
LostOnTheLine
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
renameOTAbin doesn't prevent installing firmware updates via reboot, no need to disable it.
Thanks. I actually thought I had it disabled still when I did it but after it was not disabled so I thought maybe I had. Either way since it seems to have enabled it if it wasn't having that step there (I just copied from the guide given) makes you at least aware of it, & reminds you to check it after
Old 11-24-2023, 07:47 AM   #8
Pedja
Pedja began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostOnTheLine View Post
Questions
  1. What Firmware were you on before Jailbreak?
  2. What Jailbreak did you use? (Assume LanguageBreak but just making sure)
Sorry, forgot to say, 5.15.1, and yes with Languagebreak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostOnTheLine View Post
I don't like that guide, not sure if it works, but it requires unnecessary hassle, downloading a file with no source information, etc.
The link in the guide points exactly to the same attachment in the post you mention. It has an aditional reboot I think? I think that guide is way easier to navigate than the forum, also it's written by Neon (aka hanakomisa in this forum) so I'm pretty confident it can be trusted.
A question of preference anyway, the important thing no matter the guide you follow is that it works.
Pedja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:06 AM   #9
veole
veole began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Were you able to remove the "Kindle feedback" icon from the library after the downgrade?
veole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downgrade, firmware, jailbreak, kindle, languagebreak