Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2023, 09:41 PM   #61
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
So I'll have to spend a day again sifting through a near 3000 book library to find what I want to put on it.
I've done this enough times that I have a work around for that.

I use reading list to sync books to the device. When I want to add a book, I add it to a reading list that adds a tag to the book and syncs everything on the list on next connect and clears the list.

I have another reading list that is sync'ed from what is on the device, and sets the flag, so everything on the device gets the flag set eventually.

I have saved searches that give me lists of books that are suppose to be on the device but are not (in case I finish a book and delete it, now I can go mark the book as done and clear the on device tag).

It is possible to soft reset the device and have it rebuild the database without needing to re-sideload all the books (just delete the database), but even if the side loaded books get wiped, I can just select the ones with the tag and schedule them to be sync'ed again. Or weed out the list before I do that. Or send them in small batches over a couple of days when it is convenient...
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 02:53 AM   #62
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I've done this enough times that I have a work around for that.

I use reading list to sync books to the device. When I want to add a book, I add it to a reading list that adds a tag to the book and syncs everything on the list on next connect and clears the list.

I have another reading list that is sync'ed from what is on the device, and sets the flag, so everything on the device gets the flag set eventually.

I have saved searches that give me lists of books that are suppose to be on the device but are not (in case I finish a book and delete it, now I can go mark the book as done and clear the on device tag).

It is possible to soft reset the device and have it rebuild the database without needing to re-sideload all the books (just delete the database), but even if the side loaded books get wiped, I can just select the ones with the tag and schedule them to be sync'ed again. Or weed out the list before I do that. Or send them in small batches over a couple of days when it is convenient...
I prefer to use virtual libraries for that. I have presently 5: Archive, Libra 2, Sage, Elipsa, and one for the cousin whose reader I administer.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2023, 05:39 AM   #63
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I use a custom column for the books that I send to my devices. A saved search shows only the books belonging to this column. When a device is connected, I click on the saved search and sort by on_device, so I can see at a glance which books are not yet sent.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 02:46 PM   #64
Artemide
Enthusiast
Artemide began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Pocketbook Basic Lux 3
Reading your comments prevents me to update this year.
4.35 version works well, with patch and nickel menu. I really wonder that after 5/6 releases firmware could be still so buggy.
Sometimes my Libra 2 freezes and it needs to make a reboot, but it happens very rarely and this thing occurs with a lot of devices (pc, smartphones etc).
Maybe you could consider to make a downgrade of firmware.
Artemide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 02:56 PM   #65
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemide View Post
Reading your comments prevents me to update this year.
4.35 version works well, with patch and nickel menu. I really wonder that after 5/6 releases firmware could be still so buggy.
Sometimes my Libra 2 freezes and it needs to make a reboot, but it happens very rarely and this thing occurs with a lot of devices (pc, smartphones etc).
Maybe you could consider to make a downgrade of firmware.
I still use 4.34 on both of my Kobos. Reading about all the bugs in later firmwares has made me reluctant to update, especially as there is really nothing in later versions I absolutely want.
Advert
Old 09-03-2023, 05:47 PM   #66
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Also for what it is worth, the issue with database corruption does not seem connected to not safely ejecting your ereader. The extra database files that are visible during an error connect very strongly suggest that the issue is during the shutdown of the file system on the exposed partition prior to the connect to your PC.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 08:10 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@Artemide, explain exactly what you are doing. We both have a Libra 2 and you have problems I don't.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 09:36 PM   #68
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@Artemide, explain exactly what you are doing. We both have a Libra 2 and you have problems I don't.
Jon, one thing to remember is that you are much like me in being slightly[*] paranoid about cleaning up your ePubs before sending them to your Kobo. I have seen, on several occasions, issues where ePubs which made epubcheck barf also caused issues with Kobo ereaders. The worst part is that most of these ePubs were commercial products so I can't even say avoid ePubs from dubious sites with a straight face.

* I chose slightly though for me, it might have been better to say very.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 05:42 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jon, one thing to remember is that you are much like me in being slightly[*] paranoid about cleaning up your ePubs before sending them to your Kobo. I have seen, on several occasions, issues where ePubs which made epubcheck barf also caused issues with Kobo ereaders. The worst part is that most of these ePubs were commercial products so I can't even say avoid ePubs from dubious sites with a straight face.

Not paranoid. But yes, I do clean up my ePub and make sure there are no errors. I have checked some retail ePub with epubcheck and I have found errors.

Maybe the solution is to check all ePub before they are sent to a Kobo and if they don't pass, fix the errors.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:27 AM   #70
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Not paranoid. But yes, I do clean up my ePub and make sure there are no errors. I have checked some retail ePub with epubcheck and I have found errors.

Maybe the solution is to check all ePub before they are sent to a Kobo and if they don't pass, fix the errors.
I'm not going to bother; I buy far too many books to add that to my workload. I don't even have epubcheck installed.

As Artemide said, it happens seldom enough that I can live with it.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:21 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'm not going to bother; I buy far too many books to add that to my workload. I don't even have epubcheck installed.

As Artemide said, it happens seldom enough that I can live with it.
To me it happens not at all. Most books are OK. But occasionally there are ones with errors. I have no idea how they slip past epubcheck unless it's due to an older epubcheck version a newer version.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:55 AM   #72
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
To me it happens not at all. Most books are OK. But occasionally there are ones with errors. I have no idea how they slip past epubcheck unless it's due to an older epubcheck version a newer version.
I've come across a couple of books in need of fixing errors. The calibre editor fixed them just fine. Most books don't need it. As basically every book has some errors, but very few cause any issues on my Kobos, I don't waste my time error-checking everything; if I have an issue, I'll fix it when it happens.
Old 09-04-2023, 02:19 PM   #73
Artemide
Enthusiast
Artemide began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Pocketbook Basic Lux 3
Quote:
Quote:
I do nothing, every 2 or 3 mounths it needs to reboot Libra 2, but for me it's normal.
I don't check or modifie ebooks with Calibre before sending to the Libra 2, just use nickel for wireless transfer.
Artemide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 02:21 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemide View Post
I do nothing, every 2 or 3 mounths it needs to reboot Libra 2, but for me it's normal.
I don't check or modifie ebooks with Calibre before sending to the Libra 2, just use nickel for wireless transfer.
That could be were the problem lays. It could be an ePub with errors that the parser doesn't understand.
Old 09-05-2023, 03:03 PM   #75
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Jon, one thing to remember is that you are much like me in being slightly[*] paranoid about cleaning up your ePubs before sending them to your Kobo. I have seen, on several occasions, issues where ePubs which made epubcheck barf also caused issues with Kobo ereaders.
If that's paranoid, I must be neurotic since I don't just clean my ePubs—I also rewrite the entire OPF document with good metadata (usually based on GoodReads and/or OverDrive).

Quote:
The worst part is that most of these ePubs were commercial products so I can't even say avoid ePubs from dubious sites with a straight face.
Eh... the ones from dubious sites are often slightly better since they've been processed with Calibre. OTOH, that in itself could be considered worse in some ways.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release