Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2023, 06:31 PM   #46
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
No, I don't use Pocket. Just Kobo Plus.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 06:40 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The response I received from Kobo is that the rollout of 4.38.21908 had been paused due to the issues with Pocket sign in. This appears to be an issue between Kobo and Pocket on the back end so I suspect there won't be a new release once the problem has been resolved.
It's good to know that this firmware can be installed. So if we do get patches, I'll give it a go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2023, 02:55 AM   #48
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I'll do the patches soon. I've been away without a connection for the last week, so I missed this release.
Thank you! Always appreciated.
xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 04:59 AM   #49
Magicianreads47
Magicianreads47 began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Picard View Post
Still having constantly refreshing wishlist making it unusable plus getting a lot of network errors. The last 4 updates have introduced more and more bugs. Everything worked in 4.35

Which device are you using?
Magicianreads47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 09:03 AM   #50
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
The response I received from Kobo is that the rollout of 4.38.21908 had been paused due to the issues with Pocket sign in. This appears to be an issue between Kobo and Pocket on the back end so I suspect there won't be a new release once the problem has been resolved.

Thanks for that update, DNSB. I suspected there was a problem on the back end that prevented Pocket authorization.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2023, 10:06 AM   #51
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Here's what I have in my notes for this release:

The issue with files not being closed before a USB connect is not fixed in this release. The recommendation to reboot before a USB connect or connecting from Home/Books is still a workaround if you run into this issue.
A *possible* workaround. I have just had a Kobo reboot immediately on disconnect. Not only was it on the home screen before I connected, I hadn't evened opened any book on it before the previous connect to the computer.

So I'll have to spend a day again sifting through a near 3000 book library to find what I want to put on it. What an incredibly dispiriting bug this device has nowadays.

Maybe they should have paused the roll out of any previous updates too, because this is even more annoying than any possible problems with the pocket app (which no dout I'll have once it's rebooted).

Last edited by franklekens; 09-02-2023 at 10:11 AM.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 10:34 AM   #52
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In fact, there is an alert on their site now saying:

"Alert| Issues with the Pocket app on Kobo eReadersThere is an issue where some users cannot create a Pocket account or use their Pocket account on Kobo eReaders. We are aware of the situation and actively working on a solution."

So they are aware of issues sometimes. But I've never seen an alert about this incredibly annoying reboot issue on disconnecting from a desktop. Are they aware of that at all? What is the best place to raise this issue or to lodge a complaint about this? I assume they're not monitoring this forum. So how will they ever realize this is a problem? (And a huge one IMHO.)
Old 09-02-2023, 10:51 AM   #53
franklekens
Addict

Also, has this happened to anybody who didn't use Calibre? Is it actually certain it's a firmware problem (or a "communications with Windows" problem) and not a Calibre problem? Does anybody know?
Old 09-02-2023, 04:23 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
A *possible* workaround. I have just had a Kobo reboot immediately on disconnect. Not only was it on the home screen before I connected, I hadn't evened opened any book on it before the previous connect to the computer.

So I'll have to spend a day again sifting through a near 3000 book library to find what I want to put on it. What an incredibly dispiriting bug this device has nowadays.

Maybe they should have paused the roll out of any previous updates too, because this is even more annoying than any possible problems with the pocket app (which no dout I'll have once it's rebooted).
Why do you have to go through your library to decide what to put on your Kobo? Was the database corrupted?

Do you have Kobo Utilities installed so you can backup the database when you connect to calibre?
Old 09-02-2023, 04:24 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Also, has this happened to anybody who didn't use Calibre? Is it actually certain it's a firmware problem (or a "communications with Windows" problem) and not a Calibre problem? Does anybody know?
It's not a problem with calibre. No idea why it happened, but it was not the fault of calibre.
Old 09-02-2023, 04:28 PM   #56
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
A *probable* workaround. The reboot will ensure that the database is closed as well as any other files on the exposed partition. My process is to hit reboot in NickelMenu and then connect the USB C cable as soon as the reboot process starts. My notes indicate that since I started doing this, I have not seen a dirty bit set popup from Windows in 83 connects while before I was averaging 1 in 5 connects. from Home/Books triggering the popup.

The reboot on disconnect generally indicates file corruption issues so bad that they triggered the reset procedure.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 04:32 PM   #57
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In my limited testing, I did not need to have calibre running though the number of dirty bit set popups dropped to 1 in 10 connects. I would see the .sqlite-wal and .sqlite-shm files in the .kobo directory.
Old 09-02-2023, 04:32 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
A *probable* workaround. The reboot will ensure that the database is closed as well as any other files on the exposed partition. My process is to hit reboot in NickelMenu and then connect the USB C cable as soon as the reboot process starts. My notes indicate that since I started doing this, I have not seen a dirty bit set popup from Windows in 83 connects while before I was averaging 1 in 5 connects. from Home/Books triggering the popup.

The reboot on disconnect generally indicates file corruption issues so bad that they triggered the reset procedure.
I cannot say how many connects, but I do not reboot and I've never once seen the dirty bit show up.
Old 09-02-2023, 04:33 PM   #59
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I cannot say how many connects, but I do not reboot and I've never once seen the dirty bit show up.
The issue seems to show up a lot more often on my Sage than on my Clara HD.
Old 09-02-2023, 04:37 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The issue seems to show up a lot more often on my Sage than on my Clara HD.
I've never seen it on my Libra 2. Maybe it's becaue of the way I unplug the USB cable. Once the books are imported, I use NickelMenu to reconnect to USB and get the metadata updated. Then I eject and once at the home screen, I then unplug the USB cable.

Even if I'm not adding books or using calibre, after eject, I always wait until I see the home screen before unplugging.

Tags
firmware, firmware release