Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2023, 09:55 PM   #61
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I am beginning to think that Calibre is not closing all of the files on the Kobo when I eject using Calibre's menu.
I suspect the reverse -- kobo isn't closing all files and unmounting before it offers its filesystem to the PC. This wouldn't matter if you don't do anything on the pc (like mess with the database or copy files).

But if both systems are accessing the filesystem at the same time or even if the kobo just holds cached data from before the usb is connected and modified, corruption is likely.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 04:12 AM   #62
Odyssee
Connoisseur
Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Basic 11
I have a Sage which is on the 586 firmware. Last week I had an error connecting with ereader in Calibre. I had to do a factory reset. See this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=355129

Over the last few days the Sage resets itself after sideloading some books via Calibre when I eject the device from Calibre. I then have to reinstall and reconfigure the damn thing although the books are still on it. After the last time I also have the "Take a Quick Tour" section on the Homescreen which doesn't go away.

What do you think, is this the bloody firmware or what? If anybody could give me advice how to solve these problems, I'd be grateful.

[edit] I solved that "Take A Quick Tour" thing by adding QuickTourWidgetShown=true to the ereader.conf file.

Last edited by Odyssee; 07-29-2023 at 05:13 AM.
Odyssee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2023, 10:35 AM   #63
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I suspect the reverse -- kobo isn't closing all files and unmounting before it offers its filesystem to the PC. This wouldn't matter if you don't do anything on the pc (like mess with the database or copy files).

But if both systems are accessing the filesystem at the same time or even if the kobo just holds cached data from before the usb is connected and modified, corruption is likely.
Yes, I think you are right. I just had the problem again this morning, without using Calibre at all. But the problem is just so random. The ereader seems fine for a while, but then, without warning, it corrupts, even if I haven't added or deleted any books--just looking at the file system is enough to corrupt it sometimes. It's very frustrating. And I had zero problems with this before I factory reset it. I may try the manual factory reset to see if that makes any difference.

Last edited by icallaci; 07-29-2023 at 10:39 AM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 12:24 PM   #64
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, so I did a manual reset and sideloaded all my books. Everything seemed to work just fine--until I plugged it in to my computer with a usb cable. Then I got the "There's a problem with this disk" error. So I let it scan and fix. No problems found. Ejected, reconnected, and no error. BUT now my computer shows two different names for the ereader. In Windows Explorer, the name is KOBOeReader. When I view the status bar eject menu in the lower right corner of my screen, it says "Eject ereader-4.37.21586. If I use that, it says it ejects, but the ereader screen says it is still connected. So now I am wondering if it's a problem with Windows 11. At this point, I give up. Everything seems to work so far (no more corrupted database, yet). Calibre's eject menu works, the Windows Explorer eject menu works, so I think I will stay away from the status bar eject menu for now to see if that is somehow contributing to the problem. Weird.
Old 07-29-2023, 12:47 PM   #65
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
OK, so I did a manual reset and sideloaded all my books. Everything seemed to work just fine--until I plugged it in to my computer with a usb cable. Then I got the "There's a problem with this disk" error. So I let it scan and fix. No problems found. Ejected, reconnected, and no error. BUT now my computer shows two different names for the ereader. In Windows Explorer, the name is KOBOeReader. When I view the status bar eject menu in the lower right corner of my screen, it says "Eject ereader-4.37.21586. If I use that, it says it ejects, but the ereader screen says it is still connected. So now I am wondering if it's a problem with Windows 11. At this point, I give up. Everything seems to work so far (no more corrupted database, yet). Calibre's eject menu works, the Windows Explorer eject menu works, so I think I will stay away from the status bar eject menu for now to see if that is somehow contributing to the problem. Weird.
For what it matters, my device also shows two names on Windows 10.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2023, 01:04 PM   #66
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
For what it matters, my device also shows two names on Windows 10.
Interesting. Mine has always shown KOBOeReader everywhere, until now. And it won't eject unless I use the one that says KOBOeReader, not the one that says ereader-4.37.21586.
Old 07-29-2023, 01:14 PM   #67
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
So far from a massive sample of 4 people, it appears that rebooting the Sage before connecting to the computer keeps Windows from complaining about the dirty bit being set. It's pretty simple to add that line to the NickelMenu config file. Replace main with whatever other menus you want to see the item in.

Code:
menu_item : main    : Reboot             : power          : reboot
menu_item : main    : Shutdown         : power          : shutdown
No guarantees but has looked good so far.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 03:52 PM   #68
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
In Windows Explorer, the name is KOBOeReader. When I view the status bar eject menu in the lower right corner of my screen, it says "Eject ereader-4.37.21586. If I use that, it says it ejects, but the ereader screen says it is still connected.
My Libra 2 has always said that under Windows 7, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

As for ejecting, I always eject from the Windows system tray icon, and then I unplug the USB cable. The Libra doesn't notice that I've ejected it until after I unplug the cable, so that also seems normal.

As an added precaution, I never connect the Libra to my PC when I'm in a book. I always return to My Books before connecting.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 04:51 PM   #69
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
My Libra 2 has always said that under Windows 7, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

As for ejecting, I always eject from the Windows system tray icon, and then I unplug the USB cable. The Libra doesn't notice that I've ejected it until after I unplug the cable, so that also seems normal.

As an added precaution, I never connect the Libra to my PC when I'm in a book. I always return to My Books before connecting.
I have always used eject from the Windows system tray/staus bar (or from Calibre) before unplugging the USB cable, but this doesn't work anymore. I also never connect my Elipsa while I'm in a book. I always return to the Home Page before connecting. The odd thing is that the name of the device in my System Tray/Status Bar has always matched the name in Windows Explorer, and now it doesn't. Plus, it refuses to eject from the System Tray at all now. Oh, well, I'm going to use my Elipsa for a few days and see how it goes. Thanks, everyone.

Edit: sorry, I mean File Explorer, not Windows Explorer. Duh. Senior moment.

Last edited by icallaci; 07-29-2023 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2023, 06:11 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me, File Explorer shows KOBOeReader, the Safely Remove the Hardware and Eject Media gadget in the Systray shows eReader-4.37.21586 and USBDeView shows Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Device. KOBOeReader is the volume label, eReader-4.37.21586 is the USB device name while the Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Device is what the hardware ID resolves as.

BTW, that pattern was there before I moved to Windows 10 from Windows 7 according to my earliest notes that I can find.
Old 07-29-2023, 07:24 PM   #71
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For me, File Explorer shows KOBOeReader, the Safely Remove the Hardware and Eject Media gadget in the Systray shows eReader-4.37.21586 and USBDeView shows Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Device. KOBOeReader is the volume label, eReader-4.37.21586 is the USB device name while the Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Device is what the hardware ID resolves as.

BTW, that pattern was there before I moved to Windows 10 from Windows 7 according to my earliest notes that I can find.
That seems to be the case for most people, so I guess I was the odd one out. Since I am now seeing what other people see on their systems, I'm hoping that my Elipsa will start behaving itself.
Old 07-30-2023, 11:31 PM   #72
icallaci
Guru

Turning off the ereader and then turning it back on before connecting it via USB to the computer seems to have stopped the "This drive has a problem" popup.
Old 07-30-2023, 11:44 PM   #73
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Turning off the ereader and then turning it back on before connecting it via USB to the computer seems to have stopped the "This drive has a problem" popup.
That's what I use the reboot option I added to NickelMenu for. A bit faster than power off/power on.
Old 07-31-2023, 10:43 AM   #74
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That's what I use the reboot option I added to NickelMenu for. A bit faster than power off/power on.
Hmmm, I'll have to give that a try. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:48 AM   #75
afakler
afakler began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I have the same problem with my AuraOne (4.35.20400). The workaraound is to plug the reader in before starting Calibre and to eject it after closing Calibre. If i do it that way, there is never a problem.
So, for me it looks like it is a Calibre problem.
afakler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release