Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-26-2023, 03:00 PM   #46
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If people have mentioned having problems, that would suggest it is possible to have problems, does it not?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 03:24 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Is the current version really a problem for the Forma as people have mentioned upthread?
My old Forma does not seem to have issues with 4.37.21586. However this does not preclude someone else from seeing an issue. Anything from the books on the device to the driver software and chipset of the computer being connected to could potentially cause issues.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2023, 10:30 PM   #48
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Is the current version really a problem for the Forma as people have mentioned upthread?
I have a forma and I don't see any version of the firmware this year being any buggier.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 09:57 AM   #49
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Thanks, I feel better.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 12:10 PM   #50
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
My Forma is getting the "dirty bit" problem when connecting to a Windows machine again... it's been quite many firmwares that's been working fine.

Annoying...
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2023, 01:39 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
My Forma is getting the "dirty bit" problem when connecting to a Windows machine again... it's been quite many firmwares that's been working fine.

Annoying...
Are you sue this is not user error?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 01:40 PM   #52
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Yes, 100%.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 02:37 PM   #53
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If it's an error with .21582, it's 'update the firmware.' If it's an error with .21586, it's suddenly user error.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 03:21 PM   #54
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Jon, considering the number of people who have experienced the error and that almost all the reports I've seen mention it's erratic nature, I think user error i.e. not safely ejecting, can be placed as a low probability cause.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 06:07 PM   #55
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jon, considering the number of people who have experienced the error and that almost all the reports I've seen mention it's erratic nature, I think user error i.e. not safely ejecting, can be placed as a low probability cause.
I'm sure I am safely ejecting.
I'm not sure I remembered to turn off wifi and make sure it wasnt running a sync when I plugged it in. I think something is still getting stuck in the background occasionally.

I'm also not sure that I don't have hardware failure, like ram that randomly flips bits. Because at least once, my database got corrupted, so I plugged it back in and copied over the previous database backup and ejected and got a blank home screen with no books...and then rebooted and all was fine.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 06:16 PM   #56
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I've got an Elipsa that was working flawlessly before I stupidly decided to factory reset it and reload my books in an attempt to compact the ever-growing database. I was on 4.37.21586 before I reset it, and I am still on 4.37.21586 now. I reloaded only the books that were already on the reader before the factory reset, so I don't think it's a rogue ebook causing the problem. After the reset, I am experiencing the dirty bit and a corrupted database quite often. I am doing some experiments to try to narrow things down, and will report back if I manage to find a reliable way to duplicate the issue. But I find it very odd that I never had a single problem with the Elipsa until I factory reset it.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 06:48 PM   #57
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If the problem persists, you could try doing the developer factory reset that also reverts to the launch firmware and essentially erases everything you've done since you got the device.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 07:05 PM   #58
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If the problem persists, you could try doing the developer factory reset that also reverts to the launch firmware and essentially erases everything you've done since you got the device.
Is that different than the factory reset done through the menu?

Edit: Aha. I found the two different ways to do a factory reset. I will try a few more things to see if I can narrow down what specific actions are causing the dirty bit and corrupted database. If I can't figure it out, I will do a manual reset and start over. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by icallaci; 07-27-2023 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:19 PM   #59
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
21586 is a step up over the previous three versions which locked up much more often than this one. I've only had to factory reset it once so far, versus the every two weeks with some of the previous versions.

I've seen much worse, although none of the version 5.x ones have been superlative.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 10:26 AM   #60
icallaci
Guru

I am beginning to think that Calibre is not closing all of the files on the Kobo when I eject using Calibre's menu. Still testing, but as long as I don't open Calibre while the Kobo is connected via USB cable, my Kobo is happy. If I open Calibre and do absolutely nothing but eject immediately, everything looks ok (the Kobo is ejected in Windows Explorer) but the next time I connect, bingo--corrupted database and/or dirty bit set. I will keep testing to see if I can reliably duplicate this. It may take a few days because I want to make sure it's not random, which means I need to try various intervals of connecting via USB with and without Calibre open. I did try closing Calibre after ejecting the Kobo but before removing the USB cable, and still got corruption.

Edit: If I close Calibre while the Kobo is connected, and then use Windows to eject the Kobo, everything seems to work. But, again, I need to do more testing to make sure. I will try using Calibre as I normally do, but I will close Calibre before ejecting my Kobo through Windows to see if I get any corruption.

Last edited by icallaci; 07-28-2023 at 10:58 AM.

Tags
firmware, firmware release