Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2023, 04:19 PM   #16
julian67
julian67 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
In older firmwares, inverting the screen required a reboot. Are you saying it doesn't require a reboot anymore, or even after rebooting the screen would not invert on older firmwares for you?
Yes, exactly that. I keep the firmware up to date and finally with this firmware it is possible to invert without reboot. There have even been earlier firmwares where invert didn't work at all, reboot or no reboot. And some firmwares where it worked but only after a reboot. Now it finally works simply by toggling it in developer options, no reboot required.
julian67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 07:37 PM   #17
allanahk
Connoisseur
allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I enabled the "block wifi upgrade" patch but I don't think it installed before this version forced it's way in. So annoying. I just started the Plus trial so I have to turn on wifi. Hopefully the freshly patched device will not upgrade tomorrow or whenever they send an update out!
I had the same issue - downgraded to 4.25 on Friday (was having lag issues with 4.27) and enabled "block wifi upgrade" in the patches, but somehow woke up to my patches gone and my kobo on 4.37.21586. Weird...

Anyway, I hope this is the last update for a while - getting tired of constantly repatching

Thanks geek1011 as always!
allanahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2023, 07:59 PM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian67 View Post
Yes, exactly that. I keep the firmware up to date and finally with this firmware it is possible to invert without reboot. There have even been earlier firmwares where invert didn't work at all, reboot or no reboot. And some firmwares where it worked but only after a reboot. Now it finally works simply by toggling it in developer options, no reboot required.
And some firmwares where you didn't need to reboot (although you may have had to exit the current read, I forget.)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 10:32 PM   #19
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanahk View Post
I had the same issue - downgraded to 4.25 on Friday (was having lag issues with 4.27) and enabled "block wifi upgrade" in the patches, but somehow woke up to my patches gone and my kobo on 4.37.21586.
I wonder if it's possible to block updates by either blacklisting an address in your router or using the hosts file on the Kobo. The patch to block updates does warn that it might not actually work, since nobody can test it until the next firmware comes out.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 09:11 AM   #20
hatuluang
Connoisseur
hatuluang can extract oil from cheesehatuluang can extract oil from cheesehatuluang can extract oil from cheesehatuluang can extract oil from cheesehatuluang can extract oil from cheesehatuluang can extract oil from cheesehatuluang can extract oil from cheesehatuluang can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
After the update to the recent firmware (4.37.21586), my Clara 2E can invert without reboot, however, it should be swapped orientation (portrait or landscape) to make the screen switch.
hatuluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2023, 10:42 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I wonder if it's possible to block updates by either blacklisting an address in your router or using the hosts file on the Kobo. The patch to block updates does warn that it might not actually work, since nobody can test it until the next firmware comes out.
Unlike Kindle (or Android or iOS possibly?) there is no need. You can go back easily, though usually not to an earlier FW than was supplied at model launch and bigger steps back might corrupt database (sign out and sign in to reset that).
Scroll down to bottom and click button
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
Quote:
Versions

All previous versions by hardware revision.

[ Show ]
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 04:19 PM   #22
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You can go back easily
This is only true if you have and know how to use a computer. It would be nice if there were a reliable way to block updates for all the non-tech savvy parents and grandparents out there who want to use a Kobo with minimal likelihood of firmware updates breaking things.
Old 07-09-2023, 05:01 PM   #23
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
This is only true if you have and know how to use a computer. It would be nice if there were a reliable way to block updates for all the non-tech savvy parents and grandparents out there who want to use a Kobo with minimal likelihood of firmware updates breaking things.
There is a patch for that... but somebody has to apply it...
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 05:39 PM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
The younger users don't have WiFi passwords, so turning on WiFi does nothing. That's a clue.
If you don't have a computer why have you wiFi? An Android tablet or phone with a host/OTG mode, €5 adapter and a filemanager can also apply FW from https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

But how do you apply a patch if you have no conputer or don't understand? Applying patches is more complicated than FW download and copy.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 06:12 PM   #25
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
There is a patch for that... but somebody has to apply it...
As somebody pointed out earlier in this thread, the patch doesn't necessarily work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But how do you apply a patch if you have no conputer or don't understand?
Their kids can do the initial setup, but they won't necessarily be around to fix problems later, hence the desire to prevent potentially bad updates so that things continue running smoothly for as long as possible.
Old 07-09-2023, 09:18 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
If you don't know about computers, you are unlikely to understand firmware.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 10:29 PM   #27
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
As somebody pointed out earlier in this thread, the patch doesn't necessarily work.
Actually, there are two different patches that address this. The other, which presents a pop-up allowing the user to accept or refuse the firmware download/install, works well and is a sure thing.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 10:46 PM   #28
Aleron Ives
Wizard

How often does the pop-up window appear? Is it every time you sync or more frequently than that? It could get pretty annoying if it nags you to update every time you try to read a book.
Old 07-09-2023, 11:26 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Interesting. A quick test on my Sage and Clara HD required me to reboot before the screen would invert. Dark mode which just inverts text while reading worked as usual without a reboot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	149
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	202569  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 06:10 AM   #30
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
How often does the pop-up window appear? Is it every time you sync or more frequently than that? It could get pretty annoying if it nags you to update every time you try to read a book.
From my limited experience, every time you sync. I declined several times. Then hooked it up to my computer. I happened to notice 2 update files in .kobo. After I ejected, it updated. So I probably could have deleted the files and saved myself the hassle of an unasked for upgrade.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release