Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-22-2023, 03:40 PM   #31
Ellie
Avid reader
Ellie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo and Samsung Tablet
I have a Kobo Sage and in the last 3-4 weeks I've had to factory reset it 3 times so far. I use Calibre to manage my library and when I plug the Kobo into the computer I get a message saying there's something wrong with it and to reformat. I quickly eject it and when opening the Kobo all of my books, the first 2 times, were taken out of their folders and all just on the main drive leaving empty folders. This last time, today, it deleted all of my books except for one author which still had all of their books in the folder. All of the other folders showed zero books. Since I had nothing to lose I plugged it back into my computer again and the message didn't pop up but Calibre said it couldn't communicate with the device and I couldn't add any books to the Kobo.
At first I wasn't sure if it was my Kobo or my computer but since I can factory reset it and all is good again for a few days, it must be the Kobo. I have firmware 4.37.21586.
For the first time I'm considering a Kindle but only the Scribe has a large screen.
Any advice or suggestions? Or anyone else experiencing the same thing? Wait for a firmware update or is it broken? It's only 6 months old. I've used Kobo for many years. Not happy with this one.
Ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 03:59 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The message should not say to format but rather to check the drive. One friend of mine is having a similar issue with his Sage and our workaround after reporting the issue to Kobo is to use a NickelMenu item to reboot his Sage before connecting to his computer. The Sage runs dosfsck against the FAT32 partition as part of the bootup.

OTOH, what he is seeing does not quite match what you are seeing. For him, when he connected and got the popup about an error on the drive, calibre also complains that the Sage's database is corrupted. He then copies the last backup of the database into place before ejecting the Sage. While this may lose him up to 24 hours worth of imports/reading stats/whatever, he has not had his books moving around or being removed though that may be due to the database corruption not being corrected on your Sage.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2023, 04:19 PM   #33
Ellie
Avid reader
Ellie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo and Samsung Tablet
How long has he had the problem? Does it seem it's connected to the firmware that's the most current one? I'm hoping that with newer firmware the problem will go away. The error message I got when plugging it into my computer may say what your friend's does, it's hard to remember the exact wording when it goes away. Thanks for your reply. I found the NickelMenu site and also added the Kobo Utilities plugin to Calibre to back up the database.
Ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 04:29 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem is that he is not sure how long he has had the problem. He thinks it happened occasionally over the last while but was happening more often with 4.37.21582 so he mentioned it to me. Basically, he is not a techie nor has he kept notes on issues that he runs into.
Old 07-22-2023, 04:39 PM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
I have a Kobo Sage and in the last 3-4 weeks I've had to factory reset it 3 times so far. I use Calibre to manage my library and when I plug the Kobo into the computer I get a message saying there's something wrong with it and to reformat.
Sounds like an MS Windows issue and something running on Windows is messing up the drive.
Not impossible on MacOS or Linux but less likely,
Turn off drive indexing.
Make AV be only scan on demand.

I've seen Windows do this to USB memory sticks.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2023, 03:35 AM   #36
cycojesus
Enthusiast
cycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I've been having a similar issue with my Sage for some time.

Every morning I sync it to Calibre. Starting a few weeks ago it would reset itself after ejection. I set it up again, plug it again and restore the backup Calibre made but it's annoying as it takes some time and some settings aren't restored by the backup.

A week ago I ran fsck on the drive which reported and fixed some issues and it seemed to have fixed the problem. Until this morning when after I ejected the Sage it displayed its homescreen as if empty then 10 seconds later displayed the setup wizard. This time I had the presence of mind to try the "I have no wifi" option, mounted the reader and restored the backup which was quicker, but I still lost settings and I'm uncomfortable with the situation.

I'm thinking of going to FNAC and try to replace it under warranty… What would you do?

EDIT: It started to happen with this firmware, 4.37.21582, now on latest version but it might be a coincidence.

EDIT2: And this is on Linux. I've had Kobos for many years and never had this problem before

Last edited by cycojesus; 07-24-2023 at 03:37 AM. Reason: firmware version + Linux
cycojesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 04:12 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have a Kobo Sage and in the last 3-4 weeks I've had to factory reset it 3 times so far. I use Calibre to manage my library and when I plug the Kobo into the computer I get a message saying there's something wrong with it and to reformat. I quickly eject it and when opening the Kobo all of my books, the first 2 times, were taken out of their folders and all just on the main drive leaving empty folders. This last time, today, it deleted all of my books except for one author which still had all of their books in the folder. All of the other folders showed zero books. Since I had nothing to lose I plugged it back into my computer again and the message didn't pop up but Calibre said it couldn't communicate with the device and I couldn't add any books to the Kobo.
At first I wasn't sure if it was my Kobo or my computer but since I can factory reset it and all is good again for a few days, it must be the Kobo. I have firmware 4.37.21586.
For the first time I'm considering a Kindle but only the Scribe has a large screen.
Any advice or suggestions? Or anyone else experiencing the same thing? Wait for a firmware update or is it broken? It's only 6 months old. I've used Kobo for many years. Not happy with this one.
My suggestion is to install the latest firmware,

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=354942
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 11:57 AM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Jon, the latest firmware does not seem to help. The friend of mine who is now using the reboot to force dosfsck to run before connecting to their computer had the issue on 4.37.21582 and it is still there on 4.37.21586.

It does not seem to happen with all Sages or every time you connect to your computer, just enough to be annoying. Of course, erratic problems are so easy to locate and fix—not!

One other persons workaround is to immediately eject their Sage if the Windows error on drive popup appears and then to reboot before reconnecting.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:25 PM   #39
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jon, the latest firmware does not seem to help. The friend of mine who is now using the reboot to force dosfsck to run before connecting to their computer
I've been having trouble with sync getting stuck and not releasing the disk.
I turn off wifi before connecting to the computer and make sure sync is not running. If it is running, reboot helps.

If sync is running when I connect to the computer, I get corruption almost every time.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 10:50 PM   #40
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Is the corruption issues limited to Sage? I've not been having any problems with Libra H2O (aside from the aforementioned search complaint).
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 02:46 AM   #41
cycojesus
Enthusiast
cycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

The message you respond to as well as I both are running the latest firmware (4.37.21586)

Today's calibre sync happened without causing problem, fsck I ran yesterday reported no problem.
cycojesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 04:41 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jon, the latest firmware does not seem to help. The friend of mine who is now using the reboot to force dosfsck to run before connecting to their computer had the issue on 4.37.21582 and it is still there on 4.37.21586.

It does not seem to happen with all Sages or every time you connect to your computer, just enough to be annoying. Of course, erratic problems are so easy to locate and fix—not!

One other persons workaround is to immediately eject their Sage if the Windows error on drive popup appears and then to reboot before reconnecting.
That's not good. But the logical thing to do is to try the latest firmware and then if you have problems, to say so. That's what I would be doing.

At that point someone can say to go back to a working firmware. However, that does cause one problem if you sync. You have to stop syncing or install the patch to ask first.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 05:32 AM   #43
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I have also had this problem and my Sage has factory reset itself three times in the past few weeks. The first two times it was after getting an error message that the drive needed repairing but the third time it was after I had transferred a book via Calibre and a cable (and yes I did correctly eject, but it factory reset itself even so).

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:24 AM   #44
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Is the corruption issues limited to Sage? I've not been having any problems with Libra H2O (aside from the aforementioned search complaint).
I don't think it is model specific or firmware version specific.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 04:55 PM   #45
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I don't think it is model specific or firmware version specific.
I've had no problems with my Clara 2E.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release