Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2023, 09:35 AM   #46
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I don't have any patches and I see no "spacing" or other kinds of problems with reading my KA1 and Forma.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 09:46 AM   #47
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I don't have any patches and I see no "spacing" or other kinds of problems with reading my KA1 and Forma.
An epub seems fine, but kepubs are strange and interpret "pt" differently (wrongly) for margins and spacings compared to every epub renderer, mobo, kf8/azw3 and kf8 I've used. AFAIK it's kepubs that especially need the patches.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2023, 12:20 PM   #48
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
From my notes here are some of the changes in this firmware revision:

NOTEBOOK CHANGES (Elipsa 2E, Elipsa, Sage)

Added menu option to increase line spacing for Advanced Notebook
Added brightness icon in Notebooks
Added Lasso selection tool in Basic Notebook (WIP)

Folders for Notebooks
Tap "My Notebooks" > tap "+" widget > select the "Folder" option > enter folder title > save

Search in Advanced and Basic Notebooks
Tap the search icon to look up strings within the notebook

Notebook backup
Users can now sync Notebooks between devices. This setting is enabled by default in the syncing and updates settings page.

Added multiple new background templates in Notebooks

Create property shapes by drawing and holding your pen in place for a few seconds in Basic Notebook
Delete folders on signout

MISCELLANEOUS
Added ebook categories on second page of storefront
Improved highlights in RX by only dithering the area of highlight
Standardize UI icon sizing from 46 to 48
Google Drive support for Elipsa 2E, Elipsa, Sage and Forma
Improve touch target for each button within the settings page
Daily Deal book removed from library after purchase
Wishlist has a new Filter for items currently on Sale

Google Drive may be a download only tool at this time.

Edit: Database version is still 174 so should not trigger unsupported database warning on calibre.
Hi, how are you?

Could you elaborate on the download tool bit for Google Drive?
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 07:48 PM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Would you care to post a screenshot comparison of these wonders?
Luckily for you, I'm boring and had the time to waste reinstalling unpatched firmware, then reinstalling the patched one.

These aren't the most egregious examples. To be honest, I just picked the page I was on and one page before. But every page was like these two or worse. Even on the thumbnail for the first image, you can see holes in the text.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - Unpatched.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	953.5 KB
ID:	202267   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - Patched.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	950.6 KB
ID:	202268   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 - Unpatched.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	958.3 KB
ID:	202269   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 - Patched.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	969.0 KB
ID:	202270  

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-24-2023 at 07:55 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 07:54 PM   #50
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
RMSDK on Kobo has a better layout then KePub.
Yeah, I figure ePubs on a Kobo likely look as good as they do on a Nook.

But if you are using a Kobo as intended by the manufacturer, you are reading kepubs purchased from Kobo and the formatting leaves a lot to be desired, in my experience.
Advert
Old 06-24-2023, 08:57 PM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
Hi, how are you?

Could you elaborate on the download tool bit for Google Drive?
Not really, no. It does not seem to have made it into the GA release.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 04:09 AM   #52
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Luckily for you, I'm boring
Hey now, don't be so hard on yourself!

I don't think I've seen spacing quite that bad on any of my books, but maybe I should try the hyphenation patch. I don't really understand why it would impact spacing on lines where nothing is hyphenated, though.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 04:17 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

But if you are using a Kobo as intended by the manufacturer, you are reading kepubs purchased from Kobo and the formatting leaves a lot to be desired, in my experience.
ePub on a Kobo actually looks better then on a nook because you can choose the font you want, adjust the weight as you want, and hyphenation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 06:37 AM   #54
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I have a kobo, but I download ebooks I buy from Kobo as epubs and backup. You only get the kepub if you update/sync by WiFi.

I dislike the idea of proprietary formats.

Also my two main reasons to buy an eink at all were to read PD ebooks (and only one minor source does kepub) and proof epub. Also uploads to publish almost anywhere, including Amazon and Google (and distribution to Kobo, Apple, Barnes & Noble etc via D2D/Smashwords) are epub, not kepub.

Last edited by Quoth; 06-25-2023 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-25-2023, 06:43 AM   #55
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Copy & Paste in Advanced Notebooks
(Sage and Elipsa)
It's changed a bit in UI, and works a little better. Still no copy/paste into or outside of current notebook.
Old 06-25-2023, 07:41 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I have a kobo, but I download ebooks I buy from Kobo as epubs and backup. You only get the kepub if you update/sync by WiFi.

I dislike the idea of proprietary formats.

Also my two main reasons to buy an eink at all were to read PD ebooks (and only one minor source does kepub) and proof epub. Also uploads to publish almost anywhere, including Amazon and Google (and distribution to Kobo, Apple, Barnes & Noble etc via D2D/Smashwords) are epub, not kepub.
And that minor source does atrocious ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 11:32 AM   #57
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Would you care to post a screenshot comparison of these wonders?
Header/footer/margin patches: https://pgaskin.net/kobopatch-patche...tch-13651.html

And for people reading badly-formatted books (i.e., ones which use relative font size units on p elements as well as body/html), the custom font sizes patch is kind of critical to be able to set font sizes to what you want. The 24 line spacing values patch is also useful when you want more choices for the smaller values.

And, there's also inconsistency between the same font size between identical EPUBs and KEPUBs, which there's a patch to fix.

Note related to display directly, but another patch I consider essential is the one I created to increase navigation history on the scrubber, which I find especially useful with non-fiction.

For usability, I also like the nickelmenu rotation stuff, since in some positions, it's easier to hold the Clara/etc with the thick part at the top.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 11:50 AM   #58
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
Google drive on Sage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
I have a Sage, I saw the Google mention in my changes screen, but I can't see how to set that up. I still only see Dropbox. Where should I look for that?
Does anyone else with a Sage have the mentioned Google Drive support? It looks like I should have it with these lines (below) in my config, but I only have Dropbox no Google Drive, no prompts to link Kobo to it, nothing in the settings etc.
Or is it one or the other, do I need to remove Dropbox to see the Google Drive option?

googledrive_link_account_start=https://authorize.kobo.com/{region}/{language}/linkcloudstorage/provider/google_drive
kobo_dropbox_link_account_enabled=True
kobo_googledrive_link_account_enabled=True
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 12:46 PM   #59
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I don't think I've seen spacing quite that bad on any of my books, but maybe I should try the hyphenation patch.
For me, every page was like that. Some worse.

Quote:
I don't really understand why it would impact spacing on lines where nothing is hyphenated, though.
The spaces are there because nothing is hyphenated. In the first image, the line beginning with 'were' could have the words pushed closer together, but it would require hyphenating 'imprisonment'. But since by default Kobo won't break that word extra spaces abound.
Old 06-25-2023, 12:48 PM   #60
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You only get the kepub if you update/sync by WiFi.
Yes. That is called 'using a Kobo as intended by the manufacturer.'

Tags
firmware, firmware release