Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2023, 02:48 PM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I stupidly left WiFi on, so I have 4.37 whether I want it or not.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 03:40 PM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Here's a new, probably unintentional change of behaviour. When Opening a in progress book from Home page, there is no full screen refresh, (even if set to refresh every page.) There is some resulting ghosting of images from the home page.
I've seen that occasionally on Sage on 4.35.x
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2023, 03:44 PM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
At least unlike Kindle, you can go back.
I'm sure you know
Quote:
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
Bottom of page
Versions
All previous versions by hardware revision.
[Show]
I tried WiFi update on the Libra 2, but nothing, so copied the download.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 04:48 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Here's a new, probably unintentional change of behaviour. When Opening a in progress book from Home page, there is no full screen refresh, (even if set to refresh every page.) There is some resulting ghosting of images from the home page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've seen that occasionally on Sage on 4.35.x
That behaviour has been there for many firmware revisions. I've commented several times but like many erratic problems, it's a pain to try to reproduce so it can be fixed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 06:16 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toady42 View Post
Find attached a screenshot from the following page https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us

eReader Update

If you received an email asking to update your eReader by May 25, 2023, please follow the steps in this article. Your eReader should have version number 4.35 or higher.
Once I update my Libra 2 and sort the patches, I can then update my H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2023, 10:08 PM   #36
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Quote:
LOL - I could leave my wifi on for 3 months and never get an update!
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 10:30 PM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But there could be some behind the scenes fixes that we don't know about.
Yep. And there could be some "behind the scenes" bugs that we don't know about. I usually wait for a bit (sometimes several "bits") before updating.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 10:58 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
At least unlike Kindle, you can go back.
Eh, not worth it. Kobo hasn't put out a truly Edsel level firmware release in a while. The only reason I wouldn't update is because I'm too lazy to do the patches.

Since I found out about the update today while I was in the office, I spent the day reading on unpatched firmware and... it was awful. Really, the word spacing on kepubs without hyphenation is just crummy. Nearly every page had notably bad spacing, where it would draw the eye just as a block of text.

Nook stupidly switched hyphenation off also. But their ePub layout (using RMSDK) is still SO much better than Kobo's kepub layout.

Other than hyphenation, I could do without patching. I like larger covers and dumping the third row from the home screen. But I could do without them.

But when it impacts reading, no.
Old 06-23-2023, 11:51 PM   #39
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Eh, not worth it. Kobo hasn't put out a truly Edsel level firmware release in a while. The only reason I wouldn't update is because I'm too lazy to do the patches.

Since I found out about the update today while I was in the office, I spent the day reading on unpatched firmware and... it was awful. Really, the word spacing on kepubs without hyphenation is just crummy. Nearly every page had notably bad spacing, where it would draw the eye just as a block of text.

Nook stupidly switched hyphenation off also. But their ePub layout (using RMSDK) is still SO much better than Kobo's kepub layout.

Other than hyphenation, I could do without patching. I like larger covers and dumping the third row from the home screen. But I could do without them.

There is a patch that improves word spacing in kepubs. I read kepubs on my Sage and with the patch and the 8'' screen it's pretty ok. But yeah, epubs do word spacing much better; that's why I read epubs on my Libra with its smaller screen.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 01:39 AM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
There is a patch that improves word spacing in kepubs. I read kepubs on my Sage and with the patch and the 8'' screen it's pretty ok. But yeah, epubs do word spacing much better; that's why I read epubs on my Libra with its smaller screen.
Oh, there's patches that do wonders for kepubs. Plus the better hyphenation dictionary and geometricPrecision.

I was talking about the unpatched kepub layout that sucks even with the brand new firmware.
Old 06-24-2023, 01:58 AM   #41
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Oh, there's patches that do wonders for kepubs. Plus the better hyphenation dictionary and geometricPrecision.

I was talking about the unpatched kepub layout that sucks even with the brand new firmware.
Well, I couldn't read without patches at all. I use at least 20 patches (possibly more). True, some are homescreen patches, but most are reading patches. I patch basically everything (font sizes, line height, top and bottom margins, word spacing and so on).

OTOH, I disable hyphenation, so the lack of that is only a plus for me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 02:58 AM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, I couldn't read without patches at all.
I didn't have a choice. The Kobo updated overnight and I discovered it when I took a break at work.

But I'm glad I used it unpatched for a while. I always update and then patch immediately.
Old 06-24-2023, 03:10 AM   #43
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Oh, there's patches that do wonders for kepubs.
Would you care to post a screenshot comparison of these wonders?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 05:01 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

RMSDK on Kobo has a better layout then KePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 05:42 AM   #45
MeiGuddet
MeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura (Mark 5)
Quote:
I think 4.35.x was that?
As I understand it, no. The listed devices are supposed to be on 4.35 or higher (by May 25), after which the 'critical update' will be released. But as I said, there is nothing about this in the notes for 4.37. Anyway, my Aura was already on 4.35. and now I have 4.37.
MeiGuddet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release