Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-21-2023, 08:08 PM   #1
cactusboy
cactusboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Do new Kindles tend to come with the latest firmware? Hoping to jailbreak.

Just curious if anyone knows whether a brand new Paperwhite is likely to come with the most recent firmware or not.

I bought a Paperwhite yesterday because of that awesome deal and I’m just curious if it’s likely to come fully updated.
cactusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 08:13 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
It usually takes a few weeks to months after realease before it comes new in box, but for the past several years, if wifi is enabled, kindles are pretty agressive about updating by the time setup is complete.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2023, 08:34 PM   #3
cactusboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It usually takes a few weeks to months after realease before it comes new in box, but for the past several years, if wifi is enabled, kindles are pretty agressive about updating by the time setup is complete.
so if I'm hoping to jailbreak this brand new device, do I just try to skip the usual setup process and go straight to demo mode?
Old 06-21-2023, 09:27 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusboy View Post
so if I'm hoping to jailbreak this brand new device, do I just try to skip the usual setup process and go straight to demo mode?
Unbreakabke firmware version have been released for quite a while. Check the manufacture date from the seiral number on the box.

I've never done a Watch This jailbreak and can offer no advice on it.

But it is likely to still be able to skip wifi setup during the overal setup.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 10:42 PM   #5
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2,3,5, Fire HDX 7"
Your best bet is to get a Kids PW5, those have the best chance to ship with 5.14.0.1, And yes you can skip connecting to Wi-Fi during setup by clicking on any network, then backing out, then it should give you the option to skip.

PW5 16GB models (and all the non-black colors) ships with 5.14.3 or newer from what I see.
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2023, 10:52 PM   #6
erk
Enthusiast
erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.

Device: SONY PRS505
The Kids PW5 ships with 5.14.3.0.1, even with a manufacturing date last September.
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 11:28 PM   #7
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

Device: kindle oasis; kobo elipsa/libra; pocketbook 741; SNA4X
side note, they make the kindle pw look so big in pictures :O but it is small!!
readthinksurvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:04 PM   #8
cactusboy

Just arrived today (it is a Kids version) and it indeed came with 5.14.0.1 firmware.

Now I'm trying to find a reputable source for 5.14.1.1 so that I can jailbreak it.
Old 06-23-2023, 05:12 AM   #9
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hey @cactusboy, congrats on the new Kindle! It's always exciting to get a new piece of tech. As for finding a reputable source for 5.14.1.1 firmware, I'd recommend looking at the official Amazon site. They keep an archive of all old Kindle firmware versions.

However, remember to proceed with caution when jailbreaking your device. While it can open up a lot of new possibilities, it can also potentially brick your device if done improperly. Also, any kind of modification like this will void your warranty.

Good luck with your Kindle journey!
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, jailbreak, paperwhite 5