Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-20-2023, 05:39 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Firmware 4.36.21095

Firmware 4.36.21095 has been released.

Automatically posted by kfwproxy.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 06:24 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Firmware 4.36.21095 has been released.

Automatically posted by kfwproxy.
From the notes for firmware 4.35.20400. 4.36.21095 is only for the Elipsa 2E.

Quote:
Discover
  • Our store now loads faster. Tap on the bottom of your screen to browse for your next read more quickly.

Reading Experience
  • When you close a PDF, your eReader will remember your most recent zoom level and position for when you reopen it.
  • We’ve added support so you can read in more languages. New fonts will be automatically applied when you open an eBook in Arabic, Armenian, Bengali, Canadian Aboriginal, Devanagari, Greek, Hebrew, Korean, or Tamil.

Miscellaneous
  • Fixed a bug where the keyboard was incorrectly positioned.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2023, 11:45 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'd been thinking it had been a long time since the last firmware release.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 05:32 AM   #4
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
I know this post is made automatically, but it would be much better if it can include the firmware link such as:
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 06:18 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post
I know this post is made automatically, but it would be much better if it can include the firmware link such as:
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
That link is given in the @geek1011's signature.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2023, 01:30 PM   #6
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That link is given in the @geek1011's signature.
Yeah, in case other people don't know, I can click the `kfwproxy` word and then get the link from the github page, or like you said, I can click `geek1011`'s profile and get the link from the signature part.

I'm just saying that the link can be included in the post so I can skip this step since this is already automatic.
Old 04-21-2023, 03:34 PM   #7
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Discover

Our store now loads faster. Tap on the bottom of your screen to browse for your next read more quickly.
Now if only Kobo would let me move the Discover button off my home screen entirely and put something useful in its place, like My Pocket Articles.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 04:22 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Now if only Kobo would let me move the Discover button off my home screen entirely and put something useful in its place, like My Pocket Articles.
SideLoadedMode = true

I disable/remove Pocket on Browsers and copy-paste-reformat in LO Writer, or sometimes use wget on an entire site and then Calibre import a docx or html to epub.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 04:24 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Yeah, in case other people don't know, I can click the `kfwproxy` word and then get the link from the github page, or like you said, I can click `geek1011`'s profile and get the link from the signature part.

I'm just saying that the link can be included in the post so I can skip this step since this is already automatic.
Click directly on sig in 1st post cuts out steps and is identical to the link you posted in terms of work/clicks
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:55 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is. It's in the signature, as Wolfie said. Right here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Signature.png
Views:	207
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	201168  
Old 04-22-2023, 09:21 AM   #11
codychan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It is. It's in the signature, as Wolfie said. Right here:
It is not there, check attachment.

---------------
UPDATE:

It turns out I have to check the Show Signatures under Thread Display Options in Settings of mobileread website.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-04-22_21-17.png
Views:	147
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	201188  
Old 04-22-2023, 04:14 PM   #12
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Firmware 4.36.21095

I'm installing it on my old Elipsa now just for giggles. (I've already backed up just to be safe.)

Question: When did Kobo start sticking the firmware in a folder within the zip file? I haven't done a manual update in quite some time.

At any rate, I can now happily put my notebooks into folders. You tap on "New", and you are given a prompt to create a Basic Notebook, an Advanced Notebook, or a folder. I'll be experimenting and reporting back later.

Last edited by Cootey; 04-22-2023 at 06:46 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 09:00 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
It is not there, check attachment.

---------------
UPDATE:

It turns out I have to check the Show Signatures under Thread Display Options in Settings of mobileread website.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:32 PM   #14
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I’ve noticed two bugs when moving notebooks into folders. 1) If you don’t tap well on a folder name, leaving it unselected, the Elipsa will move the notebook to the notebook’s current directory. 🤦🏻*♂️ 2) Sometimes the page doesn’t refresh after moving, leaving a ghost icon of a file that is no longer there. Trying to access that remnant gives you an error, of course. Refresh the page and the ghost icon goes away.

Otherwise, it’s nice to have the added organization. I’ve been pining for folders since I got the Elipsa in launch month two years ago. I’ll be looking over the release notes again to see what else has been improved.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 11:47 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I'm installing it on my old Elipsa now just for giggles. (I've already backed up just to be safe.)

Question: When did Kobo start sticking the firmware in a folder within the zip file? I haven't done a manual update in quite some time.

At any rate, I can now happily put my notebooks into folders. You tap on "New", and you are given a prompt to create a Basic Notebook, an Advanced Notebook, or a folder. I'll be experimenting and reporting back later.
The upgrade folder? That has been there for a long time. It's the hardware end of the upgrade. It's also the reason for the different hardware version firmware downloads since the collection for all Kobo's supported ereaders would give a very large firmware download. You will notice that the manifest.md5sum lists the MD5 checksums for the files in the upgrade folder.

Kobo's software is installed by the KoboRoot.tgz file and has few if any hardware dependencies though some bits such as the pen bits for most of the ereaders and the various images are left out or supplied in versions suited to the resolution of the destination devices.

I was just curious enough to check and placing all the hardware upgrades in the same directory along with the KoboRoot.tgz from the Elipsa/Sage firmware gives me a 300MB of files which added to a .zip file using 7Zip's high compression give a 233MB file compared to the Elipsa/Sage's 140MB file or the Elipsa 2E's 125MB file. Using 7Zip's 7Z compression gave me a 174MB file but it needs 140MB of working memory to decompress.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-22-2023 at 11:49 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release