Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2022, 08:18 AM   #1
acanthicus
Connoisseur
acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-350, PRS-T3
Sony Reader: self made cover with original or printed spine

Hello,
not sure if this is of interest to some of you who still uses the old sony readers with the plastic spine. But I like to describe my procedure.
My covers were literally falling apart, so I tried to make new ones. With the PRS 505 I used the original spine which I removed from the original cover. For my 650 the spine broke, so I printed the two parts with my 3d printer. I used:
-Cardboard 2mm (too thick) and 1mm (better)
-Sticky faux leather (or whatever you prefer)
-original 2 part spine or printed ones (left is the "lower" and right the "upper" part)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spine gedruckt.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	196352

-cutter, scalpel, cutting mat
-my good old sewing machine from my grandmother

1. Cut the cardboard matching the old cover

Name:	Pappe.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	196350

2. Place the two cardboard parts on the sticky faux leather with a space in between (for the spine and the folds)

Name:	KLeben.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	196347

3. Place the lower part of the spine in the middle between the cardboards

Name:	Spine 1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	196351

4. Cover everything with a second sheet of sticky faux leather, you see the bulge of the spine in the middle better in one of the next pictures

Name:	Innenseite.jpg
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	196349

5. Cut the overhangs

Name:	Zuschneiden.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	196357

6. Now you have to cut holes in the sticky f. l. to free the holes in the lower spine. In the picture below I used a second spine to localize the holes

Name:	Unbenannt-1.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	196354

7. Holes

Name:	Loecher.JPG
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	196356

8. Attach the upper part of the spine to see if everything fits and the holes are big enough

Name:	Spine.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	196353

9. Remove the upper part of the spine to sew the margins. I did that to prevent the fraying of the edges and because it looks good (in theory...)

Name:	naehen.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	196355

10. Okay, some problems: my cardboard is a little bit small because I forgot the width of the spine itself, when I measured it, and the seam is not very good because the thread tension was too low, although I had tried the seam on the leftovers, but here it is:

Name:	Fertig.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	196346

I printed the spine with nylon. Time will tell if everything is stable enough.

Last edited by acanthicus; 09-07-2022 at 01:02 PM.
acanthicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:19 AM   #2
Spinningwoman
Connoisseur
Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1

I was wondering about doing exactly that - my Sony 350 cover has started to shed bits of itself everywhere. I’ve also just acquired a Sony 505 (with no cover) and was wondering about making one somehow. But with the latter, I can’t get it to read books on the SD card at the moment and if I can’t crack that it won’t be much use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Spinningwoman; 09-13-2022 at 10:21 AM.
Spinningwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2022, 10:51 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The PRS-350 fits either a photo snapshot album with insides ripped out or an A6 notebook with insides cut out. Use either a springy bent wire to hook into top & bottom holes (duck taped to where spine was) or self adhesive Velcro with felt on back of the PRS-350 and hooks on rear inside of cover.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:14 AM   #4
Spinningwoman
Connoisseur
Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I’ve got the 505 working now (the SD card I was using was too big a capacity so I dug out an old one from my Palm days!) So if you ever thought of 3D printing a 505 spine, I’d buy one from you!

Old 09-14-2022, 10:40 AM   #5
acanthicus
Connoisseur
acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-350, PRS-T3
Good that it is working again. It is a beautiful piece of gadget! Especially with PRS+. And I love those buttons.
I'm using a Sony "memory stick pro duo" with 4 GB. You can still buy some "pro-HG duo" sticks at amazon, but I'm not sure if they would work in the reader.
I do have a printed spine for the 505, but the print is not flawless and a tight fit. I can not guarantee that it will not break and loose the reader. Where do you live? I'm in Germany.

Last edited by acanthicus; 09-14-2022 at 10:45 AM.
acanthicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2022, 11:00 AM   #6
Spinningwoman
Connoisseur

I had never heard of those memory stick duo things before, but saw they had them on Amazon and bought a 16gb one on spec - it works! Though of course I haven’t filled it yet, so it’s possible that it may not recognise all the storage. I am in the U.K. - if you did print a spine I’d be happy to pay for it and the P&P. If it breaks, I’ll go back to the idea of Velcro or bent wire and not blame you! Thanks!

Old 09-17-2022, 01:27 PM   #7
Spinningwoman
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by acanthicus View Post
Good that it is working again. It is a beautiful piece of gadget! Especially with PRS+. And I love those buttons.
I'm using a Sony "memory stick pro duo" with 4 GB. You can still buy some "pro-HG duo" sticks at amazon, but I'm not sure if they would work in the reader.
I do have a printed spine for the 505, but the print is not flawless and a tight fit. I can not guarantee that it will not break and loose the reader. Where do you live? I'm in Germany.

I’ve pmed you.